Travel Insurance Companies for cruising???

bazzaw

We have used Travel Insurance Direct for the last few years. We buy an annual policy. We have asked a couple of questions by phone so they know that most of our trips are cruises and there has not been a problem mentioned.

Same, TID too. Rates are comparable and so far haven't claimed but all the reviews are good. Prior to that used Covermore also good.

I find it unlikely that you'd have to select specific countries for an annual policy.

That would negate much of the benefit for many. You'd need to know all your travel plans for the coming year, and not change them. So you'd buy an annual policy, then 6 months later decide to go somewhere else and have to buy a new policy again!

We do annual policies and all that we looked at required you to select coverage by zones working up to worldwide coverage. Obviously some zones are cheaper than others so you can save by not including them but you are right, change your mind and there is a cost to change your policy if it is allowed under the t&cs.

We just do worldwide as we usually do something to the US which means you may as well do worldwide as it will cost about the same......

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I find it unlikely that you'd have to select specific countries for an annual policy.

That would negate much of the benefit for many. You'd need to know all your travel plans for the coming year, and not change them. So you'd buy an annual policy, then 6 months later decide to go somewhere else and have to buy a new policy again!

Well done, you were correct. This from Insureandgo:

Please be informed thatwhen you buy an Annual Multi Trip policy you are covered to go away as manytimes as you want. Don't forget however that there is a maximum per tripduration, the length of which depends on the level of cover you have chosen:

Maximum trip length

• 30 days per trip (you have to be back on or before the 30th day of yourpolicy)

• 45 days per trip (you have to be back on or before the 45th day of yourpolicy)

• 60 days per trip (you have to be back on or before the 60th day of yourpolicy)

So you can travel as many times as you like in the year provided you returnfrom each trip within the selected duration bracket.

Note: Annual Multi trip Cover Cruises. However, Domestic Travel is notcovered on our multi trip policies.

Please be noted that the benefits offered under cruise policy and AMT policyare different.

I have just got an email back from INSURE AND GO - saying that their annual multi-trip policy does apply to cruises. We are doing two trips this year - a short 9 day cruise to the islands and a longer land trip in the UK. Total cost for those two as individual policies is similar to an annual multitrip price - so we would have to at least have a third trip to benefit financially - plus we would have to take out the most comprehensive policy available (Worldwide including the US) . I think I will just take out the single policies.

All of these insurance companies policies are extremely complex--- I notice with this company ( don't know about others) that if you make make a claim for lost/stolen goods or money, that you have to have documented proof of ownership!!! Personally I don't keep receipts of every item I ever buy and I don't know how once could "prove" moneys??? I guess this kind of thing is necessary because of the many people who make fraudulent claims.?

A word of warning for the annual cover with InsureandGo - any cruise to be covered must be purchased within the period of the annual policy term - so if you have paid a deposit on a cruise then that cruise wont be covered at all. I have been through this a number of times with them on the phone and they wont budge

Thanks for this info - I basically wondered about this (when a multitrip policy actually starts and finishes) - and can understand why they would insist on the policy being purchased before the first trip to be insured by it is "purchased" -Purchased meaning deposit taken - because I think that deposit moneys would also be covered in the event of something happening preventing the trip from being undertaken . I can understand this - and have to wonder if this applies to other insurance companies????

Thanks for this info - I basically wondered about this (when a multitrip policy actually starts and finishes) - and can understand why they would insist on the policy being purchased before the first trip to be insured by it is "purchased" -Purchased meaning deposit taken - because I think that deposit moneys would also be covered in the event of something happening preventing the trip from being undertaken . I can understand this - and have to wonder if this applies to other insurance companies????

Hmm I guess that would rule them out for say using a future cruise credit from Princess as that could be up to 2 years out then the cruise you book could be another 18 months out effectively making your deposit 3 1/2 years ago when you actually cruise :rolleyes:

I'm not exploring the insurance cover that comes with ANZ Black Frequent Flyer card - it looks pretty good - just got to test them out ad see if they cover my pre-existing conditions for an additional fee

Well that turned out very well - made an application to ANZ/QBE to provide the complimentary cover with my list of pre-existing conditions, which by the way every other insurance company, except InsureandGo, had declined to provide cover for in the past. I tried Cover More and TID but they flat out refused cover. Most recently I've used InsureandGo to provide cover for my most recent cruises

I heard back today and they offered cover for me with exactly the same pre-existing conditions covered if I pay an Admin Fee of $75 - I have promptly accepted it

So the policy for the same cover ie 30 days cruising with the US as primary destination, was quoted @ $1228.34 by InsureandGo with a $200 excess is going to cost me $75 with a $250 excess.

