Flying into San Juan the day of

noblesclan

My DW and I actually missed our flight the day before :mad: and had to fly in the morning of. We landed about 1, and got a cab right to the ship. Because we got there a little later, there was only a small crowd at check-in and we were on the boat quickly. As long as you have a direct flight I wouldn't see any problem getting to the ship on time.

has anyone ever had problems flying into SJU (San Juan) the day of the cruise? Coming in from DC and will be there at lunch.

Never. I fly out of NY, so JFK to SJU or LGA to SJU is almost like a shuttle service. I book the 1st direct non stop flight out in the morning. If I arrive at 11AM, I can usually be in my cabin and unpacked by just after noon.

I also fly in the morning of the cruise for my MIA and FLL ports as well, never an issue in over 35 cruises. I've often been in the 1st group of Platinum and Diamond cruisers to board the ship after the wedding parties are allowed on.

We tried to take a 10:00 AM direct flight from Boston to San Juan the day of our cruise. Our problem arose when the plane we were scheduled to take had mechanical problems and couldn't get to Boston. We ended up landing in SJ at 9:30 PM for a 10:00 departure, and barely made the ship. That's when DH said NEVER AGAIN!

We have done it, but we spent the night in Tampa the night before. We flew from the west coast.

normally we drive down 2 nights before through the night (to FL from DC) and spend the night in a hotel. but the last time we did this, on the way back, traffic was jacked up on 95 from the FL-GA line to the NC-SC. it took 20 hours to get home. so NEVER AGAIN. plus we cant exactly drive to San Juan ;)

Never. I fly out of NY, so JFK to SJU or LGA to SJU is almost like a shuttle service. I book the 1st direct non stop flight out in the morning. If I arrive at 11AM, I can usually be in my cabin and unpacked by just after noon.

I also fly in the morning of the cruise for my MIA and FLL ports as well, never an issue in over 35 cruises. I've often been in the 1st group of Platinum and Diamond cruisers to board the ship after the wedding parties are allowed on.

This is my experience as well.

I generally only fly out the day before in the winter when there's a serious chance of being delayed by snow.

YES...My experience. I original booked a NS red-eye from Los Angeles to San Juan arriving at 9AM. My NS got cancelled so AA re-booked me via MIA. I got into MIA for a 10:30A departure to San Juan, but that was delayed until 11:35A. Flight from Boston to Miami to San Juan had mechanical issues and had to return to Boston. Flight now delayed until 12:35P. I think we finally departed after 1PM and arrived into San Juan around 3:30P. By the time I got my luggage and checked-in and boarded ship it was around 4:30P. The life boat drill was at 5:15P so I ran to the buffet which was about ready to close. I was staving and my nerves completely shot after all the delays and worrying. Even though the ship didn't sailed until 8PM it ruin the 1st day of my cruise. I swore I would never fly in the day of cruise again. It's just not worth it. When you fly in the day prior and have the whole day to get to the port, then check into a hotel and wake up and refreshed and have the whole morning to get to the ship. Take my advise from an experienced cruiser.

Edited by COMBOY

A few years ago, my wife and I took a Bahamas cruise. We were going to fly to Jacksonville the morning of the cruise. There was a problem with the plane and the airline kept saying it would be fixed. A few hours later, they announced that the flight was cancelled. Therefore, we missed the cruise! Luckily, I had insurance. We rebooked for the following month. we then flew into Orlando the night before just in case.

We are going on the Fascination in a few weeks and guess what? We are flying in the day before even though the cruise does not leave until 10 pm the next day. Not worth taking a chance missing a cruise again. You never know with the weather flying from up North.

A few years ago, my wife and I took a Bahamas cruise. We were going to fly to Jacksonville the morning of the cruise. There was a problem with the plane and the airline kept saying it would be fixed. A few hours later, they announced that the flight was cancelled. Therefore, we missed the cruise! Luckily, I had insurance. We rebooked for the following month. we then flew into Orlando the night before just in case.

We are going on the Fascination in a few weeks and guess what? We are flying in the day before even though the cruise does not leave until 10 pm the next day. Not worth taking a chance missing a cruise again. You never know with the weather flying from up North.

we did the Southern cruise twice 2014 and 2016 both times 3 days pre and 5 days post we do this not only for the peace of mind but why not enjoy the embarkation ports.

which sailings? ours is March 12th