Would love Tips on DIY in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway

Julietsmom

Since you're outdoorsy and budget travelers like me, I would suggest another hike. (I see you plan Nugget Falls, which is beautiful and easy, but often quite crowded. I recommend it, but you might also like getting further into nature).

Juneau--Perseverance Trail. With a car, you could park near the trailhead instead of walking to it, which would make it quicker. The trail is pretty easy--mostly in a valley. Awesome waterfall, mountains rising above you on all sides, pretty streams. When I went, it was a beautiful sunny day and I still probably only saw a dozen people the whole time.

Ketchikan--Deer Mountain Trail. Another steep one, but so lush and mossy (and often very wet--take good shoes). Great views from the lookouts high on the trail. Rainbird trail is also nice (and pretty easy), though it feels much more city-like.

If you're interested in any of these, I can give more details.

I'm interested in your Juneau and Ketchikan hike recs...... can you tell me more? is first week in May too early for these to see what you're describing?

I love off-the-beaten-path too, but make sure SOMEONE knows where you are going Just In Case. The chance of something unpleasant happening is miniscule, but if it did, officialdom probably wouldn't look in unusual places for cruise ship tourists. (Not a criticism, it just makes sense to look first where most cruisers go.)

I'm interested in your Juneau and Ketchikan hike recs...... can you tell me more? is first week in May too early for these to see what you're describing?

I haven't been in early May, but I bet the Deer Mountain trail in Ketchikan would have a fair amount of snow on the upper parts. Some people don't advise going at all on that trail until June. The first time I went, in early July, there was a bit of snow on the trail probably a little less than a mile before the summit. I ended up turning back, so I'm not sure how conditions were up top. The second time, later in July or early August, there was no snow. Of course, this depends on the year, too. When you get there, you can ask at the tourist office for current conditions (and see if they still have the emergency beacons to lend you). I think Rainbird Trail and other lower-elevation trails in the area (accessible by car, taxi or bus) would have little problem with snow, and I believe they'll all be beautiful in May. Here's the Forest Service's pamphlet on Ketchikan hikes: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413489.pdf

If you do go to Deer Mountain some time, the trailhead is about a mile and a half from town, and the last part's quite steep. Some people take a taxi to the trailhead, but for me it's all part of the hike. Take Ketchikan Lakes Road. Budget plenty of time and let someone know where you've gone.

As for Perseverance Trail in Juneau, I don't think you'd have much problem with snow,though there will be plenty of it on the ridges above you. The trailhead is about 1.5 miles from downtown, past the Russian Orthodox church and along pretty Basin Road. The trail starts near the Last Chance mining museum. Some of the trails around Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau might be pretty nice in May too. Again, I would check on current conditions at the tourist office.

And yes, I agree with mamasylvia: always let someone know where you're going. Take layers, including a waterproof one, wear good shoes/boots, be careful on any snow you encounter, budget more time than you think you'll need, and consider an extra pair of socks you can keep dry in your pack.

From the posts I've read on trip advisor Juneau tours white bus has better service than the blue bus. They pick you up at the dock and take you to the visitor center at mendenhall glacier. $30 round trip. they have many departing and return times so you can be flexible with hiking different trails and the glacier. Anyone have different ideas.

From the posts I've read on trip advisor Juneau tours white bus has better service than the blue bus. They pick you up at the dock and take you to the visitor center at mendenhall glacier. $30 round trip. they have many departing and return times so you can be flexible with hiking different trails and the glacier. Anyone have different ideas.

I don't know that there's enough difference between the white and blue busses to really matter. I believe I've taken both (different trips). Their set-up and prices are pretty similar. If you're there at a slow time, try bargaining them down.

Alternately, the city bus costs $4 round trip (though it drops you about a mile short of the visitor center and takes longer).

Actually they were $30 last year. I don't think we know what this year's price will be yet.

Supposed to be $35 this season.

The Forest Service implemented a $5 fee last year to access several trails, the visitor center and restrooms. I believe the shuttle bus operator collects those fees.