I am very happy with that - so a substantial saving which the annual credit card fee doesn't come close to costing

So I'm now a convert to using an appropriate included credit card cover - but as with anything you need to read the policy document to ensure that you are covered for the things that are important for you. In the case of the Premium ANZ cards the cover is detailed @ https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/.../pdf/premium-cards-insurances.pdf

For those who might be considering this as an option the credit card I have is the ANZ Frequent Flyer Black card, which is currently on offer with a bonus 75,000 Qantas points and all fees are waived for the first year. But you might want to check out other ANZ Premium cards as I understand they also come with the same insurance cover

Pushka - might be worth a look?

I can understand this - and have to wonder if this applies to other insurance companies????

I called NRMA travel insurance and they said that the cover for the annual multi trip starts the date the policy is taken out. They confirmed that even if a cruise deposit was paid earlier it would still be covered from policy date.

Edited by cruisine21

Well that turned out very well - made an application to ANZ/QBE to provide the complimentary cover with my list of pre-existing conditions, which by the way every other insurance company, except InsureandGo, had declined to provide cover for in the past. I tried Cover More and TID but they flat out refused cover. Most recently I've used InsureandGo to provide cover for my most recent cruises

I heard back today and they offered cover for me with exactly the same pre-existing conditions covered if I pay an Admin Fee of $75 - I have promptly accepted it

So the policy for the same cover ie 30 days cruising with the US as primary destination, was quoted @ $1228.34 by InsureandGo with a $200 excess is going to cost me $75 with a $250 excess.

I am very happy with that - so a substantial saving which the annual credit card fee doesn't come close to costing

So I'm now a convert to using an appropriate included credit card cover - but as with anything you need to read the policy document to ensure that you are covered for the things that are important for you. In the case of the Premium ANZ cards the cover is detailed @ https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/.../pdf/premium-cards-insurances.pdf

For those who might be considering this as an option the credit card I have is the ANZ Frequent Flyer Black card, which is currently on offer with a bonus 75,000 Qantas points and all fees are waived for the first year. But you might want to check out other ANZ Premium cards as I understand they also come with the same insurance cover

Indeed. I just got that card for the 75,000 bonus points too. Will certainly check it out as we 'share stuff' [emoji106]

Indeed. I just got that card for the 75,000 bonus points too. Will certainly check it out as we 'share stuff' [emoji106]

Great to hear, clearly great minds think alike - hard to go past when the first year is free and the Qantas points but the travel insurance is going to be the hidden gem and save me a fortune

Plus it has ApplePay for the VISA and AMEX - it's looking good

Now I've just got to get you across to Crystal ;)

That is great news!!

We don't pay the annual fee as we have a Breakfee investment package, and they have now included the Black card.

Dont forget to use your free pass to the Qantas Lounge, just call they will send you out the passes, they are not dated, but are to be used within a year. We used ours last November after a cruise when we had a 3 hour wait for our flight.

You also get unlimited access to other paid lounges around the world, such a great deal!!

When I travel, I want a printed copy of a personalised travel Policy (with my name on it ) and a Policy Number with relevant telephone numbers on it - something my wife can show at the hospital reception desk in the US after I have been run over by a New York Taxi.

Can/do you get this when using Credit Card insurance??? Just wondering.

When I travel, I want a printed copy of a personalised travel Policy (with my name on it ) and a Policy Number with relevant telephone numbers on it - Can/do you get this when using Credit Card insurance??? Just wondering.

You most certainly can with the ANZ/QBE included travel insurance - you can request it as per page 5 of the policy booklet I published a link to above

Specifically it says:

Letter of eligibility

A letter of eligibility sets out:

• the QBE / ANZ Premium Cards Insurances policy number

for the Travel Master Policy, the Transport Master Policy

or Rental Excess Master Policy (as applicable); and

• the eligibility criteria which you must have met at the time

of loss or damage if you seek to make a claim under a

particular cover.

