Galveston port to iah

hopeful2

Royal Caribbean charges $58/pp from the port to IAH. If you are talking about a commercial shuttle such as Super Shuttle, the cost is approx. $200 for 4-6 people. You would have to book it online ahead of time and they would meet you at the port. Others could be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does it honestly take 2 hours to get to the Cruise terminal from IAH with Galveston Limo?

It is one hour to two hours door to door depending on number of stops Limo services make

and traffic .

We live in Galveston and can drive car to IAH from home in little over an hour

with good traffic, (if we push it).

Traffic is better though in last couple of weeks, as an example:

5 lanes are open now out bound from Houston from Beltway to Nasa Rd One .

In bound 5 lanes on same stretch are opening very soon.

We just used Aim limousine service for our transportation to and from the cruise port in Galveston to IAH and it was great! We were a group of 10 and it worked out cheaper than any shuttle service. We paid $340ish total each way, taxes and gratuity included.

FYI. If you want to use another shuttle service, book early because they fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is one hour to two hours door to door depending on number of stops Limo services make

and traffic .

We live in Galveston and can drive car to IAH from home in little over an hour

with good traffic, (if we push it).

Traffic is better though in last couple of weeks, as an example:

5 lanes are open now out bound from Houston from Beltway to Nasa Rd One .

In bound 5 lanes on same stretch are opening very soon.

Do you take the Beltway, 610 loop, or 45 all the way? Even if the Limo service drives direct from port to IAH I would expect it to take closer to 2 hours since they will need to contend with all the traffic incoming and outgoing from the cruise terminal. I would hope they would take the Beltway to save time at the expense of tolls, but I would still expect a limo service to drive at more "reasonable" speeds.

Do you take the Beltway, 610 loop, or 45 all the way? Even if the Limo service drives direct from port to IAH I would expect it to take closer to 2 hours since they will need to contend with all the traffic incoming and outgoing from the cruise terminal. I would hope they would take the Beltway to save time at the expense of tolls, but I would still expect a limo service to drive at more "reasonable" speeds.

It's a non- issue with cruise terminal traffic; it moves. Harborside to 45north to 59 north. Beltway and 610 loop are not direct routes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's a non- issue with cruise terminal traffic; it moves. Harborside to 45north to 59 north. Beltway and 610 loop are not direct routes.

Beltway is about as direct as going all the way into downtown as 59 forces you to work your way back to the east while traveling north. Also, the traffic along the Beltway is no where near as heavy as you get downtown.

Beltway is about as direct as going all the way into downtown as 59 forces you to work your way back to the east while traveling north. Also, the traffic along the Beltway is no where near as heavy as you get downtown.[/quote

To each his own. !5 years of driving to IAH from Galveston, the most direct route is as I stated. Even the limo drivers we have used use this route going and coming.

Each driver must make their own decision which works best for them. On a weekend, traffic moves quickly.

Houston population of 6 million + will always have traffic, no matter which direction one goes.

To each his own. !5 years of driving to IAH from Galveston, the most direct route is as I stated. Even the limo drivers we have used use this route going and coming.

Each driver must make their own decision which works best for them. On a weekend, traffic moves quickly.

Houston population of 6 million + will always have traffic, no matter which direction one goes.

I won't dispute that it is the most direct route. Even Google Maps confirms that, by 2 miles, your route is more direct. However, that wasn't the issue. The issue is, someone asked if it really takes 2 hours to get from the port to IAH. Someone else responded that they can make it in just over an hour if they push it. So I asked which route they were taking. I know a great number of people that prefer to avoid tolls in Houston (and I would suspect this is why the limo drivers take 45 into downtown). Then others that prefer to take toll roads because the flow of traffic is usually more fluid.

While the 45 to 59 route may work just fine for you, I would put my money, 9 times out of 10, that 2 cars traveling from the cruise terminal to IAH, the car that takes the Beltway will beat the car that takes 45 into downtown on a Sunday during late morning/early afternoon. All it takes is another gun show or an afternoon Astros game to make that whole area a parking lot.

Edited by Scottee25
Typo

I won't dispute that it is the most direct route. Even Google Maps confirms that, by 2 miles, your route is more direct. However, that wasn't the issue. The issue is, someone asked if it really takes 2 hours to get from the port to IAH. Someone else responded that they can make it in just over an hour if they push it. So I asked which route they were taking. I know a great number of people that prefer to avoid tolls in Houston (and I would suspect this is why the limo drivers take 45 into downtown). Then others that prefer to take toll roads because the flow of traffic is usually more fluid.

While the 45 to 59 route may work just fine for you, I would put my money, 9 times out of 10, that 2 cars traveling from the cruise terminal to IAH, the car that takes the Beltway will beat the car that takes 45 into downtown on a Sunday during late morning/early afternoon. All it takes is another gun show or an afternoon Astros game to make that whole area a parking lot.

We can make it in just over an hour, if we push it. (45 South and 59 north route) .

Circumstances can happen any where any time!

:D With 10 full freeway lanes now on I-45 South between Beltway 8 and Nasa One , it is making a big improvement (5 outbound open now from Houston and very very soon 5 inbound (maybe now) to Houston) .

