$$ Issues with RCI.

918baker

just want to put my two cents in. I know I am from Canada and you are in the USA but I would like to think that you get the same level of customer service from your bank cc as we do. I had a dispute with a cell phone company for minutes I purchased on my phone. A year later what I thought I bought was not what I had. When dealing with the cell phone company they where rude and would not reactivate my phone. I contacted my credit card company and since the service I thought I had purchased was not given the gave me a full refund. I had to fax over an itemized list of what had transpired (phone calls, emails etc) and copies of receipts. Within 30 I got my money back. So I would suggest contacting your credit card company and asking to speak to the department that handles the disputes of charges. I would say that in your case its special circumstance. Technically you have not taken possession of your purchase per say yet. One other thing is in Canada all TA who are legit are members of an association and if we ever have disputes we can report them. If its serious enough they can have their licences revoked. Have you asked RC to cancel you booking and re book directly through them. Maybe you already answered that.. sorry if its a repeat. I am waiting to hear what happens too. I would like to think that it will all work out.. just do not let this ruin your vacation. If its not resolved before you leave go have a great time and when you get back to life go at it again :)

It has been mentioned to the OP she should try to dispute the $1,400 charge through her bank. According to the Fair Credit Billing Act, a consumer has 60 days from the next billing date to dispute an incorrect charge. Also, I have read if the charge is unauthorized, there is no time limit, so if the $1,400 was unauthorized, she should be able to pursue the dispute. I am not sure if she has tried to discuss it with her bank other than finding out what the time limit is on a mistaken charge.

No call, no email, no anything again?! I am really disappointed in how RCI is handling this...

This is really not surprising. The erroneous/fraudulent charge did not originate with them, but a third party. RCCL received a dollar amount from the TA for a particular account and if the TA gave them incorrect information, that is the fault of the TA, not RCCL. If RCCL refunds or gives the OP onboard credit, it will set a precedent and every time some Tom, Dick or Harry feels their TA "done them wrong", they would hit up RCCL demanding money or OBC. The OP still might get something from RCCL, but ultimately she needs to have a discussion with her bank about what she can do about this horror show.

This is really not surprising. The erroneous/fraudulent charge did not originate with them, but a third party. RCCL received a dollar amount from the TA for a particular account and if the TA gave them incorrect information, that is the fault of the TA, not RCCL. If RCCL refunds or gives the OP onboard credit, it will set a precedent and every time some Tom, Dick or Harry feels their TA "done them wrong", they would hit up RCCL demanding money or OBC. The OP still might get something from RCCL, but ultimately she needs to have a discussion with her bank about what she can do about this horror show.

It's not surprising? They haven't taken this woman off as the TA on the account and given control of the booking back to OP or given her any information about the fraudulent charge made on her card to their company that would enable her to make a police report because of the fact she has a TA... who enabled the fraud. I would say that is very disappointing and surprising.

I believe the OP made several unproductive calls wasting enormous amounts of her time with RCCL attempting to remove the TA from her account, but CS could not do it because it was past final payment. The rules put in place by a large organization are for the benefit of that organization and not for the end user/buyer/consumer. If their rules benefit you, great, but never mistake a company's rules as being in place for you, in fact, it is just the opposite. As far as giving the OP any information about where the $1,400 charge went, it would probably be illegal for RCCL to give that information out the OP. The OP needs to pursue the dispute with her bank, follow up with the consumer advocate and possibly file a case. It is more than likely RCCL will do nothing until forced to do so by court order.

I believe the OP made several unproductive calls wasting enormous amounts of her time with RCCL attempting to remove the TA from her account, but CS could not do it because it was past final payment. The rules put in place by a large organization are for the benefit of that organization and not for the end user/buyer/consumer. If their rules benefit you, great, but never mistake a company's rules as being in place for you, in fact, it is just the opposite. As far as giving the OP any information about where the $1,400 charge went, it would probably be illegal for RCCL to give that information out the OP. The OP needs to pursue the dispute with her bank, follow up with the consumer advocate and possibly file a case. It is more than likely RCCL will do nothing until forced to do so by court order.

But if the OP did that - she is at risk of being denied boarding to her cruise. So until she can get something in writing from RCI that allows her to dispute the unplanned charge without having her cruise cancelled - she should not take that risk!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The September charge wasn't applied to her cruise and she paid for it (again) in full in December.

That being said, now that so many different people have become involved in the situation, it would be better to just sit tight and wait. If RC decide to do something screwy with the September and December payments to get it straight and the September payment has now been disputed, it could throw things into even more chaos.

RCCL called me and a manager from the parent TA company called me this afternoon as well. Pretty much ZERO answers, but they're apparently both working on it. What? I don't know. but they're working on figuring it out....

