Civitavecchia Cruise Port Transport and Entrances

richarduk

Hi.

I have not departed Civiavecchia in a long while. Last time we were there the port areas was in some sort of rebuild, so I have a few questions:

1) Has the old fort entrance reopened, enabling pedestrian access to the free ship shuttle buses from the fort side instead of having to walk all the way through the town? It was quite easy to walk to this from the train station before the works.

2) Are there any good value private car transfer companies that anyone can recommend to transfer from Rome hotels DIRECT TO THE SHIP, not the port entrance then having to use a shuttle bus?

Thanks for your assistance.

Richard.

The last time we were there (November 2016), we took the shuttle to the distant gate, but then we walked in to Civi for a few hours, and we did walk back around the fort and made our way back to the ship on foot. Some others from the roll call walked out and back, I think. They certainly were not "promoting" the route around the fort.

1. The port entrance has permanently moved to the new location, which is farther from the train station than the old entrance by the port. However, there is a local bus that goes back and forth between the train station and the "new" entrance for a minimal cost, you can buy the ticket right inside the Civitavecchia station.

2. Nearly all private transfers will take you into the port and drop you at your ship. On the Ports of Call boards there are several private companies that are frequently touted. I haven't used them so technically am not allowed to name them, but it's easy to find the info. I have, however, used a shared shuttle through Romashuttle. (As I travel solo, it's a less expensive option when I don't want to take the train.) You may share the shuttle with another party or two but the cost is less than the private transfers if you are a solo or couple.

1. The port entrance has permanently moved to the new location, which is farther from the train station than the old entrance by the port. However, there is a local bus that goes back and forth between the train station and the "new" entrance for a minimal cost, you can buy the ticket right inside the Civitavecchia station.

The port map that I have attached seems to suggest that you can enter at the old port entrance and catch a shuttle bus at a parking area just beside the fort to most ship docks i.e. 10-13?

We had a shared shuttle pick us up at our rental apartment address in Rome and take us directly to the ship terminal, not the port entrance. It was http://www.airportshuttle.it . We got it from our Rick Steve's book and they were super, about 90 euros for two of us to the ship. I booked it on line, just two nights prior right after we had walked the long walk in Termini train station and convinced ourselves that we really didn't want to do that with our luggage in tow, even with just one bag each. We were very lucky to get room on the shuttle at that late date but it all worked out very well. They picked us up at 9:30 and we were on the ship by 11:00. We had also used them from Rome airport to our rental apartment, so twice they served us very well. I would just recommend arranging for them a little earlier than we did, we were lucky, there were 4 others in the van with us going to a different ship. m--

The port map that I have attached seems to suggest that you can enter at the old port entrance and catch a shuttle bus at a parking area just beside the fort to most ship docks i.e. 10-13?

Can't seem to see your attachment, but this entrance at Fort Michelangelo has been discussed quite a bit on the Italy forum. A few people have said they were able to get a shuttle there, but more have said not. Taking the bus to the new shuttle point seems to be the preferred way. Whether the shuttles sometimes stop to take on/drop off passengers at the old fort is hit or miss and may be at the discretion of the driver.

Edited by cruisemom42
to correct formatting

I have used two of the transfer companies "touted" on the ports boards.

It is cheaper than a HAL transfer, especially if you can find another couple to share it with - then it is a bargain :)

It's well done and we were indeed dropped off right where the ship was. Painless, easy and enjoyable.

Our experiences were the driver enjoyed telling us what we were seeing and we had a great time.

We swear by Rome Cabs, we've been using them for ten to twelve years and will use them this spring. They drop-off and pick up shipside. Last year we got off a small ship and there were at least twenty private tour companies ship side waiting for their booked customers.

The port shuttle bus drops you off in a parking lot where the city bus comes. The bus line will be long if other ships are in port. You will see more tour companies in the parking lot looking for customers.

There are Cabs at the train station when you arrive by train, they take you shipside.