Edited by Glaciers

I am planning for a family trip-group of 12 kids are 18-24

Sitka- boys fish- mom/s girls -ocean rafting

Juneau- Whale watching in AM and Dog sled tour 1:45

Skagway-Boys fish, Mom/daughters White pass train, college girls- lake chilkoot sea kayaking

Ketchikan- only there 12-5-thinking about Misty Fjords floatplane or just walking around and save that money but I've read so many great reviews-girls might zipline

any tips don't do's or suggestions??

We're going to Alaska for the first time on Princess in mid-July 2017. DH and I are 42 and DD will be 8. We decided to DIY on excursions since none of the cruise offerings really appealed to us, they are SO EXPENSIVE, we don't want to do flight seeing (DH is afraid to fly), and couldn't see DD sitting for multiple hours on a boat or train. We love wildlife and being outside and adventure, but would prefer not getting eaten by a bear or orca :).

I have done a lot of research but I would LOVE any tips or critique on our DIY adventure and places to add. I have Milepost and Murray's Skagway guide. We're renting a car in Skagway and Juneau. Here's the plan so far. Ketchikan day is 6:30am to 2pm: 2 hour kayak around Ketchikan with local outfit, go to totem bight, maybe lumberjack show and wander around creek street. Juneau day is 8am to 9pm: Rent car and drive to Mendenhall and do nugget trail, drive to Douglas Island and visit Sandy Beach and Eagle Beach, go to Dipac Salmon Hatchery and maybe Mt. Roberts tram if weather is clear ($30/pp seems a little steep for this - is it really worth it?); Skagway day is 7am to 8:30pm: rent car and drive to emerald lake and carcross, stop at sand dunes at carcross desert. Any other recommendations of things to see and do in these areas?

Your plan sounds wonderful as is to me. We loved the drive out of Skagway. (Do get to the Avis Rental pronto when you arrive. The line can get long.) So scenic. Some report seeing bears along the road. We were not that lucky. If you see one, you will of course stay in the car with the windows rolled up. I've seen reports of people being exceptionally foolish. We had an excellent lunch at a small deli type spot in the town of Carcross. It was called Chilkoot Sourdough Bakery. Excellent sandwiches. It was small (and a bit hard to find), so I hope it is still open for business. I also believe there is the opportunity to see sled dogs somewhere near Carcross. Perhaps your DD would enjoy it?

I'm not familiar with Douglas Island, but it sounds lovely. Personally I could spend hours at Mendenhall. I love it there. You can decide on the day whether you want to do the tram or not in Juneau. There is so much to see and do that I've yet to try the tram.

Despite what others choose, you do not have to do whale watching or flightseeing or the WP&YR Railway to have a great trip.

I can tell you've really done your homework. Keep up the good work and enjoy your trip.:)

One of our kids favorite things to do in Juneau is to visit the Project Playground: https://www.facebook.com/Project-Playground-at-Twin-Lakes-60654337275/ It's got some very unique features and rivals any we've seen in the lower 48. You would need to rent a car or take a taxi- it's not walkable from downtown. While we have the car, we also like to visit Mendenhall and the Alaskan Brewery. This year, we are also planning to add a visit to Walmart to stock up on snacks for when we get to the land part of our tour. I don't want to be stuck on a bus with whiny, hungry kids and no way to satisfy them.

In Skagway, we like to do the National Park tour on the Klondike. It's right downtown and easily walkable. We also like to hike out to Yakutania Point. We like to sit on the point and spot wildlife. You have to walk down, around the airport to get to the trail head, but the trail is well established and maintained. My boys love to watch the helicopters taking off and the planes landing. The airport also has a restroom! Lastly, there is a good ice cream shop on main street that is always a nice treat!

First of all, there is never any tendering at Skagway port.

Next, if you don't get into one of the ship tours, the alternative stop at Tutshi kennels is much more authentic, and not so overrun by all of those friends that you left behind on the ship this morning?

DD

> would prefer not getting eaten by a bear or orca

I have to admit, all the people who post that they want to see bears just leave me bemused. I live in Wyoming and bears here are a dangerous pest. (Of course, our idea of a traffic jam is 2-3 cars having to wait while a herd of antelope cross the road, and even in town I occasionally have to stop while a bunny hops across. There is a herd of deer that like browsing on our property (now that hunting season is over lol). A friend has an eagle nest on his property and occasionally posts pictures. Several neighbors cautioned on our neighborhood group that there was a mountain lion around, keep your dogs inside. And many of my neighbors shared a recent Facebook post from an airport security guard who was chasing an antelope off the airfield when it decided to jump into his pickup window. (I don't know the guard personally, so it *could* have been Photoshopped, but antelope are stupid so it COULD be true.)

I truly hope all the people who want to see bears, do. (From a safe distance) Me, I hope I DON'T. :*

>

I truly hope all the people who want to see bears, do. (From a safe distance) Me, I hope I DON'T. :*

It would be interesting and fun to see bears catching salmon in the wild - from a very safe distance. Captive situations, not so much.

Do the Mount Roberts Tramway in Juneau and take a walk around the trails at the top. The views are amazing and then head to King Tracy's Crab Shack back down at the bottom for lunch.

In Skagway the White Pass Train is good and not too long if you only go as far as the Canadian border. There's also soon beautiful trails up to the lakes and waterfalls walking distance from the port, just behind town. Take some popcorn from one of the emporiums on town as a snack.

I was a crew member doing this route last season, so couldn't afford the pricy tours either. My blog has more photos and info. http://wp.me/p6Ptmi-jF

Do the Mount Roberts Tramway in Juneau and take a walk around the trails at the top. The views are amazing and then head to King Tracy's Crab Shack back down at the bottom for lunch.

In Skagway the White Pass Train is good and not too long if you only go as far as the Canadian border. There's also soon beautiful trails up to the lakes and waterfalls walking distance from the port, just behind town. Take some popcorn from one of the emporiums on town as a snack.

I was a crew member doing this route last season, so couldn't afford the pricy tours either. My blog has more photos and info. http://wp.me/p6Ptmi-jF

Good tips...I love your blog. Sorry you won't be on the Jewel when we are in June. Good Luck on your future endeavors.

Good tips...I love your blog. Sorry you won't be on the Jewel when we are in June. Good Luck on your future endeavors.

Thanks Jeff!

Enjoy your trip in June. It's a lovely ship and I'm sorry that I won't be there either, but keep reading as it all turns out good in the end! :)

Ketchikan--Deer Mountain Trail. Another steep one, but so lush and mossy (and often very wet--take good shoes). Great views from the lookouts high on the trail. Rainbird trail is also nice (and pretty easy), though it feels much more city-like.

If you're interested in any of these, I can give more details.

Deer Creek is now on my radar,and I think weather permitting we might try this hike,I'm thinking the first mile is doable for us (minimum) my question here is do we ned a car rental to get here, or can we walk from ship to trail,hile a mile or so in and back out,and still have time to shop a little and see the town before we have to leave? we are in port from 7-1 so mayb 8-12,4 hours? Or is worth the car rental to save some time,get to the trail,etc. to fit all that in? We walk reasonably fast,we're all fit, but I don't like to feel rushed,and I don;t want the boat to leave without us!

I'd advise taking the free shuttle up to the Totem Heritage Center, walking to the trailhead, hiking as much as you like--probably just to the first lookout--and then spending as much time as you have left downtown. A taxi to the trailhead would save you time if you want to spend the money. I definitely wouldn't bother with renting a car. If it's really rainy and foggy, be warned that you might not have much view, especially from the first lookout. However, the forest is beautiful when the mist's floating in an out.

I'd advise taking the free shuttle up to the Totem Heritage Center, walking to the trailhead, hiking as much as you like--probably just to the first lookout--and then spending as much time as you have left downtown. A taxi to the trailhead would save you time if you want to spend the money. I definitely wouldn't bother with renting a car. If it's really rainy and foggy, be warned that you might not have much view, especially from the first lookout. However, the forest is beautiful when the mist's floating in an out.

Ok..

thanks for the tips- I am now thinking this may be what we do, free shuttle/hike up to first lookout. That should leave us some time to wander the town a bit also- I was going to rent a car, but now think I won't,since the only reason I was renting was to get to Lunch creek, does this sound about right?