How scooter-friendly are the ports?

mamasylvia

I should have asked about this earlier but at least I'm not on the verge of sailing. (I am asking here instead of the Disabled board because you don't have to be disabled to notice whether a road is paved.) I will be bringing my mobility scooter (folding Triaxe Sport, 4-wheel but the 2 front wheels are only a couple of inches apart so it steers like a 3-wheel) on a Norwegian Pearl cruise in May: Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria. My scooter needs paved flat surfaces, it doesn't do well on even a light soil layer over packed earth. I've never tried it on cobbles. Those of you who have been there, do you think I'll be able to use it:

Juneau: Mendenhall, then go across the street to the tram and hopefully spend some time sightseeing downtown

Skagway: ship's White Pass/Yukon excursion (will I be able to use it go get around Carcross, I already know the bus and train will be accessible - it folds so taking up bus/train room isn't an issue), and again will I be able to use it around downtown?

Ketchikan: probably won't have time for anything but the tour but if we do, will I be able to get around downtown?

I will have my manual wheelchair as well, but I don't want my poor husband to have to push me around long distances, especially in dust/snow/mud. That's why I have a scooter!

Thoughts....

• in general you will be fine in town around the ports.
  • excursions outside of town will be a challenge with gravel and dirt roads
  • Mendenhall is fine around the visitor center, but the more distant trails will be dirt.
  • Carcross sound be fine.... Caribou Crossing will be difficult

To assess the terrain yourself... check out Google Map Streetviews and flickr for images.

You'll be fine in Ketchikan (downtown - I haven't been to totem bight or Saxman Village) and Juneau city (Parts of Mendenhall are paved, others are not.)

You also have the benefit of going to a state (Alaska) as opposed to a country (like in the Caribbean) where a lot of places open to the general public are required to be ADA compliant.

I should have asked about this earlier but at least I'm not on the verge of sailing. (I am asking here instead of the Disabled board because you don't have to be disabled to notice whether a road is paved.) I will be bringing my mobility scooter (folding Triaxe Sport, 4-wheel but the 2 front wheels are only a couple of inches apart so it steers like a 3-wheel) on a Norwegian Pearl cruise in May: Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria. My scooter needs paved flat surfaces, it doesn't do well on even a light soil layer over packed earth. I've never tried it on cobbles. Those of you who have been there, do you think I'll be able to use it:

Juneau: Mendenhall, then go across the street to the tram and hopefully spend some time sightseeing downtown

Juneau is the capital of AK. It is a modern city. You will not have any issue there, however getting your scooter to Mendenhall is going to be an issue. Your scooter is not going to work on the tram, and even if it did when you get to the top it is mostly dirt paths.

Skagway: ship's White Pass/Yukon excursion (will I be able to use it go get around Carcross, I already know the bus and train will be accessible - it folds so taking up bus/train room isn't an issue), and again will I be able to use it around downtown?

There is no way to take your scooter on the bus or train, even if it folds. Your manual chair will work as long as your husband can carry it by himself.

Ketchikan: probably won't have time for anything but the tour but if we do, will I be able to get around downtown?

Ketchikan is a well developed town and is probably the most accessible of the ones you are asking about.

I will have my manual wheelchair as well, but I don't want my poor husband to have to push me around long distances, especially in dust/snow/mud. That's why I have a scooter!

Sorry with the news but you are wanting to venture out in wilderness type areas and the facilities are just not what you would expect. The train cars are restored from any earlier time and are not equipped for handicapped passengers. You have to climb about three to four steps even to get into the car. Your wheelchair can go with you on the train but there is no way to get a scooter on and off the train.

Thanks for all the info. Actually, one of the White Pass rail cars is equipped with a lift, but it has to be booked through the ship (which I did). And I will be telephoning repeatedly to make sure that car is going to be designated for my tour! The shore excursion number also confirmed that the bus is equipped with a lift to get me on and off, but did caution me that the driver won't have time at quick photo stops for me to get off.

What about Caribou Crossing will be difficult? It frankly doesn't look large enough on Google Maps to be a problem.

Cruise info and accessible desk both say we'll be docked at all ports. I'm very aware that that can change but I'm hoping.

> Your scooter is not going to work on the tram, and even if it did when you get to the top it is mostly dirt paths.

Interesting. Their web site says they are fully ADA-compliant. I sent them a "contact us" message, we'll see what they say.

Thanks for all the info. Actually, one of the White Pass rail cars is equipped with a lift, but it has to be booked through the ship (which I did). And I will be telephoning repeatedly to make sure that car is going to be designated for my tour!

Yes - they advertise the train as ADA friendly and a lot of people in wheelchairs take this excursion. You won't have a problem with this.

Thanks. I'm not worried about the bus or train portions, just wondering if my scooter will be able to get around Carcross. Doesn't look too big but are the roads/pathways paved or just dirt?

Edited by mamasylvia

Mamasylvia, be forewarned that the sidewalks in most of the ports in Alaska are very narrow and very crowded at times. In some cases it’s almost impossible to walk 2 abreast. In Carcross there is a lot of gravel on the streets. What is the range of your Triaxe Sport scooter?

Officially its battery range is 18 miles, I haven't used it for long enough at a time to have a feel for what distance/time I will personally get from it. I plan to spend some time at the mall soon to check that out.

I'm more concerned about how it will handle gravel. Thanks for the tip, I have time before we leave to find a gravel road and check that out, and I am adept enough at steering to not hit anyone unintentionally.

I've used it in crowds before so I'm not real concerned about that. People are almost always very courteous to someone with mobility issues. The scooter itself is only 22" wide (actually not as wide as my wheelchair) and I'm patient.

I wonder if you will be better off doing RT train ride in Skagway, especially if you will be on the bus a lot one way (and not able to get off). It maybe better to spend your time in downtown Skagway where you will have little to no mobility issues. The National Park Service does a great free walking tour downtown that would be pretty accessible.

Carcross has a lot of dirt and gravel areas.

We have bought the White Pass/Yukon Expedition and are going with friends, so that ship has sailed. So to speak. ;) But knowing what the terrain is like helps me decide whether the scooter or wheelchair will be better in a particular situation and what I will/won't be able to do.

• 2 months later...