Our Fabulous Alaska Cruise Picture Review!! NCL Pearl - June 2016

VegasChic

Friday, June 3, 2016

Ketchikan, Alaska

Arrival: 6:00 AM

All Aboard: 1:00 PM

Weather: 50 degrees, cloudy, rainy, windy, cold!!!

When I looked outside, I was bummed! It was probably our worst weather day. We got off the ship and the wind was whipping us in the face with rain. I was not sure what to expect of our tour at that point but it turns out that it was the best place to be. We were only in port a short while which is unfortunate because I would have loved to have more time to explore this port. We got off the ship at around 8 am and our tour was scheduled for 9 am. I thought we could walk around a bit before the tour but it was just plain miserable outside.

DSC04910-X2.jpg

DSC04913-XL.jpg

Once off the ship, there was an area where tours met and that is where I saw David the owner of the Aleutian Ballad holding a sign. I went up to him and told him I was on his tour and that I was concerned about the weather. He reassured me and told me not to worry. He pointed toward the boat which was right around the corner and a few steps from where the pearl was docked.

DSC04921-XL.jpg

Since we had some time to spare, we wandered into the nearest gift shop. I was not in the shopping mood it was too early and I was uncomfortable with all the clothing layers I had on.

Olivia being silly with the fake bears outside of the gift shop….

Blog1-L.jpg

I had pre-booked the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s Tour after a friend said it was the highlight of her Alaska cruise. Also, TripAdvisor has it listed as the #1 thing to do in Ketchikan so I decided to give it a try. This tour is offered through the cruise line but I booked it directly with the company.

The Aleutian Ballad is a ship that was featured on the deadliest catch. They converted the ship with theater style seating facing all the action. Thank goodness there was shelter above the seats. The crew was very accommodating and hospitable. They offered warm raincoats, hot chocolate, and coffee. There was also snacks and souvenirs available for purchase.

DSC05283-XL.jpg

DSC05529-XL.jpg

Blog5-X3.jpg

The highlight of the tour for me was when we visited Annette Island where hundreds of Bald Eagles live. Capturing these photos were quite the task the eagles were all over the place and very fast.

Blog8-X3.jpg

Blog3-X3.jpg

Blog7%20-2-L.jpg

I didn't rent any I used the gear I had though I wish I would have rented a longer zoom lens. Here is the gear I brought on this trip:

Camera: Sony A7RII

Lenses: Sony 55mm; Sony 16-35; and Sony 70-200mm

13244628_10208486072822294_8806155067814743145_n-L.jpg

Vivian,

We are thinking of an Alaska cruise.

Your comment about the longer lens prompted couple a questions.

I usually take my 150-600 f/5-6.3 on cruises.

On the cloudy/overcast days did you have stop lower than f/6.3 without bouncing the ISO really high ?

My sweet spot on this lens is around f/8. Can I get fast enough shutter speeds at that f/stop again without raising my ISO over the ISO 64 - 200 range?

I want to get the reach of that lens. I love my 70-200 f/2.8 but sometimes it's just not enough.

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the lens response. I'm still thinking through what we will use for photography. (I also want to be in the moment, not just thinking about taking photos or videos.)

If your budget permits, consider a Sony RX10 III. 24-600mm f/2.4-4.0 bridge camera. Smaller than a dedicated DSLR and no extra lenses to pack. Just picked one up in advance of this cruise and its amazing.

Thanks SO MUCH for the great review and information! I'm on the last cruise of this season and getting excited for the details, so I really appreciate the Freestyle Dailies to help with planning. And just like everyone else, I'm in awe of your photos...but the eagle shots really take the cake, they put tears in my eyes. Beautiful family, beautiful vacation!

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the same cruise, Norwegian Pearl, in May 14-21, 2017. I am so excited after seeing your photos. So much beauty, it is unbelievable. We are renting a car in Skagway too, and from what you saw, it looks awesome.

Did you have enough time in Juneau to walk over to the glacier and falls? We are booked on a whale watching tour with Mendenhall Glacier and everyone said it is limited time and you have to walk fast, take your photos and run back.

Glacier Bay also looks awesome. Thanks so much for sharing and if anyone has any suggestions for our first Alaska cruise, please write me. Thanks. Christine

• 2 months later...

wow! best ever cruise review! We'll be cruising on the Jewel in August and now after reading you and looking at your wonderful pictures makes me want to practice with my new camera. I have a clothing question : how different the temperature is ? Once back on the ship, did you still wore warm clothes or changed for more "summer" clothing? what percentage of warm vs summer clothing to back? Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

HI Vivian, I am leaving on Pearl 7/23/17. I have booked the Yukon Rail/bus tour with Chilkoot but have nothing yet for Juneau so glad you posted info about buying tour on pier. Can you tell me what company and was it $85 to see both mendenhall and whale watch? What time did you catch the tour? Thanks so much for your very detailed review. The pics are gorgeous!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to all those who read along! I apologize for not finishing this review here on CC life got really complicated but I did finish the review on my blog site: visionsandaddictions dot com

I hope I'm not violating any rules but if you would like to read the rest of it just head on over and read the rest of the day in ketchikan, victoria and our last day in Seattle! Thank you all again for the sweet comments!!