1st Cruise with Oceania to Alaska

paphoslady

Good Morning

Just wanted to ask advice from past/present and future cruisers with Oceania. We are a couple in our early 50's and have cruised with Princess to Alaska, Cunard in Europe and Asia and RCL in the past. Very interested in a cruise from Seattle to Vancouver with Oceania which has 2 new ports that we haven't visited (Sitka and Wrangell) in Alaska. What can we expect from a cruise with Oceania, what will the age demographics of the passengers be, really like the look of the itinerary.

The ship & the cabins will be a lot smaller that Princess

The age demographics can be fro 5 to 85

I would read some the reviews for Regatta in Alaska it may give you more insight into what you are seeking

Good Morning

Just wanted to ask advice from past/present and future cruisers with Oceania. We are a couple in our early 50's and have cruised with Princess to Alaska, Cunard in Europe and Asia and RCL in the past. Very interested in a cruise from Seattle to Vancouver with Oceania which has 2 new ports that we haven't visited (Sitka and Wrangell) in Alaska. What can we expect from a cruise with Oceania, what will the age demographics of the passengers be, really like the look of the itinerary.

For Alaska, there will be kids. In general, O has a mostly adult demographic with (IMO and experience) average age from 45-75. Most folks we've met onboard have been well traveled and accomplished in whatever trade or profession they've pursued for their life's work.

If I had to pick a single shining item about O, I think most folks would agree that it is the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Outstanding food
  • Outstanding beds/linens
  • Outstanding coffee
  • Excellent spa
  • Other than alcoholic beverages everything is included
  • Nice library
  • Quiet, refined, immaculate atmosphere
  • Small cabins
  • Less crowds due to the much smaller size of the ships

Edited by Classiccruiser777

Sitka and Wrangell are nice ports that most don’t get to go to. We were on the Regatta last summer and stopped there, as well as Hubbard Glacier which was spectacular. The ship is quiet in comparison to Princess/RCL and a bit more in line with Cunard although much less formal and we found the other passengers to be more similar to those on Cunard than any other line. As mentioned, the food was the highlight.

The ship isn’t designed for Alaska. The only unobstructed forward view is from the spa area that is reserved for concierge passengers and even then can only accommodate about 8 people at one time. Other than that you’re looking through glass or hanging over the rail to see forward.

Although we were to be docked without having to tender, in two ports we had to tender for the first couple hours as the tide was not at the correct height for the ramp to be extended. It delayed some tours and appeared to be unexpected.

We’ll cruise with Oceania again but not in Alaska.

In Sitka, check out Gallant Adventures. Of 9 Alaska trips it’s been one of our favorite excursions. We went out to St. Lazaria Island.

The ship isn’t designed for Alaska. The only unobstructed forward view is from the spa area that is reserved for concierge passengers and even then can only accommodate about 8 people at one time.

what area are you talking about ?

The spa deck is for Concierge & above passengers but there is nothing to stop you from buying a day pass for the area

It does hold more than 8 people

this is one side of the deck area there is more room on the other side of the whirlpool tub

i-BF25GVc-M.jpg

yes unfortunately there is glass around the area

what area are you talking about ?

Unobstructed forward view. Only available for about 8 people at a time. We took turns. For a photographer, this is kind of awkward. May not bother most though if they don't mind looking through blue glass.

822329783_OceaniaRegatta.jpg.226be6cd24332e46c93aaedd97e33a60.jpg

Edited by Glaciers

Unobstructed forward view. Only available for about 8 people at a time. We took turns. For a photographer, this is kind of awkward. May not bother most though if they don't mind looking through blue glass.

AHH you are talking about the hot tub area for 8 people

We usually just lean over the railing above the pool deck ;)

We have not yet been on our first cruise (Oceania Alaska cruise set for the summer of 2018); but, always figured the railed oval area above the pool deck would do for us (so much, that we booked an inside stateroom).

I can see how if photography is one's main passion/main goal, having an unobstructed forward view would be a major concern and have high priority. Thus, I could see how the forward view through blue glass (except in the area identified above) could be an issue. However, for others, it may not be a major factor and would not be something to lead them to choose another line to Alaska.

For us, when looking at videos and shots of all the folks out on decks of the mass market lines cruising to Alaska, and the number of people trying to get a decent view on the decks, the issue of having limited forward views becomes a non-issue if we have great views from the side of the ship, minus hundreds of people out on the decks. For us, large crowds are rather stressful and a decreased number of passengers out on the decks, even if more limited spaces to view, trumps an amazing, unobstructed forward view.

For those who have a passion for photography where the forward view is the main concern/the main priority- I could see where it might lead them to other lines for the Alaska itinerary. (In fact, from the reviews I have seen, the small lines such as Alaskan Dream Cruises and UnCruise offer an abundance of up front and personal photography opportunities- similar to being on an excursion for the entire cruise.)

Just adding to the convo for I know when making our selection re: our first cruise, when doing initial research, comments such as one would never choose a particular line for a particular area caused us to pause; thus, wanted to point out the advantages re: view on a smaller ship like the Regatta for those who may have photography at a lower priority. (Although, I expect one can get some great shots from that area above the poll deck as well.) Thanks for tolerating comments from someone who has yet to sail Oceania! :-)

Bottom line- I am grateful there are so many lines from which to choose. We hope this is our first cruise of many. Hoping we love Oceania as much as many on these boards do! And, hoping it will be the first of many cruises with Oceania. But, we are also open to doing many cruises, even trying different lines, and comparing Oceania with different lines. Sounds like a perfect assignment to me! :-) Wish they offered a program of studies in comparing cruise lines, ships, etc. I'd sign up for sure!

We had a great time on our Alaska cruise. The blue glass is a bit annoying for a forward view but there are so many side views on an Alaska cruise that are awesome that we would never see it as a big deal.

We really like the lack of crowds and calmer atmosphere on a small ship. Wrangell is a smaller port with less to do if you need excitement. We liked walking down to the petroglyph beach, buying garnets from the local kids and just enjoying the experience of visiting a smaller community.

Sitka has much more to offer. We liked the Raptor Center, the totem poles and naturalist walk at the National Historic Park, and a visit to the Russian Orthodox Cathedral. If you like to walk, it is a very easy independent tour.

A highlight was Hubbard Glacier. No other ships around (we had seen a large one turn back in the early morning fog). When we got there, it was drizzly off and on but the fog had lifted and we watched multiple calvings of the glacier. The captain got us really close and turned the ship 360 degrees so everyone got every possible view.

June 26 cruise, 19 kids onboard, out of 675, most involved in the kids program.

Mary

despite the lack forward views we did manage to get some decent shots on our Norway cruise

We are not professionals so the photos worked for our needs

i-dqf3NVz-M.jpg

i-MHf3BLn-M.jpg

If having a forward view is important choose a ship with front access to the open decks

i-m2SFqNG-M.jpg

...We really like the lack of crowds and calmer atmosphere on a small ship....Mary

Two of the main reasons we have selected Oceania for our first cruise- lack of crowds and calmer atmosphere. Oh, and the quality of the food and the upkeep/state of their ships that folks have commented on here on CC.

Food quality is a priority for DH. The calm and the chance to have great scenery and catch up on reading priorities for me. Maybe an excursion to see some whales, too. :-)

We realize that the calm environment may not be everyone's preference, but we sure are looking forward to it. Summer of 2018 just seems too far away!