Taxi or Shuttle Post Cruise to Airport

CherryG

We have never needed to go directly to the airport after our cruise before, but this time we do. What is the best course of action for us to take - grab a taxi when we depart the cruise terminal, or arrange with Holland America to shuttle us to the airport. Has anyone done both and is one better than the other? Is it difficult to actually get a taxi? Is the cost comparable? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

What port are you flying home from?

What time is your flight?

With the shuttles, you have to wait until the bus is completely filled before it goes to the airport which can take some time.

If you flying out of Ft Lauderdale -- take a taxi -- there are tons of them outside the terminal and it is a short ride to the airport.

Hi there

You don't mention where your ship docks or which airport you are trying to get to so it would be hard to give specific comparison of prices.

Generally the ship transfer will be more than a taxi if there is more than one person together. The reason that most people do not like taking the ships transfer is that they have to wait for the bus to fill. These are usually large buses, so if you are first to board you may have to wait some time before they get going.

Depending on your specific circumstance a private shuttle might bet the cheapest. You can get more information if you look at the threads dedicated to your return port.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Thanks for the replies. We are travelling to Toronto out of Fort Lauderdale, terminal 2, at 3:55 pm. It sounds like grabbing a taxi would be the best for us. It's just the two of us and I don't like that we would have to wait for a shuttle to fill up.

We are travelling to Toronto out of Fort Lauderdale, terminal 2, at 3:55 pm. It sounds like grabbing a taxi would be the best for us.

Yes, taxi is best, quick and easy. By the way, there is no flat rate between the two points, nor is a regular cab charged per person. It is on the meter and it should run you between $12 - $15 (plus tip) per cab. Do not let the driver tell you it is a flat rate.

Thanks for the replies. We are travelling to Toronto out of Fort Lauderdale, terminal 2, at 3:55 pm. It sounds like grabbing a taxi would be the best for us. It's just the two of us and I don't like that we would have to wait for a shuttle to fill up.

Definitely take a taxi. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is a very short drive away from the Port in Ft. Lauderdale - like under 15 minutes under normal circumstances. I sure as heck would NOT bother with a HAL bus transfer - much, much slower and you have to wait until the bus is full to depart.

I would not want to be sitting in the airport all that time

If you arrive early see if you can get on an earlier flight maybe a small fee

or see if HAL offers a tour & drops you at the airport

I would opt for a taxi, if I were you. The shuttles can be a hassle. Another option which we have used a couple of times, is arranging for a private car service. That way, the service meets you at a set time and takes you directly where you want to go. In my experience, it was surprisingly affordable.

You do not nee to even think about rushing. In fact you have enough time to take a ship sponsored excursion before you go to the airport.

As far as cost a cab will be the least expensive. Keep in mind if you rush to the airport you are likely to be waiting 6+ hours for your flight.