Budgeting for wine on Princess Sun

Hi, just wondering what the wine prices are like on Aussie Princess cruises - have only done O/S ones to date and price was in $US - looking for an idea for what to budget for a cheapish bottle. Price of cocktails too?

We were on over Xmas and I found the pricing in $AUD very similar to the prices we saw in $USD on our previous cruise. Could easily find bottles of wine around $30 (or even under down to around $27 I think). Didn't drink a lot of cocktails, but around $11-$13AUD from memory for the ones we were drinking.

Edited by sir-magoo

You can take a bottle of wine each on board when you embark. If you take extra bottles, they are supposed to charge you $15 corkage on each bottle, but it isn't always charged. If you take a reasonable bottle from Dan Murphy and pay the corkage it is still a good price. Sometimes, they allow the one bottle per person to be brought on board at each port. This is not the regulation, but it often happens. :) If you pay the corkage you can take the bottle of wine to the dining room, otherwise no.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Princess wines aren't nearly as expensive as those but, then again, they aren't as good. There are a lot of cheap US wines on the Princess wine list these days. The first Princess cruise we went on, in December 2014, had a much better selection of wines but things seem to have changed since then.

If your allowing $40 pp per day - why not just get the drink package?

I love wine and have been on 23 Princess cruises - not all that impressed with wine prices - look at the 7/10/12 bottle wine package - ask your MD waiter -

As stated. Bring your own and after the first two - pay corkage

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I love wine and have been on 23 Princess cruises - not all that impressed with wine prices - look at the 7/10/12 bottle wine package - ask your MD waiter -

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Because in my experience on Princess that is what I would allow, a better bottles that is shared over dinner.

1. The 7/10/12 bottle packages aren't available on Australian based cruises.

2. Many of the wines by the glass are poor quality wines IMHO. We are seriously considering not getting the package any more as we would like a better choice of wines. Wines by the glass average AU $8 each. A dinner we would drink three glasses each (roughly a bottle betweeen us), equal to $48. We can get a much nicer bottle of wine to share for $48.

I have always got the wine bottle package where available but not here. Do you pay the corkage on extra bottles when you board and then just bring it into dining room without any further charge?

Yep.

You are also charged corkage if you take one of your "free" ones to the MDR (or you are supposed to be).

How do they know the bottle you bring into dining room has already had corkage paid on it - is it stamped or something when you board? Or you could just be taking one of your two freebies in there?

I've seen them stamp them, put a sticker on them, or even sign the label, sticker seems the most common, indeed last cruise they didn't even put the sticker on, so if you took 6 bottles, they'd charge you $60 and give you four stickers, so you could choose which to apply it to.

How do they know the bottle you bring into dining room has already had corkage paid on it - is it stamped or something when you board? Or you could just be taking one of your two freebies in there?

They are stamped and the freebies are supposed to be for consumption in your room, corkage may be charged if taken to the MDR.

BTW, I know corkage on US cruises is US$15, is it AUD$15 on Aussie cruises?

Yes $15 AUD, after security screening, there is a desk where it is debited to your cruise card. Stickers handed over and you place the stickers on the bottles as required.

We did this on the Dawn Princess last April from White Bay and Emerald OPT, so the same process at both ports.

• 4 months later...

The pinot grigio by the glass is Danzante (Italian) and it's very nice. Can't remember if they have others by the bottle.

Not sure about the chardonnays, the ones I've tried by the glass haven't been great, very acidic.