Past Carnival Guest Benefits

Cardinala

So, I'm filling out my funpass this morning. I get to the spot about past guest. I had no problem filling out mine, but since my wife's last name changed when we got married in the summer, it could not find her as a past guest. There was a message to call Carnival that popped up, and they fixed the problem.

Now, to my question...

What benefit is it to be a past guest?

Perhaps it means nothing at all, except for them to be able to track you in some way. I supposed if you booked directly through them, you may get a small discount, or a bump in room "when available"(which may not even be a discount depending on the price you get from another travel agency). But, I can't understand why it's needed when filling out the funpass.

Anyone have any info for me?

Thanks

Really, free drinks? Not just little cocktail shooters? And when do they give you this invitation? On embarkation? Is the party at night or during the day?

yes, free drinks. They will come around with drinks already made up but you can request anything you like. I believe you get the invitation the day before the past quests party. And if I remember correrctly it is late afternoon or early evening, depending on your dining assignment.

about this party is watching the expression of the folks around you as your 14 year old claps for every Carnival ship he has been on (sometimes more than once) and then they ask you...has he really been on that many ships.

yep!

Is it only for past guests or can the other people in your cabin attend too? I've been on one cruise before, but my dm and dd haven't...I might feel kind of stupid all by myself! :confused:

Just take the invitation with you when you go - I don't think they will check to see if your mom and dad were invited or not.

I see you are from Iowa, too. What city?

The past guest party is ONLY on cruises 5 days or longer.

Also, you can order whatever drinks you want from the bar, you don't have to drink what they pass around (which is basically sour mix, I can't drink any of those things!!! :D)

You can drink alot of free drinks in an hour :D It's worth it. They have a giveaway as well. Last week it was for dinner in the supper club, for 2. Better than a bottle of champagne :D

You get all of the above AND much more on the other mass market cruise lines. They all have some form of a past guest party with free drinks, etc.

Carnival is very fortunate they still successfully attract many of us back for follow-up cruises for our repeat dose of the "fun ship" experience. That said, repeat cruiser benefits and other things like on-board booking credits for future cruises are very appealing and these are increasingly attracting me to the other lines.

Rowan555 and I have had that same discussion.

My question to Carnival corporate recently was "now that our whole family is heavy platinum, why continue with Carnival? The perks we have gotten have been nice, but if Princess and RCCL offer better perks, why not start a new relationship with them since there will be better perks down the road?"

Our oldest son will be off to college next year, so we will be free to do 3 to 5 cruises a year, since we won't be tied to the school schedule. It wouldn't take long to reach that Elite Princess level at that rate. Looking at the perks they offer, why should those 3-5 cruises a year be with Carnival?

As I told Rowan, I realize that Princess' cruises are more expensive from the ones I have looked at....but some are very close price wise.

I did make several suggestions that cost almost no money. Like Skipper's Club for those with 20 Carnival cruises are more. If they can give it away as part of some "club" business that isn't even owned by Carnival...certainly their loyal customers deserve no less.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Another BIGGIE I mentioned was the free internet access for platinums - for me, that would be a HUGE perk. I run my own business and HAVE to check email while on vacation. Due to the high cost on board, I generally try to check in port. I would make my cruise much more enjoyable if I could just hop online each day during some downtime and see if I need to email any of my customers. It wouldn't cost the cruise line anything, and it would definitely give me a reason to stick with Carnival.

I also think Carnival could do a better job of individually thanking people for their continued patronage. SableRose is in the process of sharing her VIP treatment experience on the Conquest last week, and I think Carnival would REALLY win some points if they could show even a fraction of what they showed SableRose to some other guests. I had several major issues/problems with Carnival bookings recently - from cancelled cruises to being treated rather badly while trying to book on the Conquest while we were evacuated from New Orleans, to having an internet travel agency try to steal over $300 from me for cancelling a Sensation cruise when Carnival actually cancelled the darned thing. I'm not EXPECTING any sort of special treatment, but Carnival is aware of all of these things, and a fruit basket or even a mention of the situation while on board would make a BIG impact on me. Just something unexpected to let me as a repeat customer know that Carnival wants my business, and they acknowledge that there have been some major speedbumps in my relationship with Carnival in the past two months. I am not one to gripe or complain or to blame things on Carnival when it's outside their control, but many people in my shoes would have, and a little damage control via special treatment goes a LONG way.

Another BIGGIE I mentioned was the free internet access for platinums
Won't ever happen.

Cultivating repeat customers is not a huge priority for the cruise line. The ships sail full every week. For every passenger who doesn't come back because of better perks elsewhere, others are eagerly queuing up to take their place. So the ships sail full regardless, and Uncle Bob saves the expense of an unnecessary loyalty program.