Manager from parent TA company said that the reservation that my card was charged on, was also charged the same amount. So they paid AND I paid the same amount on the same reservation. TA parent company tried to play it off as a clerical error, that TA had booked 2 cruises on the same day or something equally BS. Considering this was in September which was months and months after I paid my deposit.

I asked both RCCL and TA parent company if they could tell where/who charged my card. As of now they cannot confirm anything. RCCL and TA parent company have reached out to TA. I have TA's personal cell phone number which I emailed to RCCL, I think RCCL was trying to reach her over a Google phone phone number or something they said a 1800 number. Not sure what other number she has as her personal cell is listed on her business FB page. Maybe they were trying to reach her through the parent company number?

TA has not contacted me AT ALL since all of this. I know she's aware of the situation being highly escalated now. I have not reached out to her either though.

I asked RCCL to take her off the reservation, and they are willing but then that means they can't communicate with the TA parent company to try to figure this out. I told her that I wanted concrete answers in 36 hours and then I will take her off.

At this point RCCL knows they have $1400 more of your money then you authorized! The simple answer is that they over charged you and applied that payment to the wrong acct. They need to reverse that Error and credit back to your Credit Card. Seems fairly simple to me.

So sorry your birthday weekend had this hanging over you!

While it might not feel like it, I think that this is good progress. They ARE working together at senior levels and, they said that the other person ALSO paid the same amount as you. AND - you have helped them try to get connected to the TA. This means that the the effort that you and the Elliot Group have put in IS working. Now you mostly just have to sit tight and let them finish this up - a few days to do that isn't unreasonable (while still unfortunate it has taken this long to get to this point).

In regards to the travel agent booking - some ideas...could you have them change the travel agent to the head of the parent company that you spoke to today instead of the TA you booked with? Or - are they at least able to truly freeze your booking so that the TA cannot make changes electronically and must call - and the. even though they are on the record, the would be restricted at the time of the call from changes?

I hope that tomorrow is another productive day for you!!! Keep your chin up - it WILL be over soon!!!

Have been following this thread and just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Have no worries about getting your $$ back. It will happen. I work for a credit union and have worked in the dept that resolves fraud/disputed charges on credit cards. This is outside the norm dispute (since u didn't know it was fraud until recently) and your credit union will get your $$ back. $1,400 isn't much at all for the CU.

Hi - I've been following with interest. You have a great attitude about this - I'm sure I'd be in an absolute tizzy!

As a big fan of Elliott, I follow his blog daily. He helped me with a hotel issue once upon a time! One of the more common complaints they handle is from people who are told they are getting a refund from a company, only to say that they never received it. Turns out most companies have a policy that they refund only to the original form of payment, and in many of these cases the complainant has had to cancel a credit card and get a new number for one reason or another, so the bank either rejects the refund or doesn't return it to the "new" card number that has been issued.

It appears likely that at some point here someone - either RCCL or the TA company - is going to refund your $1400 and I'd guess they'll try to return it to the card. I believe you said earlier that you have asked your bank to issue a new number, effectively closing that original card. You may want to talk to your bank now to find out how any refunds issued to the old number will be treated. Having had multiple new cards issued for one reason or another (Target breach, Home Depot breach, etc.), I've learned that some of my cards will automatically transfer to the new card account and some will not. If yours will not, you may be able to head that problem off by asking for the refund to be directed to the new account, or by check. Since the card was changed out as a direct result of this fiasco, one would hope they'd play ball with you!

Not trying to find more problems - just trying to prevent a potential scenario that would complicate matters once you achieve a resolution to get your $$ back!

Good luck - I hope you have a great cruise regardless of all of this!

Two maybe 3 years ago, I was notified by mail that $250 was credited by RCCL to a Credit Card we no longer had. I went down to see our TA ASAP. Somehow RCCL in moving our daughter to her Aunts room and moving the deposit it came up with this amount as an over payment.. We had to end up giving them back the money since it should never been credited back to us. Things are looking brighter in your situation and am sure you will receive the $1400 back .

Things like this is the EXACT reason we have a debit card on a bank account that is only used for vacations. For our upcoming cruise, when a payment was due or being made we pulled money out of our savings and deposited it in that account. It is impossible for any company to hit our card for an amount that is not due. Simply put, the money isn't there and the attempted charge will be denied.

It is fortunate that the OP had the availability on their card. I know hindsight is 20/20 but they should have never allowed the first charge to remain. If I read correctly, it wasn't due and they just let RCI keep it anyway.

