Jewel inside cabin for 4?

stephanie333

I've read a few old posts about what the sleeping arrangements look like when you are sleeping four in an inside cabin and it seems like there are different ways (2 beds and then 2 upper beds or 2 beds, 1 upper, and 1 trundle). My question is, is there a way to figure out BEFORE you get there which way your room is?

More info in you care :)

I've booked two rooms. On the map, one has the icon that states "holds 3" and one room that states "holds 4". Going on the trip is me, DH, 3 kids, and my mom. It would be great if it's 2 upper and 2 lower then my mom and the kids will have one room. But if it's a trundle (which seems like it's one big bed going from one side of the room to the other side), then that would be hard for my mom to get in and out of.

Thanks! :)

Not sure how you find out, NCL or travel agent should be able to tell you. I can tell you the 1 up and a trundle with 4 people is a challenge and requires good sense of humor for everyone, of course we had 4 full size people when we did it, kids might be slightly easier......:rolleyes:

Be thankful 4 of you are not booked on the *Away "Insides" - we've never done more than 3 adults to an inside with the Dawn/Jewel/Gem class ships.

On the trundle bed, with all 3 set-up for sleeping, it's wall-to-wall, but you can ask the Room Steward to arrange an U shape layout instead - one of the single bed moved further away from the backwall, making room for the 3rd. bed to turn 90 degree alongside the backwall - where the "headboards" are. There is enough spacing for everyone to sit on the bed & read, etc.

The same setup can be done for sleeping 4 as the pullman bed that drop down will be over the lower bunk below it. Cozy but you are saving money to do other things while cruising - think positive.

Search here among the older thread/post - I've posted those linked pictures before on what it looked like (done by another CC'er)

Be thankful 4 of you are not booked on the *Away "Insides" - we've never done more than 3 adults to an inside with the Dawn/Jewel/Gem class ships.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell this newbie what you mean by Away Insides? :confused: ;)

thanks! :D

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell this newbie what you mean by Away Insides? :confused: ;)

thanks! :D

Ooops - sorry about that. BTW, welcome to CC as a newbie ;)

*Away as in the NCL Breakaway or NCL Getaway, the 2 mega-ships and the newer Escape, which is slightly different - these are 4,500+ pax monsters with 18 decks around 150,000 tonnage vs. the Jewel/Dawn/Gem class ships, all "older" ~ 10 to 15 years around 90,000 tonnage with up to 2,500 pax and 15 decks. Lots of times, we just refer to the big ones as *.Away ships (* being wildcard character)

Anyway, this is one of the older post - discussing one of sister ship, the GEM - similar and a porthole Oceanview (OV) stateroom - sleeping up to 4 - to give you some visuals on what it looked like. The "Inside" stateroom would be a little smaller (shorter) but otherwise, very similar if not identical.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2326583&highlight=Trundle+bed

Post #5 on this thread - has the link to the U shape setup, should explain itself vs. the standard setup - this is an Inside & looked shorter for its depth (length)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2400450&highlight=Trundle+bed

There are 6 of you booked into 2 rooms, 1 sleeping 4 and 1 sleeping 3 - look at the deck map & should be easy, or, am I not clear on what your question is ??

P.S. There's plenty of storage space & 15" height under the beds to store your suitcase - try to pack & travel light, don't take the kitchen sink along.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks mking8288 for the links! Yes, we have two rooms that *sleep* 7 and we are only 6, so I'm not worried about that. I wanted to see if you could tell by the room category or something if the 4 person room would have a trundle with 1 pull down or if it has 2 pull downs? I'm not sure if there are 2 pull downs in any NCL inside rooms on the Jewel. Thanks :)

I don't think we can tell by looking at those deck plans alone on whether it's 3+1 or 2+2 upper. It's well over 10 years but I've seen insides on the "Dawn" with 2 upper pullman, those layouts are rare/limited - before the Jewel & Gem were launched.

The 3+1 upper (with the trundle) are more common. Sorry, don't have a specific answer on whether the Jewel has any 2+2 with the Insides.