Does nobody take the real "most direct route?" The best way to go from IAH to Galveston, when there is no traffic, is via Highway 59 (I-69) right downtown to I-45 and then on to Galveston. The 2nd best option is Highway 59 (I-69) to Loop 610 to I-45 and then on to Galveston. Sam Houston Toll Road is the third best option because all of these paths are roughly the same time/distance. The downtown option is optimal, though, because it is less expensive in fuel/tolls and generates more tips because who doesn't like to drive through the downtown portion of a major city?

Does nobody take the real "most direct route?" The best way to go from IAH to Galveston, when there is no traffic, is via Highway 59 (I-69) right downtown to I-45 and then on to Galveston. The 2nd best option is Highway 59 (I-69) to Loop 610 to I-45 and then on to Galveston. Sam Houston Toll Road is the third best option because all of these paths are roughly the same time/distance. The downtown option is optimal, though, because it is less expensive in fuel/tolls and generates more tips because who doesn't like to drive through the downtown portion of a major city?

FYI

According to Houston Chronicle ,

I-45 highway thru downtown Houston is going to change much sooner than expected.

Texas transportation officials are moving forward with a plan

to demolish the elevated portion of I-45 on west side of downtown Houston near Pierce Street

and shift the interstate to the east side of downtown where 59 (I-69) is.

The plan was pitched a decade ago, but many officials thought the project would be too disruptive and costly to attempt.

But now, the ambitious improvement is part of an expanded statewide transportation plan.

"We are turning the key and starting the engine and moving," Quincy Allen, district director for the Texas Department of Transportation in Houston told the Houston Chronicle's Dug Begley.

Edited by ssb

Like I said before, Google Maps shows that the most direct routes are in the order you specified. However, the difference between most direct to least direct of the 3 routes is only 2 miles. If the difference is only a couple of minutes then I agree, you take the cheaper option. However, when the difference becomes 15 minutes or longer, one should ask themselves, what is more important to them? Their time or their money? I can always make more money but I can't make more time.

I actually live in Rosenberg so my route to IAH is from the inverse side of town. If I need to go to the airport at 6AM, then taking 59 all the way works for me. However, 7AM until 7PM, that route will be the least effective. In fact, I have had the 59 option take me 1h 5m with no traffic and 2 hours with traffic. However, taking the Beltway during the most busiest times can cut that commute down to 1h 20m.

I just Google Map from the cruise terminal to IAH at 3:45PM CST and the quickest route is the Beltway option, followed by 610 Loop, and then finally the most "direct" route from 45 to 59. Granted, the difference in times from quickest to slowest is only a handful of minutes at this time.

FYI

According to Houston Chronicle ,

I-45 highway thru downtown Houston is going to change much sooner than expected.

Texas transportation officials are moving forward with a plan

to demolish the elevated portion of I-45 on west side of downtown Houston near Pierce Street

and shift the interstate to the east side of downtown where 59 (I-69) is.

The plan was pitched a decade ago, but many officials thought the project would be too disruptive and costly to attempt.

But now, the ambitious improvement is part of an expanded statewide transportation plan.

"We are turning the key and starting the engine and moving," Quincy Allen, district director for the Texas Department of Transportation in Houston told the Houston Chronicle's Dug Begley.

Unfortunately I can't read the article as I don't have a subscription to the Chronicle. So they are just going to divert 45 to use the 59 section that runs between Downtown and EaDo? And then what? Use the section if I10 to connect it back to 45 north of I10? If so, are they talking about widening these areas of 59 and I10? I really need to look into this. We have been looking at buying a place in the loop so this could impact us as some of the areas we have been looking are in EaDo and First Ward. Have you seen this plan discussed anywhere else that is free to view?

Unfortunately I can't read the article as I don't have a subscription to the Chronicle. So they are just going to divert 45 to use the 59 section that runs between Downtown and EaDo? And then what? Use the section if I10 to connect it back to 45 north of I10? If so, are they talking about widening these areas of 59 and I10? I really need to look into this. We have been looking at buying a place in the loop so this could impact us as some of the areas we have been looking are in EaDo and First Ward. Have you seen this plan discussed anywhere else that is free to view?

45 to I10 north of town to 59 east of town back to 45 is connected now with Freeways ! We use that route all the time!

I will see what else we can find!

45 to I10 north of town to 59 east of town back to 45 is connected now with Freeways ! We use that route all the time!

I will see what else we can find!

Friday March 3 2017

After years of delay, work is starting on a modification to Spur 5, the ramp that connects northbound I-45 traffic to downtown via Pease and St. Joseph.

The spur is being rebuilt to also be the U.S.connection from northbound I-45 to Interstate 69, also 59 in the Houston area. Crews will close Spur 5 at Scott Street starting at 9 p.m. Friday so they can demolish the ramp parallel to I-45.

I will consider now leaving Galveston driving north on I-45 toward Houston

to take 610 East around to 610 North to 59 North to IAH. The construction at this point should not effect IAH traffic to Galveston from IAH on 59 North thru east downtown on 59/69 to I45 South to Galveston.

Download Map of Houston Metro Area