Spring Break?

Toad

We are booked on the Rotterdam March 16th, Caribbean cruise. I am not worried about the ship being filled with spring break college kids as I find that impossible to imagine on any HAL cruise. However in looking to book a pre-cruise hotel I am finding the prices in FLL to be quite high. Is this spring break time?

Usually stay at Pier 66, but the price is double what we have paid in the past and there is no availability!

Prices for all the close hotels we like to stay at are outrageous for our cruise the month before. We decided to rent a car and stay at one of the farther out hotels in Plantation. The one time we took a HAL cruise for DH's spring break (back when he taught at a community college), there were very few college age kids (and few families with younger children). Your week is one of the prime spring break weeks for colleges. DH's used to always be around St. Patrick's Day. Occasionally it would end up the week after the holiday.

We had the same problem. Usually cruise first week of march but decided to go out on the 26th. The HAL group at the Westin was sold out and other hotels were about double. Back to early march next year.

Bruce

Avoid any low priced hotels, as the spring breakers will be there. Once made a very poor choice to stay at the ---(not the real name, but sounds like Roachway Motel)

The kids got rowdy, and the noise just never stopped, The cops were called in at six different times, and it was a just a nightmare.

The adjacent room had loud arguments all night long about the girlfriend and the best friend of the agitated screamer.

After being kept up all night, got woken when the manager was banging on their door to tell them checkout time had passed, and they had to rebook at the full rack rate...oops. Hangover with complications....

Not to mention missing their boat/flight, or whatever.

Just spend more during Spring Break period for FLL accommodations :)

Edited by OceanTraveller4ever

March a is prime cruise and convention month plus the infamous spring breakers are around - they extend into Easter time. Would not expect too many 'breakers' on a HAL ship as they tend toward Carnival and RCL due to entertainment capabilities. Have not seen many on HAL cruises in several years. Also longer cruises (>7 days) would also limit any breakers.

Agree about staying in Plantation FL and some hotels have shuttles from the airport and to the port - Hampton used to have these.

I cruised HAL March 15, 2015 out of Fort Lauderdale and while there was not many college kids on board ( and there was a few ) there were a lot of young kids!

The only issue was the fact that they took over the Lido pool and pretty much ruined any adult using it. I don't fault the kids but the adults who were purposely blind to their antics. Not only was it rude to other passengers but it created a potentially unsafe situation.

As far as your room costs..yes! Fort Lauderdale is pricey in March. The trick is to book early.

Try this site, you may have luck, its actually pretty cool, its pre-booked non refundable rooms for sale guaranteed and put in your name

https://www.roomertravel.com/

I like Embassy Suites because of their cocktail hour and breakfast buffet. It turns out to be a good deal because I book far in advance. Also, it's cheap to Uber from the airport there ( and to the port ) . It's super convenient to shops and restaurants.

I probably wouldn't book there today however for my Feb trip.. the rooms are $80.00 more a night since I reserved last October. So any breakfast buffet/ drink value is lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by IndyDenise

Hi Toad, yes, it is spring break time March 16th. Have you looked at the Holiday inn express. We stayed there last year and it was great, free shuttle from the airport. $10 to the cruise port, per person. This year I booked a room with a boutique hotel, we are going to Uber around. I'll see you on board March 16th.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked on the Rotterdam March 16th, Caribbean cruise. I am not worried about the ship being filled with spring break college kids as I find that impossible to imagine on any HAL cruise. However in looking to book a pre-cruise hotel I am finding the prices in FLL to be quite high. Is this spring break time?

Usually stay at Pier 66, but the price is double what we have paid in the past and there is no availability!

Our November cruise started the same weekend as the International Boat Show. We stayed at a Comfort Inn near Sawgrass Mills. We rented a car at the airport once we landed, did some shopping, and enjoyed a nice dinner at Grand Lux Cafe. In the morning we returned the car and took a taxi from the airport to the cruise port. It was much cheaper to stay out there.

I've been cruising out of FLL for years during Spring Break and yes, pricing for hotels is crazy. There are not even any industry discounts!

I regularly pay around $300 per night but you can drop the cost a little if you go towards Plantation or further north.

Basically I book early and then I keep checking for something else, but it is generally a waste of time. I was at Embassy Suites on Sept 30 and cost was $170 (and that was too much IMO!) More than double that now for March.

It really does pay to book early if you are going in March and then watch pricing.

We booked Embassy Suites early and then I watched.

I ended up at $226 (right now) for our stay and my friends are staying close by on 17th street for around $178. But, the bookings were done in advance and then changed if the price dropped.

Embassy Suites location is ideal for us and DH likes it so we will stick with it.

And, I am still keeping an eye on pricing, but I suspect it will not go lower than what we secured a while ago ;). (It's in the $250's right now for our time frame)

No worries about Spring Breakers on our TA ;)

Hi Toad, yes, it is spring break time March 16th. Have you looked at the Holiday inn express. We stayed there last year and it was great, free shuttle from the airport. $10 to the cruise port, per person. This year I booked a room with a boutique hotel, we are going to Uber around. I'll see you on board March 16th.

Thanks Skoogs. We did check out the Holiday Inn Express, it was $210-$220. Since we are driving, I think we will stay further out. Can't wait for TWO WEEKS in warmth!

Since we are both still working it is difficult to plan too far out, so unfortunately we cannot book a room to early. We just booked this cruise about a week ago.

Our November cruise started the same weekend as the International Boat Show. We stayed at a Comfort Inn near Sawgrass Mills. We rented a car at the airport once we landed, did some shopping, and enjoyed a nice dinner at Grand Lux Cafe. In the morning we returned the car and took a taxi from the airport to the cruise port. It was much cheaper to stay out there.

We were looking at this. The price is reasonable. Glad to hear you liked it.