which of these excursions in Juneau?

lucy2mb

The OP is going in May and having gone to Glacier Gardens in May, it is pretty bare.

The kids are adult kids. Though, they may still enjoy that.

I had read that about Glacier Gardens in May. We will skip that. I did rent a car tonight for the 6 of us. That will definitely save us some money.

Thank you for all your suggestions! :)

Edited by lucy2mb

Our cruise is a Tracy Arm cruise. I hope we aren't too early in May for that. I think this past summer it was delayed because of ice.

Thanks for the info on Ketchikan. That is my next port to research.

If they offer the small boat experience to Tracy Arm, definitely sign up. It is not cheap but it will be one of your best tours.

If you are coming back from Mendenhall on the Blue Bus to the ship give your self plenty of time. They run every 1/2 hr and fill up fast. It takes at least that long too get back too the dock and some times you cant get on the first one you see. Also it is nice to see Juneau for a short time if you can. I can honestly say, if you are going to see Glacier Bay, Mendenhall is going to be a let-down. But maybe that is because I have compared the 2 so many times. Have fun.

I have been to Mendenhall a ton of times. I go every time I whale watch just because I am in the area. Considering the other glaciers I have seen, it is ok. It was a huge let down on my first cruise as we missed Hubbard and then the only glacier I saw was Mendenhall. The best part of Mendenhall is the hike.

Our cruise is a Tracy Arm cruise. I hope we aren't too early in May for that. I think this past summer it was delayed because of ice.

Thanks for the info on Ketchikan. That is my next port to research.

You will still make it up Tracy Arm, but if there is too much ice you might not see Sawyer Glacier. But the waterfalls and ice on the water will be beautiful. Keep an eye out for the seals and other animals. It will be a wonderful cruise. In Ketchikan I flew over the Fjords with Michelle of Island Wings. I loved it. There is also the lobster tour, the lumber jack show and Saxmon village. Creek Street is interesting. I found Ketchikan the hardest port for a tour that wasn't very expensive or was appealing to me. Keep us posting on your plans.

You will still make it up Tracy Arm, but if there is too much ice you might not see Sawyer Glacier. But the waterfalls and ice on the water will be beautiful.

Ships can be diverted to Endicott Arm (Dawes glacier) if Tracy Arm is not accessible. Unfortunately, I know this from a couple of experiences.

I have been to Mendenhall a ton of times. I go every time I whale watch just because I am in the area. Considering the other glaciers I have seen, it is ok. It was a huge let down on my first cruise as we missed Hubbard and then the only glacier I saw was Mendenhall. The best part of Mendenhall is the hike.

I would love to have seen Hubbard. I have never been that far North on my cruises. You are very lucky. I did not have time to take a hike when I went to my Mendenhall trips. It must be very nice though. Did you see any wildlife or Salmon when you did? I have read that bears are seen there sometimes.

I'm planning my first trip to Alaska this June. I have booked a tour that you might be interested in – I can't absolutely recommend it, since I have not taken it yet! But it combines a hike with a focus on photography at the Mendenhall glacier. Here's the link if you want to check it out:

https://www.adventureflow.us/adventure/glacier-forest-falls-smartphone-hiking-tour/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ships can be diverted to Endicott Arm (Dawes glacier) if Tracy Arm is not accessible. Unfortunately, I know this from a couple of experiences.

I think we will end going to Endicott Arm with it being May 12. If money was not an issue, I would definitely do something besides renting a car. The whale watching did sound good to me. Have you ever rented a car there? I read on some post that someone drove up the coast line and saw whales. Of course, they could have been from a great distance. Just hoping for some good scenery. Two of our young adults do enjoy hiking, so I know they will want to go to Nugget Falls.

I think we will end going to Endicott Arm with it being May 12. If money was not an issue, I would definitely do something besides renting a car. The whale watching did sound good to me. Have you ever rented a car there? I read on some post that someone drove up the coast line and saw whales. Of course, they could have been from a great distance. Just hoping for some good scenery. Two of our young adults do enjoy hiking, so I know they will want to go to Nugget Falls.