Are both rooms next to each other or close by, depending on the sailing date & occupancy as it get closer and/or if fares drop further before final payment cutoff, call & ask as you can do a free upgrade to an Oceanview (obstructed ones usually the cheapest, besides the GTY or Guaranteed) at no charge ... or, pay a nominal difference to upgrade ... 4 people will surely appreciate the little extra elbow space as it will be a bit roomier.

Triptolemus - any details from your recollection ?? BTW, nice/sharp picture sample on the setup !

Edited by mking8288

When I originally booked our upcoming Panama Canal cruise, I had an inside cabin (I believe it was 4549) and the NCL agent told me there were two upper beds. It was just my husband and I, so I didn't think much of it. I later found out, from some comments here on CC, that trying to get in and out of bed with those upper beds jutting out into the cabin would not be ideal, as my husband is quite tall. Luckily, he found us another cabin that didn't have those.

You are right about not being able to tell on the deck plans if there are two upper beds. You might just try giving NCL a call and see if they can tell you. Someone here may have stayed in one of the cabins you booked and they could let you know.

Have a great cruise! The Jewel is a wonderful ship.

When I originally booked our upcoming Panama Canal cruise, I had an inside cabin (I believe it was 4549) and the NCL agent told me there were two upper beds. It was just my husband and I, so I didn't think much of it. I later found out, from some comments here on CC, that trying to get in and out of bed with those upper beds jutting out into the cabin would not be ideal, as my husband is quite tall. Luckily, he found us another cabin that didn't have those.

You are right about not being able to tell on the deck plans if there are two upper beds. You might just try giving NCL a call and see if they can tell you. Someone here may have stayed in one of the cabins you booked and they could let you know.

Have a great cruise! The Jewel is a wonderful ship.

The pullmans are up in the ceiling, I don't think you would know that they were even there if not pulled down. OP, if there is a trundle, can one of the kids sleep with you?

I understand that in some cabins the pullmans may be in the ceiling, but the agent told me that these were attached to the side walls. The width of them when folded up against the wall would protrude into the cabin. I didn't want to risk DH bumping his head in the middle of the night!

I've been looking at Oceanview and inside cabins for 4 on the Gem (which is a sister ship to Jewel) and they seem to all have only one upper bunk bed and it folds out of the wall. The fourth person would have a trundle bed that goes either in between the twin beds (making the wall to wall beds) or as someone mentioned making a U shape instead with the trundle under the back wall (or window if an OV). That seems like a better option. But they don't have two upper bunk beds if that's what you're looking for.

Yes, depending on this class of ships, some of the upper/pullman bed recessed into the ceiling (those are excellent) but others flip up and NOT flushed against the long wall - on a 2+2 setup to sleep 4, a taller person on the bottom can get up and bang her/his head against the upper bed frame (it's solid metal -goin' hurt). This is from the Pearl, same as the one on the Jewel and the Gem (also, found my original link) -

http://cdn.sixthman.net/images/norwegian/pearl/cabins/quad-ocean-view.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Gem%202012%20Photos/SDC10335.JPG

We've stayed in balconies and seen the 4th bed (3rd. bed is the single 3-sectional sofa, very thin padding ... ask for extra "egg crates") disappearing or coming out of the ceiling, dropping down - over the sofa. Those aren't as nice as the newer Breakaway & Getaway setup for balconies sleeping 4.

BTW, these are supposed to have a weight limit of 250 lbs. for the upper bed ... with a "low" safety guard rail (no "safety" netting in case the person roll over & could ... well). With the hideaway trundle bed raised, it'll be almost level with the Queen beds right next to it - our Room Steward said that it's actually possibly to put extra padding over the 3 beds combined into one giant oversized King Bed ... for those of us used to one at home, LOL.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Gem%202012%20Photos/SDC10573-Quad%20Beds.jpg

Here, the upper/pullman or 4th bed is hanging against the wall. It was just 2 of us, so we moved our Queen bed against the other wall & had "extra" room on one side & zero chance of head hitting the upper bed frame.

Call NCL and speak to the agent - they are supposed to have access to details not shown & possibly/should be able to help find out the specific stateroom's extra bed arrangement.

Edited by mking8288

There were 4 in an inside room on the Jewel when we traveled in the Spring of 2015 and it was fine. The room did have two upper and two lower beds . I bet if you call your cruise consultant they can give you a better description of the room. Happy cruising!