Travel Insurance Companies for cruising???

bazzaw

I also have a Westpac card underwritten by QBE. The only bit that concerns me was if I need to cancel due to my 86 and 90yr old parents becoming ill we wouldn't be covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricky one, reading ANZ/QBE policy book, not clear there. I suggest you ring QBE Customer Service. Good luck with it.

I applied for 'letter of eligibility' from QBE today, mainly for production to Embassy, Tour Operators, Hospital if required, hopefully not. The actual policy is the insurance policy information book, but a letter makes it a bit more official, that is all. Actually when in UK a couple of years ago, boarding P&O UK ship, had to produce evidence of insurance, as the Brits have to. I had the policy book from ANZ/QBE, ok with that.

• 2 weeks later...

For those considering the ANZ Black card that's been mentioned in this thread....

Well here's some big news from today - ANZ stops issuing AMEX cards - immediately

More details @ https://www.ausbt.com.au/anz-stops-issuing-american-express-credit-cards

So that means a big change to these cards and the generous AMEX points earn rate which will finish in August 2017

You'll still be able to get the travel insurance benefit - but spend will be on the Visa card after August - so a lower earn rate but still good insurance for those of us with pre existing conditions

Things are certainly getting interesting in the cards market with talk of Qantas using their own range of cards soon - with generous Qantas benenfits associated with them - no word of what insurance inclusions there will be - it's all rumours at the moment but I think where there's smoke there's fire in this case

Edited by Bodogbodog

For those considering the ANZ Black card that's been mentioned in this thread....

Well here's some big news from today - ANZ stops issuing AMEX cards - immediately

More details @ https://www.ausbt.com.au/anz-stops-issuing-american-express-credit-cards

So that means a big change to these cards and the generous AMEX points earn rate which will finish in August 2017

You'll still be able to get the travel insurance benefit - but spend will be on the Visa card after August - so a lower earn rate but still good insurance for those of us with pre existing conditions

Things are certainly getting interesting in the cards market with talk of Qantas using their own range of cards soon - with generous Qantas benenfits associated with them - no word of what insurance inclusions there will be - it's all rumours at the moment but I think where there's smoke there's fire in this case

Thank you for that info, I had a look at the ANZ site and yes, no more Amex available.

The Black Qantas FF Visa is still 1 point per $1 spent with a $7500 cap per month then .5 after that.

Amex was getting harder and harder to use, the fees were so great and not a lot of places take it.

We got value using it at Woolworths for groceries and petrol with no fee and using Woolworths Rewards linked to our Qantas memberships.

I will be interested in seeing what is available with the Qantas card.

Keep us posted if you find out anymore:)

When it comes to cruising 'domestic' cruising is exactly the same as international cruising, medically wise. It has nothing to do with 'international' or Australian waters, it has to do with the doctors onboard the ship. They are classed as 'international' doctors and as such are not registered with Medicare. You could be sitting on a ship in Sydney Harbour and you would still need travel insurance if you needed to be seen by the ship's international medical staff and wanted to put in a claim. The only difference of course is if you were to get off at an Australian port and go see a doctor - you would probably be able to claim a medicare rebate back then or claim on travel insurance . The other most important thing about travel insurance is the coverage it provides. It isn't worth a pinch of goat poo if you pay the cheapest premium and they won't pay out for a claim. You need to do research and work out what is the best bang for your money for your own personal requirements. There is no 'one fits all' answer.

I use a cc complimentary cover with Suncorp Bank - via Citibank & Alliance.

Have just checked with them & cruises are covered even domestic ones if the vessel is registered overseas.

My minor pre existing condition has to be notified - but there is no charge & I get an email confirmation of cover with travel dates, area & emergency phone numbers.

After ready all of the above, l just rechecked our Westpac Altitude Black, and within the policy document could not find the word cruise anywhere. I came across the word 'ferry', so l rang and sought clarification.

They provided written clarification that 'ferry' includes cruises!

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

We will still purchase private insurance, but my inlaws are over 70' and this seems there best option. We are sailing Sydney to San Francisco.

Sent from my iPad using Forums