No - I have never rented a car. I have never felt a need to do so. I would prefer to do whale watching where it is guaranteed than see them from a distance on a car ride.

I know Alaska is expensive. But, how often will you get there? We are not talking about a helicopter excursion that is $500 per person. I know costs are real but you can potentially put off your next vacation by a few months to make up for the costs, or cut back now a few things. I am not wealthy by any means, often travel single so I pay 200% and will often get a cheap room, but I won't cut back on excursions I really want to do.

If I am in Juneau, I often depend on transportation there. I will do whale watching and Mendenhall through a private company so I don't need to rent a car, I will do an all day excursion to Tracy Arm or have even taken the blue bus tour of Juneau.

Some friends recently paid for their 2 kids and spouses and grandkids to go to Disneyworld (we live in the Midwest). They were there for a week and only spent 1 day at Disney. If you are spending all the money to get there, don't skimp on activities. They went orange picking one day and spent a day at the pool - I am guessing the kids would have preferred to see Epcot or another park. Looking back, they regret what they did because most of the cost was in air and hotel. We are not talking about really expensive activities but moderately prices (though more than the Caribbean).

About Endicott Arm or Tracy Arm - look seriously at the small boat ride. It will get you right up to the glaciers. This maybe your best tour on the trip and best for scenic pics. There are times when Tracy Arm is accessible in May but not June - you never know.

Edited by Coral

No - I have never rented a car. I have never felt a need to do so. I would prefer to do whale watching where it is guaranteed than see them from a distance on a car ride.

I know Alaska is expensive. But, how often will you get there? We are not talking about a helicopter excursion that is $500 per person. I know costs are real but you can potentially put off your next vacation by a few months to make up for the costs, or cut back now a few things. I am not wealthy by any means, often travel single so I pay 200% and will often get a cheap room, but I won't cut back on excursions I really want to do.

If I am in Juneau, I often depend on transportation there. I will do whale watching and Mendenhall through a private company so I don't need to rent a car, I will do an all day excursion to Tracy Arm or have even taken the blue bus tour of Juneau.

Some friends recently paid for their 2 kids and spouses and grandkids to go to Disneyworld (we live in the Midwest). They were there for a week and only spent 1 day at Disney. If you are spending all the money to get there, don't skimp on activities. They went orange picking one day and spent a day at the pool - I am guessing the kids would have preferred to see Epcot or another park. Looking back, they regret what they did because most of the cost was in air and hotel. We are not talking about really expensive activities but moderately prices (though more than the Caribbean).

About Endicott Arm or Tracy Arm - look seriously at the small boat ride. It will get you right up to the glaciers. This maybe your best tour on the trip and best for scenic pics. There are times when Tracy Arm is accessible in May but not June - you never know.

Yes, you do need at least 3 days at Disney!

My husband and I just retired recently, so this is like a retirement celebration. Our income is less now, so we will have to see how finances are before the cruise. Do you need to book the Tracy Arm excursion and the whale watching before the cruise, or can you wait till on the ship?

Mendenhall Glacier was fantastic along with the waterfall. Take the blue bus there and spend time. Salmon running there, bears, bald eagles, glacier, waterfall, icebergs, and beautiful paths to walk around on.413861e102717e08f501eec2b874bfd2.jpgf7170942e024727f7578bcfa8360dba4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the pictures! We won't be riding the blue bus. We rented a car.

Yes, you do need at least 3 days at Disney!

My husband and I just retired recently, so this is like a retirement celebration. Our income is less now, so we will have to see how finances are before the cruise. Do you need to book the Tracy Arm excursion and the whale watching before the cruise, or can you wait till on the ship?

On many cruises, the Tracy Arm excursion sells out well in advance. This is definitely capacity controlled. I would book this soon. It just depends on how many people on your cruise know how cool this excursion is. I suggest you do some searches and find some reviews of this. Many people find this their favorite excursion. It definitely is mine. I have done the small boat ride to Endicott Arm (as we were iced out from Tracy Arm) and it was amazing also. Of all of your excursions you have planned, this would be my #1 choice.

Whale watching tours can most likely be booked on the ship and definitely at the pier.

I do understand Alaska is expensive.

