Epic changes port to another country

AussieKathy

I am booked on the Epic on 15 October 2017. I received an email today telling me that the ship will now be leaving from Barcelona instead of Rome and major changes to all the ports and I have 3 days to contact them or my cruise will be cancelled. They are offering $50 onboard credit for balcony cabins as compensation.

I planned my whole holiday around this cruise with accommodation and flights from Australia and they offer you $50 compensation. I now have to get to Barcelona I'm locked into Spain as that is where I fly home from. I have accommodation booked at Rome port that is non refundable.

Lucky I have travel insurance with my credit card which will hopefully cover everything

Just so annoying they can make such a major change and treat their customers so badly as you can see below I'm a loyal NCL platinum customer who may not be in the future if they don't offer something better than $50. This has wrecked so many peoples holidays. Rumour is the change was for a charter and they wanted to leave from Barcelona. 8 October sailings also had all their ports changed

I've seen a couple other post about this. It really sucks, and a $50 OBC as compensation is a joke. Hopefully you are fully reimbursed one way or another. People book international air early. They have no business doing this less than a year out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this sucks, but I also think booking airfare and nonrefundable hotels > 9 months out is also a bit crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure does! You book 9 months out to get cheap airfares! Looks like everyone on the two roll calls had their airfares booked so some very unhappy people

Edited by AussieKathy
Typo

Sure does! You book 9 months out to get cheap airfares! Looks like everyone on the two roll calls had their airfares booked so some very unhappy people

Their airline rebooking charges should at least be reimbursed even in the form of OBC, after presentation of proof of purchase before the itinerary change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my German NCL brochure, which is valid from June 2016 - October 2017

which arrived late in 2015. Epic is printed as follows:

Sailing dates October 8th and 22nd departs from Barcelona to Rome ( Civit. )

Sailing dates October 15th and 29th departs Rome to Barcelona.

Why would they be different in a non European Country ????

Sorry for your mess up and I hope you get it sorted quickly.

Happy cruising

Stephen

Sorry for your mess up and I hope you get it sorted quickly.

Happy cruising

Stephen

Hi Stephen NCL has changed the itinerary this week my cruise on 15 October now leaves from Barcelona instead of Rome. They have changed just about all the Epic cruises in October

So wrong such a major change. People are booked on B2B cruises going to nearly identical ports.

Previously announced in this thread (and in all the roll calls):

Departure port and itinerary changed.

This is a change to what was published in the brochure. The information in your brochure is no longer accurate. All four cruises are now Barcelona to Barcelona, with the same itinerary as the rest of the season. You can also embark in Civitavecchia 3 days later.

Passengers booked on these cruises can try calling NCL to ask for further compensation, but in general, everything you book for yourself around the cruise (hotels, flights) is your responsibility, and you assume the risk for all of that (or purchase insurance to cover it). The earlier you book this stuff, the greater the risk that something will come up, whether it's a change to the cruise, or something else in the world or in your life.

Hi Stephen NCL has changed the itinerary this week my cruise on 15 October now leaves from Barcelona instead of Rome. They have changed just about all the Epic cruises in October

So wrong such a major change. People are booked on B2B cruises going to nearly identical ports.

Hi Kathy. I feel for you and think it appalling that any cruise line can market a cruise, accept bookings and then make such drastic changes to itineraries to accommodate a charter. I would also consider that level of compensation to be totally unacceptable. I have read a similar thread where it was suggested that NCL would also cover up to US $200 to cover airfare changes. You might need to follow that up.

Meanwhile, kerryincork has made a good suggestion regarding flights between Rome and Barcelona. The low cost airline Ryanair have four flights a day over that route with seats costing from AUD $41 per person. Seat selection and hold baggage are extras at AUD $6 per seat and AUD $27 for a 15 kgs bag and AUD $37 for 20 kgs. All those are at toaday's exchange rate and must be booked online.

I hope that you are able to sort this out to your total satisfaction and can enjoy your cruise.

Hi Kathy. I feel for you and think it appalling that any cruise line can market a cruise, accept bookings and then make such drastic changes to itineraries to accommodate a charter. I would also consider that level of compensation to be totally unacceptable. I have read a similar thread where it was suggested that NCL would also cover up to US $200 to cover airfare changes. You might need to follow that up.

Meanwhile, kerryincork has made a good suggestion regarding flights between Rome and Barcelona. The low cost airline Ryanair have four flights a day over that route with seats costing from AUD $41 per person. Seat selection and hold baggage are extras at AUD $6 per seat and AUD $27 for a 15 kgs bag and AUD $37 for 20 kgs. All those are at toaday's exchange rate and must be booked online.

I hope that you are able to sort this out to your total satisfaction and can enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the information I will look into those flights.

Personally, I would look at other cruise lines to see if any offer a similar itinerary out of Rome, for the same, or close to the same, dates.
Most cruises are going to be round trip. There is actually an Azamara sailing Civitavecchia October 14 - Barcelona October 21, but that will be maybe 2 or 3 times more expensive than NCL…

I think this sucks, but I also think booking airfare and nonrefundable hotels > 9 months out is also a bit crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's crazy. Is it any crazier than booking the cruise that far out? If NCL offers bookings that far out then it's expected customers who book can buy their airfare that far out too. NCL drastically changed the product they were offering, and they owe it to their customers to make it right. It's not like they switched out one port for another.

