Diamond Update ??

regnig

Since I can't seem to locate a current posting from the Diamond by Steve (srphnx) do we assume they are still having problems with their internet connections? I've yet to uncross my fingers that he got moved to a mini-suite. I really really really hope me that the bunch on board is having a great cruise.

If someone on board does manage to post a message somebody keep it at the top so we can all enjoy it.

Crown '93,Star '94, Regal '95,

Sun '96, Crown '97, Dawn '98,

Dawn '99, Sun 2000, Dawn '01,

Grand '02, Coral '03,Star 6/28/03, Sun 3/10/04, Star 02/27/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2005;2;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Star Princess Sailing

This is Steve's last report, yesterday morning

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-25-04 06:34 AM

I am on her at this time, checking in, we are making good time, about 18 knots, we are not at maximum and did leave port about 12 hours late, this caused the schedule change, not many people happy about it. Princess announced a few hours ago they would make the $500 credit fully refundable and would be refunding port fees for missed ports as well.

Over all we feel they have done better than most lines would have under the circumstances but there are many upset about missing Juneau.

As if we weren't having enough fun there is a viral outbreak and the horizon court has sanitiszers and you can not serve your self.

Ship feels rock solid, and we make Skagway port in about 2 hours from now.

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Bump....

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2005;2;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Star Princess Sailing

The latest posting from Cruise News Daily, "---We now have further deatails about the incident on the Diamond Princess. The ship is proceeding smoothly, and after the current cruise, Princess anticipates no changes."

HI we are in the Seattle airport just getting off the Diamond, everything that could of went wrong did, at least we got back on time so the next cruise will leaaave on time. had a real bad experience did not stop in Juneau, or Victoria, did not get to get into Tracy Arms because of icebergs,had a couple of cases of the virus, this morning the luggage got off backwards, and people were again upset , it did not affect us. we never could get online every time we went up it was not connecting, all in all, we had a good time, the Diamond is a beautiful ship, but we really went to see Alaska, will write a review when we get home. hope everyone leaving today has a smooth trip, since the ship got to dock on time

Enjoy the calm before the storm, folks! I've got a feeling it's going to get interesting around here when the current crop of Diamond pax makes their return.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Oh my! Having been to Alaska twice without incident (except for too much wind to actually get off the ship in Victoria) I can say that I am very sad for those passengers, especially if they would only get to go to Alaska ONCE an not get another chance.

Things happen and it's unfortunate. You can still have a great time, but Alaska is a bit different than a "Sun and fun" cruise. You generally go for the ports.

Did I understand correctly that they didn't even get to cruise Tracy Arm? icon_frown.gif That would indeed be reason for a tear or two in my eyes. But, it's fate and not the fault of the crew.

I will be checking into further reviews as time goes on here.

JJ

Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Star Princess 5/24/03

Sun Princess 6/12/00

Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

Oh my.... icon_eek.gif Everyone knew they were going to miss Juneau and possibly Victoria but to miss Tracy Arms too is awful. icon_frown.gif That was the part of that trip that I loved the most. As far as the internet goes that wouldn't bother me in the least and there isn't much that can be done beyond what Princess already does to keep an outbreak of the virus under control. But no Tracy Arms.......... icon_eek.gificon_frown.gificon_eek.gif

We all need to take up a collection and see to it Steve gets to make the trip again (how about on the Star) so he gets to experience the 'oh my God' blue glaicer.

No storm here, We did cruise Stacy arm but didn't get to Sawyer Glacier as the ice field was a bit soupy. We did try for Victoria afterall but there were 40mph winds and the Diamond couldn't hold position even with large tug assisting. We disembarked with a minimum of fuss, all smooth for a nice change. They gave the abandoned cabins to those who screamed the loudest in the complaint line, we being polite got a letter lying to us telling us that only insides came open, a clear falsehood but we didn't have a RIGHT to an upgrade, just a want of one.

I do hope in a perverse way that people whine and whimper about the cruise, it may slow down bookings and get me some better rates in future, we have booked two more opens and are trying to scrounge together money for a July run back to Alaska. Anyone want to sponsor a fat, funny guy who will tell you how great it was? icon_biggrin.gif

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Glad you are back safe and sound. When you have a moment we would like to hear all of the gorry(s) details icon_confused.gif of your trip. It sounds like you had a great time. There must of been some good things about the trip. Hope to hear from you soon.

Marilyn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anyone want to sponsor a fat, funny guy who will tell you how great it was?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>we being polite got a letter lying to us telling us that only insides came open <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, only the less affluent pax with only 2 weeks vacation per year got off the ship. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the update.

Steve

Golden 2/04

Grand 11/03

The three most exciting sounds in the world: Anchor chains, plane motors, and train whistles....George Bailey

Steve welcome home. Only the best of cruisers would respond with 'No storm here'! Great going for you and yours. We really would like to hear about the good times you had on your trip. Something tells me you made certain you made many. I know those of us on this board knew you would not be one who 'screamed the loudest in the complaint line'. Give yourself a pat on the back for that.

Those two open booking speak volumns. icon_smile.gif

Hey Srphnx,

Hi Neighbor, glad you're back, have missed your posts! Sounds like you made the best of an unfortunte situation. No cruise is a bad cruise! 7 more days until the Regal. Waiting for a full report. I expect your flight home was uneventful! Phyllis

Hi All, we just returned from the Diamond Princess Cruise and although a lot of things went wrong we had a wonderful time and I think all who stayed the course did too. Never met up with srphx (sorry, we just forgot after all the confusion), but did have great conversations with other Cruise Critic friends. The $500 credit meant that we just about broke even on our room charges, so that was great. I would like to have seen Juneau and the glacier, but you know it's just fun cruising. Skagway and Ketchikan were fun and we enjoyed our time there. Missing Victoria wasn't much of a disappointment since the time there was so short. Everyone tried their best to make this a great cruise and as far as we were concerned they succeeded.

Kate

sorry wrong choice of words, we did cruise into Tracy arms, just never made it to the glacier because of icy waters, saw lots of hugh icebergs, but was disappointed we didnt get up close to see the glacier, a rough week for disappointments, but did enjoy the cruise

Just got off the Diamond today also. The ship was beautiful, our mini-suite with balcony was georgeous and the food (other than the buffet) was very good. The excursions we went on in skagway (hike and float trip) and ketchikan (sportfishing) were wonderful. Overall, the weather was good this week. It was a great disappointment not to get all the way to the end in Tracy Arm. I wonder if that ship is simply too big for a narrow canal like that. I didn't care about missing Victoria,although I'm always up for seeing a new place. I was very disappointed about Juneau, as it was the highlight of the trip for me. I don't understand why they didn't cancel Skagway instead, as it was the northernmost point on the trip. Juneau seemed to be the most anticipated port among the people I spoke with. Although I did appreciate the $500 per cabin credit offered by Princess, I intend to write and ask for a discount on repeating the exact same intinerary. I do not think I got to see Alaska at all.

PS-The spa and gym areas are great. This ship is very much like the Grand Princess in that regard.

Possibly the reason Juneau was cancelled is they couldn't get there on the scheduled day due to the late sailing. They can't just stop there any day they feel. No room at the inn....

Mr. Mac

MrMacCruises

Next Up:

Diamond Princess 7/31/04 in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;7;31;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Pride 09/19/04 in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;9;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived