Would love Tips on DIY in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway

Julietsmom

I have never rented a car in Juneau. How many people do you have? If only 2 of you, you may not need it.

Before or after whale watching, you can hike at Mendenhall Glacier. They are on the same part of town.

That was my thought on renting a car....how to get to Mendenhall before or after.

That was my thought on renting a car....how to get to Mendenhall before or after.

It used to be that whale watching companies could take you to Mendenhall glacier after your tour. Apparently they can no longer do this. I would probably call a taxi or arrange with Harv and Marv on when you will get back to the pier and what time you can have a taxi ready. I have no doubt they have a recommendation and may assist in this. Auke Bay and Mendenhall are pretty close to each other. The last thing you want to do is go back to Juneau in between.

This is who you can take back from Mendenhall glacier: http://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/land-tours There is another company that runs the route also. You can buy a one way back and just go with whatever company comes first.

If there are 4 of you, maybe renting a car makes sense. I have just never needed one. Whale watching companies will pick you up downtown. Or, you can head out to Mendenhall first on a blue buss and then take a taxi to Auke Bay. Then have Harv and Marv bring you back to downtown Juneau.

Edited by Coral

Do you have to buy Juneau-Mendenhall shuttle tickets in advance or can you pay when you climb aboard? And how much (roughly) is a one-way? (Just want to make sure we have cash in hand to pay with.) We are planning a DIY glacier visit but aren't good about being pinned down to times unless necessary, so waiting for whichever company shows up first sounds good to me.

Edited by mamasylvia

We were hoping to rent cars in Juneau and Skagway, our time is limited especially in Juneau. We want to do the glacier, Nugget Falls, brewery. All car rental I have seen are at the airport. How far is the airport, how do you get there? Are there any closer rentals? Worried this will eat up more time.

We were hoping to rent cars in Juneau and Skagway, our time is limited especially in Juneau. We want to do the glacier, Nugget Falls, brewery. All car rental I have seen are at the airport. How far is the airport, how do you get there? Are there any closer rentals? Worried this will eat up more time.

Look down the page a little ways to a post from mom02 ..... you'll find info about Juneau Car Rental's location.

Also, AVIS is looking for another downtown site since they have lost their Goldbelt hotel location. Stay in touch with them to hear of any developments.

When planning excursions we like to check and see what ships and how many potential passengers will be in port at the same time (port load). Here are two sites that will give you a prediction, though the numbers may change:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/alaska-cruise-ship-calendar.html

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1250

This can be very important in a small port like Skagway (population about 1000) when 4 ships, each about 3000 passengers are all in port at the same time. Sometimes it pays to book very early.

Edited by QShip

M&M Tours no longer offers one-way fares unless connecting with another of their tours. Just had a response to my online question to them. Also, their blue bus is not wheelchair-accessible. Anyone know offhand what company runs the white bus so I can check with them? If not, I'm sure I can google it.

M&M Tours no longer offers one-way fares unless connecting with another of their tours. Just had a response to my online question to them. Also, their blue bus is not wheelchair-accessible. Anyone know offhand what company runs the white bus so I can check with them? If not, I'm sure I can google it.

I posted links to both shuttle companies in a recent thread from mom02 called something like 'Whale watching and Mendenhall'.

When you have answers from both companies re: their one-way policy, please create a post with the information. It will be a helpful thread to others as they plan.

The Mendenhall web site also has links for transportation options. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

Edited by mapleleaves

Sorry about this - a lot changed when Mendenhall started charging fees. I am surprised they are not doing one ways. I am not surprised that they are not accessible - these are old busses.

I wonder if a call to the cab company would help to see if they have accessible cabs.

Juneau - Go to Mt Roberts tram (might even be able to walk from the ship) if the weather is clear. Take public transportation to Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway - White Pass RR

Ketchikan - Creek Street, lunch on ship or at fish and chips shack, public transportation to Totem Bight

Juneau - Go to Mt Roberts tram (might even be able to walk from the ship) if the weather is clear. Take public transportation to Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway - White Pass RR

Ketchikan - Creek Street, lunch on ship or at fish and chips shack, public transportation to Totem Bight

I'm interested in the walk from the dock to the tram area, how far is it? (according to the schedule it's supposed to be at Alaska steam dock- and it's easy to grab a public bus from here to Mendenhall? From another thread, they said it drops off about a mile away from the visitor center, is that an easy walk?Like, room to walk,or will we be climbing off the road to avoid traffic or whatever?

Someone above mentioned taking public transportation to Mendenhall. While that IS possible, (and cheap...$2pp) it should be noted that the public bus drops off and picks up 1 mile from Mendenhall (some websites actually says it's 1.5 mi....just by way of information) Though that is 'doable', (if the weather is pleasant...) people should know from the onset what they're getting.

From my research, the Blue bus is $30pp round trip. There's just two of us, but we're renting a car from Juneau Rental Cars....paying $59 for the day. Not only am I saving a DOLLAR :D:D (if I don't count my fuel costs...hmmm...) but we have the car for the entire day (13 hrs) to do whatever we want - which may actually even include a quick trip to Walmart.

I've talked to the ladies there at Juneau Rental Cars A LOT through email and on the phone over the last couple of weeks and am comfortable renting from them. Of course, the TRUE evaluation will come after our cruise and rental, but that's where I'm at right now. Yes, they rent older cars, but she said they run their own automobile service. If you have a problem, you call them and they come get you. At the very worst, (and I'm not expecting the worst...haha) we might not have a car for the rest of the day...but we won't be stranded or miss the ship. I can live with that. :)

Just know where the drop off point is if you choose public transportation for your trip to Mendenhall....

Edited by rgmacm

I'm interested in the walk from the dock to the tram area, how far is it? (according to the schedule it's supposed to be at Alaska steam dock- and it's easy to grab a public bus from here to Mendenhall? From another thread, they said it drops off about a mile away from the visitor center, is that an easy walk?Like, room to walk,or will we be climbing off the road to avoid traffic or whatever?

There are several docking positions in Juneau and some can be a 20+ minute walk or so to the tram area. It is an easy walk for those who are mobile. You are walking on either a side walk or walk way. I think there is a bus that will take you from the farthest dock (AJ dock) to the tram area for a small fee. It is a pretty walk if the weather is cooperating.

Someone above mentioned taking public transportation to Mendenhall. While that IS possible, (and cheap...$2pp) it should be noted that the public bus drops off and picks up 1 mile from Mendenhall (some websites actually says it's 1.5 mi....just by way of information) Though that is 'doable', (if the weather is pleasant...) people should know from the onset what they're getting.

From my research, the Blue bus is $30pp round trip. There's just two of us, but we're renting a car from Juneau Rental Cars....paying $59 for the day. Not only am I saving a DOLLAR :D:D (if I don't count my fuel costs...hmmm...) but we have the car for the entire day (13 hrs) to do whatever we want - which may actually even include a quick trip to Walmart.

I've talked to the ladies there at Juneau Rental Cars A LOT through email and on the phone over the last couple of weeks and am comfortable renting from them. Of course, the TRUE evaluation will come after our cruise and rental, but that's where I'm at right now. Yes, they rent older cars, but she said they run their own automobile service. If you have a problem, you call them and they come get you. At the very worst, (and I'm not expecting the worst...haha) we might not have a car for the rest of the day...but we won't be stranded or miss the ship. I can live with that. :)

Just know where the drop off point is if you choose public transportation for your trip to Mendenhall....

I love renting from Juneau Car Rental - been doing it for years, even rented from them with the previous owner who called the company Rent-A-Wreck. They are always nice, helpful, and willing to do whatever they can to make your stay a good one. I've never had a problem with any of their cars. One time the owner was there when I was dropping off the car, and he gave me a ride back to the ship - we were not docked in one of the docks near their lot. The entire company is full of nice and helpful people...

I called tonight to make a reservation since neither of the shuttles are accessible. Turns out the lady taking the reservation is moving to my town next month! So we had a nice chat about that as well, and we will have the convenience of a car at our disposal for only a little more than we would have paid just for the shuttle. (My scooter folds up so it will fit easily into almost any trunk.)

Thanks for the endorsement of the Juneau Rental Car office near the cruise terminal. I had been looking at the various options for DIY and had decided on a car rental. However I was not sure about going to the airport to obtain a rental (time/cost).Most of the research for car rental on CC and TA were old posts. I just called and made arrangements for our day in port.

Thank You for all the helpful advice here.

For those looking for wheelchair accessible transportation to Mendenhall Glacier, currently the only option is a taxi. There are only three wheelchair accessible taxis in Juneau and it is important to make a reservation if you want to ensure that the taxi will be available.

In planning for our trip to Juneau last summer, I had spoken to two of the taxi companies and was told it was not necessary to make a reservation, just to ask one of the taxis at the port to call a wheelchair accessible shuttle.

However, when we got there, I learned that all three of the taxi drivers had decided to take the day off! :( Fortunately our family member can transfer and we took a minivan taxi so the wheelchair could fold up and fit in the back. The total price was about the same as the shuttle would have cost the two of us.

I have just reserved a car from the Juneau airport but now looking at timing, I'm not sure there is really any reason. We will be in port from 8 am to 6 pm. I have Harv & Marv reserved for noon. (We could move to 8:30, I think) Is there any place we could drive from 8:30 to noon or a place to even leave the car from noon to 3 ?

I agree with GradUt about not renting a car for this amount of time. Walk along the boardwalk towards town. The kids will like seeing all the sea creatures stuck too the planks and laying along it. And when you get down farther there are statues of the mine workers and Patsy Ann. She is the legendary dog of the town from the old days. Juneau has many things to see on foot. Also take a peek inside the Red Dog Saloon. You will get a kick out of it. Enjoy.

We're going to Alaska for the first time on Princess in mid-July 2017. DH and I are 42 and DD will be 8. We decided to DIY on excursions since none of the cruise offerings really appealed to us, they are SO EXPENSIVE, we don't want to do flight seeing (DH is afraid to fly), and couldn't see DD sitting for multiple hours on a boat or train. We love wildlife and being outside and adventure, but would prefer not getting eaten by a bear or orca :).

I have done a lot of research but I would LOVE any tips or critique on our DIY adventure and places to add. I have Milepost and Murray's Skagway guide. We're renting a car in Skagway and Juneau. Here's the plan so far. Ketchikan day is 6:30am to 2pm: 2 hour kayak around Ketchikan with local outfit, go to totem bight, maybe lumberjack show and wander around creek street. Juneau day is 8am to 9pm: Rent car and drive to Mendenhall and do nugget trail, drive to Douglas Island and visit Sandy Beach and Eagle Beach, go to Dipac Salmon Hatchery and maybe Mt. Roberts tram if weather is clear ($30/pp seems a little steep for this - is it really worth it?); Skagway day is 7am to 8:30pm: rent car and drive to emerald lake and carcross, stop at sand dunes at carcross desert. Any other recommendations of things to see and do in these areas?

For our Ketchikan day, we booked a non-cruise tour with Ketchikan Taxi Cab tour company. It's basically your own private tour. Feel free to check them out- the owners are wonderful people and incredibly responsive! :)http://www.ketchikantaxicabtours.com/tours.php

We're going to Alaska for the first time on Princess in mid-July 2017. DH and I are 42 and DD will be 8. We decided to DIY on excursions since none of the cruise offerings really appealed to us, they are SO EXPENSIVE, we don't want to do flight seeing (DH is afraid to fly), and couldn't see DD sitting for multiple hours on a boat or train. We love wildlife and being outside and adventure, but would prefer not getting eaten by a bear or orca :).

I have done a lot of research but I would LOVE any tips or critique on our DIY adventure and places to add. I have Milepost and Murray's Skagway guide. We're renting a car in Skagway and Juneau. Here's the plan so far. Ketchikan day is 6:30am to 2pm: 2 hour kayak around Ketchikan with local outfit, go to totem bight, maybe lumberjack show and wander around creek street. Juneau day is 8am to 9pm: Rent car and drive to Mendenhall and do nugget trail, drive to Douglas Island and visit Sandy Beach and Eagle Beach, go to Dipac Salmon Hatchery and maybe Mt. Roberts tram if weather is clear ($30/pp seems a little steep for this - is it really worth it?); Skagway day is 7am to 8:30pm: rent car and drive to emerald lake and carcross, stop at sand dunes at carcross desert. Any other recommendations of things to see and do in these areas?

I think we'll be doing the same thing for our cruise...I asked DH about a flightseeing excursion and he wasn't into it at all.... I will be piecing together some port time for us all I guess.... it looks like there is a lot to do in every port,and since our main goal is relaxing family time, I think this will work!

When planning excursions, particularly non-cruiseline excursions, I suggest you check to see how many ships will be in port at the same time. It can have a direct influence on whether or not you are able to book early or late.

On our cruise this fall there will be 4 cruise ships in port at Skagway at the same time, with 10,000 - 12,000 passengers.

You can check here: http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1250

Since you're outdoorsy and budget travelers like me, I would suggest another hike. (I see you plan Nugget Falls, which is beautiful and easy, but often quite crowded. I recommend it, but you might also like getting further into nature). I often just get off the ship and go hiking. The crowds fade away. Alaska's nature embraces me. It's amazing. If you rent a car, your options are wide open, but here are a few of my favorites, all of which I've done on foot from the ship. With an 8-year old, some of these might not be great fits, but here they are. If you want more info, ask.

Skagway--Upper Dewey Lake. One of the most spectacular hikes I've ever been on. STEEP. Difficult. But so rewarding. You could also just go to Lower Dewey Lake and hike around it, play in the edge of the water, etc.

Juneau--Perseverance Trail. With a car, you could park near the trailhead instead of walking to it, which would make it quicker. The trail is pretty easy--mostly in a valley. Awesome waterfall, mountains rising above you on all sides, pretty streams. When I went, it was a beautiful sunny day and I still probably only saw a dozen people the whole time.

Ketchikan--Deer Mountain Trail. Another steep one, but so lush and mossy (and often very wet--take good shoes). Great views from the lookouts high on the trail. Rainbird trail is also nice (and pretty easy), though it feels much more city-like.

If you're interested in any of these, I can give more details.

When planning excursions, particularly non-cruiseline excursions, I suggest you check to see how many ships will be in port at the same time. It can have a direct influence on whether or not you are able to book early or late.

On our cruise this fall there will be 4 cruise ships in port at Skagway at the same time, with 10,000 - 12,000 passengers.

You can check here: http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1250

Also whether your ship tenders determines how soon you might get too the dock. It can factor into what time too book a tour and make their pick-up time and get back too the ship in time.