Won't ever happen.

Cultivating repeat customers is not a huge priority for the cruise line. The ships sail full every week. For every passenger who doesn't come back because of better perks elsewhere, others are eagerly queuing up to take their place. So the ships sail full regardless, and Uncle Bob saves the expense of an unnecessary loyalty program.

And for now, Carnival will continue to get my business WITHOUT the perks - my kids love Carnival, and we'll continue to cruise on Carnival as the ships return to NOLA. If Princess were to ever bring ships here, though, it would be VERY tempting to switch over after reading how well they treat repeat cruisers. You're right,though, Carnival fills its ships pretty well and doesn't NEED to spend anything more than they do to keep people coming back. And while Princess spends more on their loyalty program, their cruises also cost more, and there are more "charges" for various things during the cruise on Princess from what I've read. In the end, most people will choose the better value over a pricier cruise with a great loyalty program.

Sorry, I just don't agree that Princess costs more or Carnival is necessarily the best value.

Take a look at the 7 day Caribbean itineraries out of Florida for next fall. You'll find Valor and Glory are within $100 or less of Caribbean Princess for a balcony stateroom for most dates. This fall, our cruise on the CB was cheaper than any comparable itinerary we looked at on Carnival. Add in the the future cruise credit deal and the pricing even gets better. There ARE great values on Princess and other lines too.

The best deal we ever got was our last Celebrity cruise.

One thing I just thought of - even if Carnival can fill its ships with fresh batches of new cruisers each week, I'm not sure that's the most desirable course of action. IMO first time cruisers are very much a mixed bag, and are MUCH more likely to be pains in the ass than repeat cruisers who know what to expect and what NOT to expect out of a cruise in general and a cruise line in particular. Fostering a good relationship with repeat cruisers means more people will keep coming back again and again, and new cruisers will trickle in as needed. If it was MY cruise line I would definitely want to keep the same people coming back again and again - and free internet access and priority embarkation and debarkation would be a NICE, LOW COST start.

In my opinion, it's not enough. Carnivals business is largely based on repeat cruisers. They need a better group of perks.

Actually, I believe that the largest percentage of cruisers on Carnival, are first time cruisers or first time Carnival cruisers... true, they rely on repeat business, and they will always get that, because it is a good value, and fun ships... but first time cruisers tend to gravitate to Carnival, that is primarily who they are after.

As for perks... I'd rather get a rock bottom price, and good value for my money... I really could care less about perks. That is just me... I want what I pay for... I don't like "loyalty" cards at grocery stores either though... give me the best price you can give me, NOW... not after I buy from you for a while... NOW! I'm happy then :D

I too, have to spend $100 or more on internet access due to our business back home... then again, that is my choice and not all past cruisers are going to use the internet... if that was a perk, it wouldn't make the people very happy that don't want to use the internet. People would never be happy... free drinks? Not good for the people that don't drink. Where do they draw the line... you can't make everyone happy. Priority embarkation... yes, I would go for that one.

Fostering a good relationship with repeat cruisers means more people will keep coming back again and again, and new cruisers will trickle in as needed. If it was MY cruise line I would definitely want to keep the same people coming back again and again.

Thank you! You stated that better than I did... but I agree whole-heartedly. There have been a number of things that have happened recently with Carnival that has made DH and I begin looking into other cruise lines. We kind of feel like Carnival has a "oh who needs you!" attitude towards repeat customers. I for one, would like to get on the ship before everybody else... how much would it cost Carnival to make that happen? I would like to have a bottle of wine in my room for each cruise I take now that I've been a few times... There ARE little things that they can do to foster good relationships... and there is proof on these boards that they can and do do those things for people.

Okay people... think about what you are proposing... if they let all past cruisers get on the ship early, do you really think you are going to get on the ship early??? LOL! Get to the ship early, and you will get on earlier... earlier than anyone else :p

And what do you do for the people that don't drink wine? Are people really going to go to other cruiselines because they don't get a $5 bottle of wine? I don't think so... Sure, it would be nice... but if it means MY cruise price going up so everyone that has cruised before gets a bottle of wine? No thank you... I'll buy you a $5 bottle of wine :D Seriously, in looking at the other lines, the price is comparable on some, higher on most... but regardless of what is offered to me, I will cruise on a line I like. Just because someone gives you something for free, does not necessarily mean you will have a better time or pay a lower price. If you seriously don't want to cruise with Carnival because you are not being rewarded enough... then go cruise the other lines, but remember, NOTHING in this world is free ;) When something comes up on another line that interests me, I'll do it... but it won't be because I get something for free :D

Archived