We had an NCL cruise out of Miami several years ago and they up and cancelled the whole cruise for a charter. I had never heard of that happening and swore to never book NCL again. However since talking to passengers on other cruises they say it has happened on other lines. I have still yet to see it on anything but NCL. Perhaps they should just become a charter bus service. I have booked the Epic for a March 2018 cruise because I decided to try them again but this is bringing back some bad memories.

We had an NCL cruise out of Miami several years ago and they up and cancelled the whole cruise for a charter. I had never heard of that happening and swore to never book NCL again. However since talking to passengers on other cruises they say it has happened on other lines. I have still yet to see it on anything but NCL. Perhaps they should just become a charter bus service. I have booked the Epic for a March 2018 cruise because I decided to try them again but this is bringing back some bad memories.

Cancelling a cruise for a charter does happen on other cruise lines as well, for example Holland America has done it. The cruise lines usually give at least six months notice when cancelling a cruise or changing an itinerary. Because all cruise lines often make major changes we don't book airfare more than six months out.

I heard from my travel agent and they are offering no more compensation but will refund airfares up to $300 per person. So that is much better.

Still not happy with the complete itinerary change as I was looking forward to all the Spanish ports now it's back to places I have been to a few times at least it will be all new for my fiancé.

My travel insurance will cover the port hotel accommodation so not going to be out of pocket just annoying that NCL can make such big changes

I don't think it's crazy. Is it any crazier than booking the cruise that far out? If NCL offers bookings that far out then it's expected customers who book can buy their airfare that far out too. NCL drastically changed the product they were offering, and they owe it to their customers to make it right. It's not like they switched out one port for another.

However you dont pay in full for the cruise until about 3 months out and the deposits are fully refundable

You pay in full for airfare at booking

I heard from my travel agent and they are offering no more compensation but will refund airfares up to $300 per person. So that is much better.

Still not happy with the complete itinerary change as I was looking forward to all the Spanish ports now it's back to places I have been to a few times at least it will be all new for my fiancé.

My travel insurance will cover the port hotel accommodation so not going to be out of pocket just annoying that NCL can make such big changes

Just wondering....how much did you save by booking the hotel as non refundable ?

I always book refundable rooms

Why? Because I just want to make sure I have a hotel I like and am willing to pay a bit extra for the peace of mind knowing I can cancel....especially if the rooms go on sale

I've already cancelled and rebooked the same hotels for my July land based trip....because I found better deals on them

However you dont pay in full for the cruise until about 3 months out and the deposits are fully refundable

I cannot speak for the OP's country of Australia, but in the UK, not only is the deposit £200 ($244) but if we cancel we lose the deposit.

Edited by Jetlagged787

Just wondering....how much did you save by booking the hotel as non refundable ?

I always book refundable rooms

Why? Because I just want to make sure I have a hotel I like and am willing to pay a bit extra for the peace of mind knowing I can cancel....especially if the rooms go on sale

I've already cancelled and rebooked the same hotels for my July land based trip....because I found better deals on them

These things can vary so much. There is no hard and fast rule as to how much you. Can save, but it can be significant.

I book lots of hotels (usually about 20-25 a year). If there is a non cancel label rate that is about 75% or less that what I expect the non refundable rate to be at its cheapest then I will book it. At that rate then as long as you don't miss any more than 1 in 4 of them you are better off.

In fact, I do occasionally lose a charge due to things changing, but only once or twice every few years. I would estimate that we save between £500 and £1000 a year by booking non cancellable rooms.

Similarly with airfare. I book that early to be able to use miles or to get good rates. I haven't yet had to cancel one, although I have been hit a few times with small change fees. We have saved thousands of pounds this way and, even if I did have to fully cancel one then we would still be well up on the deal.

This change does seem to have been made relatively late.

I don't know the reason for the change, as I can't imagine that NCL did it too willingly. When I spoke to them today I got the impression that they have had lots of cancellations. I'm sure many people (like us) were attracted by the different itinerary and aren't as interested in the same old Epic Western Med itinerary.

I know this is of no consolation to people who this has caused problems to, but I'll tell my tale about this cruise anyway.

We booked it last year due to the different itinerary, and it fitted in well with the school holidays as we had been told them. A bit later we were told that the school holidays had changed, which meant that we wouldn't have any time in Rome pre cruise. We had been considering what to do about it, and had pretty well decided to cancel it. I almost did cancel last week. Because of this we hadn't booked any flights yet.

As we are in the U.K. we would lose the deposit when we cancelled. However, because of this itinerary change, we were able to cancel and get our deposit back. We have effectively changed the booking to our Hawaii trip next year, so it's worked out well for us.

I would just say that I had booked three cruises for 2017 and every one of them has had significant changes to the itinerary. Each one has changed at least one of the embarkation/disembarkation ports. However, this is the only one where the change was within a year of the cruise itself, so the others were not a problem, and have ended up with better itineraries.

It does show that changing itineraries is not unusual. Doing it this close to sailing is rather more unusual.

For suites it's 120 days. Delta and Virgin had some incredible sales in November and December with many able to pick up $430 round trip from West Coast to Europe direct flights. It's completely understandable one would wish to save thousands on airfare and purchase at those prices. At 90 days out I can say with almost certainty the airfares from the US to Europe will be higher. West Coast to Europe typically runs around $1600-$1800 at 90 days out, sometimes much higher, occasionally a little less but never $430.

If a person uses the NCL $300 change fee it's the change fee plus pay for the new ticket price. It would be nice to talk with someone at NCL with a little decision ability who could just pay for an additional ticket from Barcelona to Rome.