Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 04

pierces

Shootr got a new toy!

04_zps9uu8uns5.jpg

After 20+ years of faithful service my Officers pistol finally wore out - and there are no parts left to rebuild her. The manufacturer replaced it with this. I have o complaints...:D

Pictured here is a game-ready, .44 caliber gambling machine! Russian Roulette has been depicted in dozens of movies and somehow, whether played voluntarily or forced by evildoers, the good guy never, ever gets the live chamber. More proof that movies, while (usually) entertaining, rarely depict reality. Also, "don't try this at home" is often incredibly good advice. I usually don’t mix my two “shooting” hobbies but the Ruger Super Blackhawk really is a pretty piece of machinery. If you are curious, the round in the chamber was rendered inert and no cameras (or photographers) were harmed in the making of this image.

One In Six Odds

p2185749040-5.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration shootr!

Dave

Great image, I love me some symmetry!

Hanging out in the 1911 forums, many of the 'smiths are multi-talented. They produce fantastic pieces, but then they take some very pleasing photographs of the end results too. I mean they have a real eye for creating a complete, well lit, well balanced, interesting image.

The only pics I have ready for week 4 are some from Monday, Jan 23, which was my last day on vacation at Disney World. I shared pics from the other parks in the week 3 thread, so week 4 starts off with Animal Kingdom shots - taken with the Sony A6300 and lovely FE70-300mm G OSS lens. Here's a very close up with a giraffe taken from the safari truck:

original.jpg

A lovely pair of female lions resting on a kopje:

original.jpg

Closeup look at a tiger hiding in the grasses:

original.jpg

Portrait of a pensive gorilla:

original.jpg

Backlight creating a halo around the strong-necked predator hyena:

original.jpg

I am taking on a new photo self-assignment - diners of New Jersey. This is the first installment. Skylark Diner at Twilight.

32611137105_aa247fc73b_c.jpg

Great idea! This is the sort thing these pic-a-week threads were for. Don't forget to make a book when you're done. I do that every year for my pics-of-the-week.

Example: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/6779745/c44cd5f76a9a63b08a9ddd802aedb1d497e59706 (click on the book cover for a link to the full preview. They're not really intended for sale but that's the way Blurb presents the link.)

Have fun!

Dave

Edited by pierces

hi pierces

they are fantastic pics of the animals, in fact awsome. i am only a learner( in fact alot to learn yet.) i just love taking pics not for profesional use. i would like to ask what camera you used, if i may. thanks. lynn,

The animal shots are actually from Justin (zackiedawg). He usually shoots these with a Sony A6300 and the Sony FE 70-300 G lens.

His animal pics are legendary on this board!

Dave

Thank you Griffster - I didn't realize at first until Dave replied that you were referring to (probably) my photos. Indeed Dave is correct as to the camera and lens combo used for those shots above...A6300 and FE70-300mm G OSS lens.

To be honest, similar shots could be taken with pretty much any camera with the same-sized sensor and similar quality lens...it's less about 'brand' and model of camera as the quality of a larger sensor and a higher-grade lens, as well as the outside variables of photographer and light. I have been an avid wildlife and bird photographer for well over a decade now, which helps me since I've become familiar enough with the subject and the settings needed to shoot them just over many years of trial and error and learning from mistakes!

The main keys I can offer in general for wildlife and bird shooting, is to use a larger sensor camera if possible (APS-C sensors in DSLR and mirrorless cameras are my personal pick, but the slightly smaller M4:3 sensors in some mirrorless cameras and full-frame sensors in large or pro DSLRs all will work), a decent quality lens with at least 300mm of equivalent reach if possible, and then concentrate on keeping your shutter speeds high enough to freeze any movements - both yours and the animals...with fairly stationary animals, I tend to prefer using spot focus point and AF-S focus modes - half-press the shutter to lock focus and full press to shoot quickly thereafter. If dealing with moving subjects, I'll typically use AF-C focus mode with either wide or center/zone focus areas which allow the focus system to track the movement while I worry about keeping it in the frame. Hope that helps a little!

hi zackiedawg

many, many thanks for the info, like i said i am a learner. i have taken (what i think) some good pics, but obviosly i would like to be better. my phone takes some good pics. it a samsung android, i have a LUMIX 12 MEGA PIXELS 29 FS15. AND ALSO SAMSUNG WB 1100F 35XWIDE OPTICAL ZOOM WITH A SAMSUNG LENS 16.4 MEGA PIXELS, ( the lens is fixed and there is no view finder) 4.5-157-5mm 1.3.0-5.9.25mm. i have had some good pics with all of them but i would like one with a view finder. i find somtimes with only having the lcd one gets the glare of the sun.

your pics are SO. SO, CRISP AND SHARP they are beautifull. thanks once again. lynn

Great idea! This is the sort thing these pic-a-week threads were for. Don't forget to make a book when you're done. I do that every year for my pics-of-the-week.

Example: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/6779745/c44cd5f76a9a63b08a9ddd802aedb1d497e59706 (click on the book cover for a link to the full preview. They're not really intended for sale but that's the way Blurb presents the link.)

Have fun!

Dave

We also would like a marks out of 10 for the food. Just in case it looks good from the outside and not inside