Edited by Coral

I have a question would you be stopping in Victoria? If you are the whale watching is much better there, if not then add on the glacier. Do not bother with the gold mine/panning, I did it and it was a waste of time and money. If you stop at Victoria do whale watching there with BC Whale Watching.

I looked up your cruise and you do stop at Victoria. Think about that option.

Candie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question would you be stopping in Victoria? If you are the whale watching is much better there, if not then add on the glacier. Do not bother with the gold mine/panning, I did it and it was a waste of time and money. If you stop at Victoria do whale watching there with BC Whale Watching.

Certainly a better chance of seeing orcas from Victoria although there is a 100% chance of seeing humpbacks in Juneau. Reports are that there is about an 80% chance of seeing orcas out of Victoria.

On many cruises, the Tracy Arm excursion sells out well in advance. This is definitely capacity controlled. I would book this soon. It just depends on how many people on your cruise know how cool this excursion is. I suggest you do some searches and find some reviews of this. Many people find this their favorite excursion. It definitely is mine. I have done the small boat ride to Endicott Arm (as we were iced out from Tracy Arm) and it was amazing also. Of all of your excursions you have planned, this would be my #1 choice.

Whale watching tours can most likely be booked on the ship and definitely at the pier.

I do understand Alaska is expensive.

Is the excursion for Tracy Arm or Endicott one of the sea days when you are going through the area or do you do it from Juneau.

I looked up your cruise and you do stop at Victoria. Think about that option.

Candie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even know they had whale watching in Victoria. We are there from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm and have not seen anything I was really interested in.

I will check it out.

Thoughts...

• Juneau whale watches features the large and majestic humpbacks
  • Victoria and Vancouver whale watches will feature the smaller and fast Orca's

Juneau has Orcas also. I think they are seen maybe 30% or more. I have been lucky and seen Orcas most of the time in Juneau. Humbacks are guaranteed at 100% in Juneau.

Juneau has Orcas also. I think they are seen maybe 30% or more. I have been lucky and seen Orcas most of the time in Juneau. Humbacks are guaranteed at 100% in Juneau.

I was hoping there would be Humbacks in Victoria. The price of the excursion is better for us in Victoria. Still going to look at Tracy Arm for at least some of us. I may give my gift certificate to my family and let them go on this. I am fine with that. From what you have said, I think this would be better than whale watching.

I was hoping there would be Humbacks in Victoria. The price of the excursion is better for us in Victoria. Still going to look at Tracy Arm for at least some of us. I may give my gift certificate to my family and let them go on this. I am fine with that. From what you have said, I think this would be better than whale watching.

I haven't gone in Victoria. I went in up state WA (near Victoria actually) and we only saw orcas. Actually - we went on a scenic boat ride that turned into a whale watching trip.

I do prefer the small boat ride to Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm over whale watching. Partially because I have seen whales on it but I have done this from Juneau.

I haven't gone in Victoria. I went in up state WA (near Victoria actually) and we only saw orcas. Actually - we went on a scenic boat ride that turned into a whale watching trip.

I do prefer the small boat ride to Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm over whale watching. Partially because I have seen whales on it but I have done this from Juneau.

I am checking on availability of the Tracy Arm excursion right now with Carnival. I know it is offered at 3 ports which is kind of confusing but I will try to book at Ketchikan since we have excursion at Skagway and rental car for Juneau.

From what you said, this would be the best to book. Hope it is still available.

Thanks for your help!

I am checking on availability of the Tracy Arm excursion right now with Carnival. I know it is offered at 3 ports which is kind of confusing but I will try to book at Ketchikan since we have excursion at Skagway and rental car for Juneau.

From what you said, this would be the best to book. Hope it is still available.

Thanks for your help!

You will not regret it. Especially since it is your only glacier from the ship viewing experience. I will find some reviews tonight when I am home.

Edited by Coral

The OP is going in May and having gone to Glacier Gardens in May, it is pretty bare.

Sort of wondered about that but judging from how much earlier the Rhodies have been blooming in Seattle each year (used to be May/June now often late March/April) was figuring things might be getting earlier up there too. Then again Juneau is 800 miles north of us. We still definitely going to GG in mid-June.