? For Dec. & Jan. LIBERTY cruisers

Numer3

I've been closely following posts for many months about the mattresses being too hard. As suggested, I sent an email requesting a mattress topper. This is the reply I received:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Access Department. All beds in our fleet have double mattress toppers and we no longer provide the egg crate mattress for sanitary reasons.

My question to very recent cruisers...are these "double mattress toppers" the folded comforter that some cruisers mentioned several months ago? Would anyone currently onboard be willing to take a picture of the "topper" and post it? I hate to purchase the $50 air mattress many people talked about if it's now not necessary. I'd also love to hear recent cruisers opinions about the mattress. My mom has shoulder issues and I want to make sure she is comfortable.

Thank you SO much!!

Lara

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on board the Liberty over New Years. When we got on board our bed was set up as two twins. We asked the room steward to put them together. When we got back from dinner, our bed was set up . We got into bed and I noticed right away that it had a topper on it. We did not ask for one. But, I have to say it was the most comfortable bed ever. I do not have a photo of the topper but it was an egg crate topper!

We were on her the week after thanksgiving. The mattress was horrible at first. We asked our room Stewart's for a topper and what we got was a pad. It was much better. We later saw a topper on a bed in a room that was open for cleaning. I have heard that the toppers can be purchased and brought onboard. Since we drive to the port we are contemplating doing this. When I say it was much better with the pad I mean it was far from the most comfortable bed ever but was ok for the remaining 5 nights. As always YMMV.

Sailing Liberty next Sunday, our TA put in a request for us and I followed up with a request for a topper via email, only got an automated email saying they received it, nothing more yet. We did purchase the air mattress' because we travel often and even some hotels have terrible (to us ) beds. So hoping for a comfy bed and the air mattress will stay in the suitcase.

Well this is very encouraging, to hear that recent cruisers have had toppers and that the bed has been ok. I'm still hoping someone currently on Liberty may be able to take a picture of the topper. Thanks SO much for taking the time to respond! Lara

• 2 weeks later...

Just off last week. We requested a topper and received and it was on the bed when we got to our cabin. The bed felt great with the topper, but after sleeping on it for 2 days our backs were killing us. If you like a firm mattress you may be fine. Fortunately I had read reviews about the hard beds and purchased these air mattresses Klymit Static sleeping pads from Amazon. Boy am I glad I did. They are lightweight and blow up with 10-15 breaths. We just put them between the mattress and the topper, it made a world of difference. I do wish they were a little wider, but they only come in one size. Yes, they are a little spendy, but we travel frequently and feel it was a good investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses! I just received my air mattress thru Amazon and was surprised at how narrow it was. I really hope the topper I requested is a foam topper. It's funny how some seem to get them and others get the folded comforter instead.

Sailed 1-22 to 1-29-17 and our bed had a foam topper on it when we arrived. We did not request it. The bed was firm, but fine! We both slept great.

Same sailing and same experience with the beds. We were in a Junior Suite and the beds were separated.

We sailed 1/22-1/29/17 and requested toppers through Special needs. I brought the air mattress recommended on CC but no need. There were toppers on each of our beds and were great. The toppers were not egg crate they were memory foam can't remember if they were 2 or 3 inches deep.

Edited by Kaydee1917
addl comment

I really think it comes down to how firm a mattress you like. We have a sleep number bed at home and like a soft mattress, so the combination of the Amazon air mattress and the mattress topper made the firm mattress work out. And yes, the air mattress is pretty narrow,but it made the difference for us.

I was on in August 2016 and there was a topper and the bed was fine. Then I went again January 22nd. The bed was a rock. I asked for a topper and was told they don't have them for sanitary reasons. He said he'd do his best to make it comfortable. He added another layer. It was better, but still hard as a rock. Night and day experiences 5 months apart.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

0abf2762ac333b6bb957f87e7c2e7f02.jpg

I just returned from our cruise on Sunday. I pulled back the bedding to take a picture of the mattress pad. This was an inside room on deck 6. The balcony room across the hall had the same pad. I had requested these pads a long time ago. I'm cruising on Liberty again next week and requested mattress pads again for my group. This time I was told (by email) that requests not needed as all beds had them. I went (way) down the hall to check with the room steward on my next room just to be sure and he confirmed that all beds now had the pads. Of course things change and so there are no guarantees.

Lara