Since I would never be in this situation I guess that is why it is hard for me to be understanding. Both the TA and RCI acknowledge the charge was incorrect. I am of the opinion one of them needs to either "shirt or get off the pot" so to speak and give them their money back. They can fight it out among themselves after I am whole.

Things like this is the EXACT reason we have a debit card on a bank account that is only used for vacations. For our upcoming cruise, when a payment was due or being made we pulled money out of our savings and deposited it in that account. It is impossible for any company to hit our card for an amount that is not due. Simply put, the money isn't there and the attempted charge will be denied.

Excellent suggestion. In fact, anyone who uses a debit card for cruises should have two cards. One for their life and one for their cruises. It's essential that you do not allow your bank to link the cards. Linking the cards defeats the purpose.

OP is going to come out good in this now. RCCL is working on it, parent TA company is on it and Elliott is on it. I would not be the least bit surprised if you come out better than $1400 in the end. You will quite possible get your money back and all some bit of goodwill from somebody for your extensive troubles.

At this point RCCL knows they have $1400 more of your money then you authorized! The simple answer is that they over charged you and applied that payment to the wrong acct. They need to reverse that Error and credit back to your Credit Card. Seems fairly simple to me.

So sorry your birthday weekend had this hanging over you!

But that Credit Card has been cancelled. It will take another month to figure out how to refund the money. Gosh, I really hope this cets resolved.

While it might not feel like it, I think that this is good progress. They ARE working together at senior levels and, they said that the other person ALSO paid the same amount as you. AND - you have helped them try to get connected to the TA. This means that the the effort that you and the Elliot Group have put in IS working. Now you mostly just have to sit tight and let them finish this up - a few days to do that isn't unreasonable (while still unfortunate it has taken this long to get to this point).In regards to the travel agent booking - some ideas...could you have them change the travel agent to the head of the parent company that you spoke to today instead of the TA you booked with? Or - are they at least able to truly freeze your booking so that the TA cannot make changes electronically and must call - and the. even though they are on the record, the would be restricted at the time of the call from changes?

I hope that tomorrow is another productive day for you!!! Keep your chin up - it WILL be over soon!!!

YES. It IS progress, most definitely. Just frustratingly slow progress. but now that the parent company is involved I'm very hopeful that they will get this straightened out ASAP. They're a "preferred partner" with RCCL so I know the higher ups must work together on a semi-regular basis.

SO very thankful for the Elliot referral JVille!!

Unsure if I can transfer to actual parent company, I will definitely ask today! I have said repeatedly on the phone, on what I assume is recorded phone calls. They say they may be recorded but since it's the exec CS I assume they're all recorded, and have also said in emails, that I have absolutely no plans to cancel or alter my cruise in any way other than cruise planner additions such as spa, excursions, and such. I am absolutely not changing my room, cruise date, ship, etc. My kids are still going, my husband is still going, nothing on our reservation that we booked last year is changing at ALL. SO worried that TA will cancel on me and RCCL will allow it.

Excellent suggestion. In fact, anyone who uses a debit card for cruises should have two cards. One for their life and one for their cruises. It's essential that you do not allow your bank to link the cards. Linking the cards defeats the purpose.

Very very fantastic suggestion. We have a vacations savings account but I have never thought of a vacations checking account and using it like that. My hubs loathes debit cards but he would definitely be okay with that arrangement since it's just the exact amount available. We don't take BIG vacations (where we need 4 plane tickets, hotels for longer than a few nights, etc) very often, but if we could find a checking account with low fees it may be worth it. Not sure if we can open and close checking/savings accounts every 3-4 years :'):')

Get RCCL to put in writing that no changes will be allowed on your reservation without written authorization from you.

And if (per your post last night) the Parent TA thinks this is a clerical error, then they should just get that little error reversed! You might ask the Parent TA if there is Errors & Omissions Insurance to cover this Clerical error?

And Yes, both parties need to be giving a Goodwill Gesture (Dinner & a bottle of wine) for the stress this has caused.

Hope your son is ok and not sporting a cast!

"Manager from parent TA company said that the reservation that my card was charged on, was also charged the same amount. So they paid AND I paid the same amount on the same reservation. TA parent company tried to play it off as a clerical error, that TA had booked 2 cruises on the same day or something equally BS."If this was true, then the TA shouldn't have lied, and said it was a glitch in RCI's system, and told you to leave the money on "your" reservation, instead of getting it fixed in September!

We all know it is a BS answer, and I am sure that the Parent TA company knows it is BS, but doesn't want to tell you that.

As much as it is aggravating all of us, that you are going through this, I can't imagine how you and your husband feel!

I am glad that you finally heard from RCI and Parent company! It does sound like it truly will get fixed! Time for you to focus on packing and sunshine! :)

Also hope that your son is doing well!