Motion difference between floors 9-14?

mrs.seaweed

Hi again! Since you guys are such a good source of info, I have another question! :)

We are currently booked on the BA going to the Bahamas on a mid ship balcony on the 9th floor. I have cruised many times before, but DH is a first timer and is a bit nervous about being motion sick.

I got an email about upgrades to the Haven and am considering maybe upgrading to that or a spa mini which is midship but both are on the 14th floor and I don't want to have too much motion and turn DH off the whole cruising experience for good.

Has anyone cruised noticed a difference? Should I keep a first timer off the 14th floor? And is the Haven worth the upgrade?

The ENTIRE ship moves.....not just one deck! If you are mid-ship, there won't be much difference! It's the ENDS of the ship that can perceive more motion...think of a see-saw....

There are medications which can totally take care of any "motion" issues!

As far as the "upsell"...I guess it depends how much more they want for a better experience!

(I've dredged up an old post of mine from a similar thread in the past)

Here's my experience:

Pitch (i.e. stern up bow down or bow up stern down type motion) - lower and more central reduces "felt" motion.

Yaw (i.e. the ship being diverted either starboard or port off the desired course) - "felt" motion greater to the bow regardless of deck.

Roll (i.e. the side-to-side starboard down port up transitioning to starboard up port down motion... where you feel the ship is rolling back and forth from side to side) - "felt" motion greater the higher up you are regardless of bow to stern orientation. List, by the way, occurs when a prevailing wind condition keeps the ship at a lean to starboard or port but not rolling. As with roll, however, you'd "feel" list more on higher decks regardless of being fore, mid, or aft.

Surge (i.e. the whole ship being forced forward or backward against it's inertia) and Heave (i.e. the whole ship dropping down or rising up) will be "felt" pretty much the same regardless of where you are on board.

So - of the typical ship motions (which often occur in concert as opposed to discretely) your position on the ship will only change how you experience some of them but it is true to say you will "feel" more motion on higher decks toward the bow because that position isn't relatively sheltered from any of the typical movements. My favourite place - because I like to feel motion - is a bow suite.

Note - I'm not a sailor but I play one on "boards".

Here's my experience:

Pitch (i.e. stern up bow down or bow up stern down type motion) - lower and more central reduces "felt" motion.

Yaw (i.e. the ship being diverted either starboard or port off the desired course) - "felt" motion greater to the bow regardless of deck.

Roll (i.e. the side-to-side starboard down port up transitioning to starboard up port down motion... where you feel the ship is rolling back and forth from side to side) - "felt" motion greater the higher up you are regardless of bow to stern orientation. List, by the way, occurs when a prevailing wind condition keeps the ship at a lean to starboard or port but not rolling. As with roll, however, you'd "feel" list more on higher decks regardless of being fore, mid, or aft.

Surge (i.e. the whole ship being forced forward or backward against it's inertia) and Heave (i.e. the whole ship dropping down or rising up) will be "felt" pretty much the same regardless of where you are on board.

I omitted some of the above quote but it is a nice description. IMO roll and pitch are most likely to occur and surge and heave are the most disconcerting.

I haven't noticed a difference between these decks. We were on 14 forward on BA and were fine. My hubby also suffers from motion sickness. He can't even ride a carousel. The meds knock him out and make him feel worse. Get him the sea bands, put them on two days before sailing. Work wonders with no drugs.

Since you are going to be spending much of your time out of your cabin, it makes no sense to decide where the cabin will be based on fears of motion. Are you going to avoid all the activities on the upper decks just because you may get sick? If you are prone to motion sickness, you will get seasick on any deck. Take medication as a precaution and there won't be a problem. I would never give up the Haven just because when I am sleeping or relaxing in my room I may get sick. I would just take medicine.

You can get Seabands on Amazon among many other websites. However, what we found works best is Bonine (drug name Meclazine) which is available over the counter in just about any pharmacy in the US. No drowsiness and no seasickness at all. However, for an extreme situation nothing can beat a Trans Derm Scop (by prescription from your doctor.) We take these as emergency backup but have only had to use them once in the past decade and only for one day when going through the Bay of Biscay which was crazy rough that day - so much so all outside decks were closed, but then walking around the ship was a real challenge. We had a forward cabin on 9 and choose to take our IPADs, go midship and stay there all day. Thinks were just too wild at the bow of the ship to stay in our cabin. Thankfully, by bedtime, things had calmed down a bit and after that, we got into the Med and things were calm and smooth for the rest of the cruise and it was like the rough seas had never happened.

Certainly, it is best to plan ahead to prevent seasickness altogether.

In regards to the Haven, it is awesome on the Breakaway. I also recommend getting a spa pass as the spa is wonderful and that's where we spent most days at sea. For the food alone in the Haven Restaurant, I would book Haven, but then if you add in the beautiful suites, butler and concierge service, and the wonderful Haven Pool area plus all the amenities you get - well, yes it is well worth it!

You can get Seabands on Amazon among many other websites. However, what we found works best is Bonine (drug name Meclazine) which is available over the counter in just about any pharmacy in the US. No drowsiness and no seasickness at all. However, for an extreme situation nothing can beat a Trans Derm Scop (by prescription from your doctor.) We take these as emergency backup but have only had to use them once in the past decade and only for one day when going through the Bay of Biscay which was crazy rough that day - so much so all outside decks were closed, but then walking around the ship was a real challenge. We had a forward cabin on 9 and choose to take our IPADs, go midship and stay there all day. Thinks were just too wild at the bow of the ship to stay in our cabin. Thankfully, by bedtime, things had calmed down a bit and after that, we got into the Med and things were calm and smooth for the rest of the cruise and it was like the rough seas had never happened.

Certainly, it is best to plan ahead to prevent seasickness altogether.

In regards to the Haven, it is awesome on the Breakaway. I also recommend getting a spa pass as the spa is wonderful and that's where we spent most days at sea. For the food alone in the Haven Restaurant, I would book Haven, but then if you add in the beautiful suites, butler and concierge service, and the wonderful Haven Pool area plus all the amenities you get - well, yes it is well worth it!

Depends on the person taking the bonine. Knocked hubby out. Maybe it was because it was a pretty good storm.