If you would like a letter of eligibility, please contact QBE.

I would imagine other credit card insurers offer similar options

When I travel, I want a printed copy of a personalised travel Policy (with my name on it ) and a Policy Number with relevant telephone numbers on it - something my wife can show at the hospital reception desk in the US after I have been run over by a New York Taxi.

We used CC complimentary travel insurance for our last cruise in December and paid admin fee for pre-existing medical condition and was emailed the policy document with all our details on it including the accepted medical conditions.

Yes as others have said. I just looked up the Ins Cert for our recent trip - it is complimentary cc insurance with CBA and is thru Alliance . It has a policy number, activation date, countries visiting, start & end dates & listed both DW and my names as insured. It also lists a bunch of contact numbers from around the world for 24 hour emergency.

Hope you keep your eyes out for stray Taxis mate.

We have a TID annual multitrip policy as I need it for my work. My client insists that all consultants have one when travelling on their business.

We booked a cruise for September 2017 and as the policy expires in April 2017, I called TID to find out how things are covered. As long as I renew the policy by the due date (or take out a single trip policy for the cruise), the cruise is covered. So even though the cruise is past the annual renewal date, if something happened to stop us going on it (before the April end of policy), they would cover the costs. I asked if I could renew the policy early, but it can only be done within a month of expiry.

I also checked that cruises are covered in the multitrip policy and they are. Nothing specific is mentioned in the PDS (single or multi) but their website clearly states that they cover cruises with the single policy and that the annual policy covers everything that the single policy covers.

I've saved screen shots in case I ever get into an argument :)

I've heard the most significant thing that is different that needs to be covered for cruises is medical evacuation.

Like others have mentioned on here, we also travel with ANZ Platinum Card Travel Insurance, underwritten by QBE. The Policy Booklet which I have is the actual policy. I have made one claim on it in the 5 years we have used it and that was for excess on a m/v accident in UK, 2 years ago. They paid up in a week, no problem.

Read the book from cover to cover, persons over 80, not eligible. The cover has unlimited for cancellation and medical overseas, all we want. You just have to pay $200 towards the trip on your credit card. Once you do that, your insurance is activated. So once we pay a $200 cruise deposit or airfare, the policy is active.

I have read case histories of people claiming big time on credit card insurance, appears fine in most cases, like all insurance, exceptions and the odd battle.:cool:

Like others have mentioned on here, we also travel with ANZ Platinum Card Travel Insurance, underwritten by QBE. The Policy Booklet which I have is the actual policy. I have made one claim on it in the 5 years we have used it and that was for excess on a m/v accident in UK, 2 years ago. They paid up in a week, no problem.

Read the book from cover to cover, persons over 80, not eligible. The cover has unlimited for cancellation and medical overseas, all we want. You just have to pay $200 towards the trip on your credit card. Once you do that, your insurance is activated. So once we pay a $200 cruise deposit or airfare, the policy is active.

I have read case histories of people claiming big time on credit card insurance, appears fine in most cases, like all insurance, exceptions and the odd battle.:cool:

And this is fine unless you have pre existing medical issues. If my claim has nothing to do with these then I use the free credit card claim although last year when my issue presented for the first time (so not pre existing at that time) I used the credit card insurance for an Alaskan trip and was refunded everything.

Several people I know rely on the free credit card insurance for cruises. It would be interesting to hear if they had any claims paid.

I rely on my CC insurance and have clarified that cruising is covered, but only if stopping at an international port. My card is with ANZ and my parents have used their Commonwealth Platinum Card. They claimed their last cruise back with no problems due to a medical issue.

You most certainly can with the ANZ/QBE included travel insurance - you can request it as per page 5 of the policy booklet I published a link to above

Specifically it says:

Letter of eligibility

A letter of eligibility sets out:

• the QBE / ANZ Premium Cards Insurances policy number

for the Travel Master Policy, the Transport Master Policy

or Rental Excess Master Policy (as applicable); and

• the eligibility criteria which you must have met at the time

of loss or damage if you seek to make a claim under a

particular cover.

If you would like a letter of eligibility, please contact QBE.

I would imagine other credit card insurers offer similar options

Thanks for your informative post. I have a Westpac card, which is also underwritten by QBE. I send a email enquiry on Satuday and received the Letter of Eligibility the same day.