New to Thomson Cruises

We are going on our first Thomsons Cruise (7 days) later this year on the Dream. We have cruised many times before 20+ on P & O alone together with Princess, Costa and once on Cunard. Can anyone give us a run down on what to expect from Thomsons Cruises and the main differences from the others.

Also a few queries (apologies if these have already been answered recently on other threads).

1) With only 1 formal night scheduled I would be a little reluctant to take my full kilt outfit if the formal night dress code is not well adhered to. Can anyone advise?

2) We have initially booked the basic price as we are normally perfectly happy with an inside cabin. Is it worthwhile, however, to upgrade to a higher deck, also inside, on this particular ship?

3) We have an AI drinks package. We don't drink spirits so are interested in the other drinks included in the package. What draft beers are fully included? Are any bottled beers in the package? How is the quality of the house wines and is Port included in the package?

4) We notice that a charge is made for the use of the room safe. we have never encountered such a charge before. How much is charged for this?

Thank you for any replies.

Hi Tayscot only ever been with Thomson,50+ times, so cannot advise on comparison's and on Dream always have an outside plus on deck nine, but will try to help with the other points, drinks are OK on the AI with draught beer and larger good sherry and port, we like the house wine Bailey's has returned and also proseco bottled beer carries a supliment £2 for speckled hen. We find it's about 50/50 with tux on Captain's night with a few in full kilt outfit,which is great to see, but I can understand if you're only doing one week if you elect not to, I think the safe charge is about £12 per week.When are you going we are on her again in April😁

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Room safe is £15 a week, £25 for two weeks.

I was surprised to find the safes on Discovery were free, maybe because of the TUI all inclusive concept. Hopefully as Thomson changes to TUI all safes will be free.

A word of caution about insurance policies. Some may have clauses that state that if you make a claim for missing items and you did not use a room safe if one was available your claim will be rejected :eek:

I think you will find the shows exceptionally good if you like that kind of thing - Thomson are much better in our experience than other cruise lines although we feel P&O have upped their game significantly - at least on our last trip on Azura. The show team are also active at other times on board - late cabarets, live deck parties etc. I would recommend making a point of seeing the production shows.

If you are happy with the concept of an inside cabin then I think you will be quite happy - decent size cabin but have you paid the cabin supplement for a specific cabin? If you haven't, I would suggest that is a good idea so that you can choose the deck/location rather than it being pot luck (within the category you have booked). I can't comment on all decks but we generally settled for midships Deck 6 and been happy with the location.

The only P&O ship we've been on is Oceana a couple of years ago. The ship is very similar to Dream, not much to compare with the cabins and lounges. I would say the P&O food in the MDR was slightly better than Thomsons but the Thomsons buffet is much better. The main difference we found was the entertainment. The first night we expected the 'sail-away' but there was nothing. No outside entertainment except a couple of evenings a lady had a laptop playing through a speaker. You'll find the entertainment on Thomsons much better with live music outside, the Thomsons team really work hard and it shows. Have a lovely cruise.

I've cruised with P&O on Arcadia and Azura. There's little to choose between them and Thomson on food, however the main reason I think Thomson are great are that the MDR is all open sitting. If you turn up around 6.45/7 you will always get a table for 2 if thats what you want. After the first night,if you tell the waiting staff(who are really great) you will be back the next night they will keep that table for you. They are also very generous with the table wine if you are on AI.

I wouldnt go with P&O again while they force the fixed seating on you (if you are on one of their cheaper fares you may well find you are too late for "freedom" dining).

I think the best thing about Thomson are the unfailingly nice staff,they really make the cruise.

Edited by tilford

I've cruised with both Thomson and P&O extensively and both have positives and negatives. P&O's ships are newer and brighter and generally cleaner but Thomson's crew are far more friendly and welcoming. The food we've found pretty even although were a little disappointed with the Spirit's offerings last year. Drink prices are about the same but remember Thomsons do include all tips in their prices. Entertainment is down to the individual. Thomsons is more akin to Butlins in my opinion and verges on the cringe-worthy but many enjoy it.