Travel Insurance Companies for cruising???

bazzaw

Just checked over the phone to our CC insurance - Altitude Platinum through Westpac - underwritten by QBE and it covers international cruises as long as paid for on cc....and also our pre- existing medical conditions....so we are very happy not to have to pay anything extra!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Insure and Go -- are looking good -- BUT!! I sent them an email yesterday, got back the usual auto-reply but have not heard from them since. tried to call them a couple of times - but sales line is as slow as trying to call Centrelink!! :( Their single trip policy details specifically says to take out their cruise policy if going on a cruise - but their multi-trip policy says nothing about cruises . So my unanswered (so far) question is - can I do a mix of cruise holidays and non-cruise holidays during the course of a year under their multi-policy.

Yes. Their annual multi-trip policy covers cruises. Hence you can do any mix of cruises or land holidays, as your budget allows - subject to their other limitations.

The next question I need answering for next year ( no hurry for this one) -- what policy would I need to cover three back to back international cruises with land packages before and after the three cruises???

Just regular trip insurance is fine, from departure date to return date, if that's all you're after.

The fact they're on cruises doesn't change that it's international travel; no different from taking a round the world airfare visiting multiple countries.

Just checked over the phone to our CC insurance - Altitude Platinum through Westpac - underwritten by QBE and it covers international cruises as long as paid for on cc....and also our pre- existing medical conditions....so we are very happy not to have to pay anything extra!

It's great to get a bonus from something you've already paid for. :D

It just comes down to their own individual customer service processes, and of course whether the policy covers the situations you believe it needs to cover.

I remember it was you BigM that bought it to my attention that ours may not cover domestic cruises.....and a read of the PDF confirmed that! in small writing, cruise has to stop at an international port!!!

Do you have to pay all the cruise with your CC for the cover to activate?

I know they are all different, with ANZ it is $250 minimum towards the holiday which could be the flights, hotel, deposit for the cruise, as long as it is the one holiday, although we usually pay everything on it to get the Qantas points:D

Ours was had to pay $500 but we had paid the whole thing anyway and will pay it off when statement comes in......as we're leaving from Melbourne, we've no flights, hotels etc to pay for.

Thats great!! Enjoy your cruise:)

I use Travelmore for all my trips. For an "Aus to Aus"cruise I choose "domestic cruise" policy, for everywhere else I choose "cruise" then the appropriate countries.

All insurance companies transact online - just go to their websites.

I shouldnt post when tired - "Travelmore" should say Covermore!!

I remember it was you BigM that bought it to my attention that ours may not cover domestic cruises.....and a read of the PDF confirmed that! in small writing, cruise has to stop at an international port!!!

Thanks - also said it earlier in this thread. :)

There are some that do though - but they are in the minority.

Is there any reason you believe it doesn't?

Yes. Because you need to specifically select the Cruise option when selecting the 'area' of travel for a single trip cover. Selecting just the region - e.g. Asia will not cover a cruise unless you selected Cruise cover initially. So the 'default' cover won't cover cruises.

I've sent an email and will post their reply. I would have purchased an annual cover but 'something' about that process made me think I wouldn't be covered.

Also when you do purchase a single trip policy with a Cruise the PDF is very different to the non Cruise policy which is what I purchased for a trip to Bali with no cruise.

Yes. Because you need to specifically select the Cruise option when selecting the 'area' of travel for a single trip cover. Selecting just the region - e.g. Asia will not cover a cruise unless you selected Cruise cover initially. So the 'default' cover won't cover cruises.

I've sent an email and will post their reply. I would have purchased an annual cover but 'something' about that process made me think I wouldn't be covered.

Also when you do purchase a single trip policy with a Cruise the PDF is very different to the non Cruise policy which is what I purchased for a trip to Bali with no cruise.

Agreed, I had a similar issue with Budget Direct, they said to get the cruise insurance and then add the countries. As doing it the other way around didn't allow to add the cruise.

Agreed, I had a similar issue with Budget Direct, they said to get the cruise insurance and then add the countries. As doing it the other way around didn't allow to add the cruise.

And which you can't do when selecting the annual policy. I'd be happy to be proven wrong when I get the email from them. Annual policies when travelling a lot are more convenient.

I actually have two policies on every trip. I need insureandgo to cover my preexisting health issues. Only one to do so. But we have an annual cover with TID as my partner is constantly travelling and has no preexisting. If something happens and it has nothing to do with preexisting then I'll claim on the policy with the best cover for that issue.

Thanks for the info. Saved me a phone call.;)

Interesting and varied information coming through re CC Complimentary Insurance. Some you only have to spend a nominated amount, while others, like our cover via Allianz, you have to pay the whole amount and are not covered until you have purchased the ticket. Some cover pre-existing medical conditions while others you have to pay an administration fee. Pays to look at the small print at all times and read the product information booklet from cover to cover, then talk to them.

We always rely on our Altitude Black credit card for overseas cruises, but they don't cover you for domestic Aussie ones. After a lot of research I took out a policy with RAC, for which I got a discount as a club member, as it specifically relates to Domestic Cruising whereas a lot don't. Coverage for domestic cruises can be a bit complicated as most domestic travel policies are really only designed for land travel and don't cover you for medical expenses as they assume you will be covered by Medicare, but you are not necessarily covered for that on cruises.

And which you can't do when selecting the annual policy. I'd be happy to be proven wrong when I get the email from them. Annual policies when travelling a lot are more convenient.

A word of warning for the annual cover with InsureandGo - any cruise to be covered must be purchased within the period of the annual policy term - so if you have paid a deposit on a cruise then that cruise wont be covered at all. I have been through this a number of times with them on the phone and they wont budge

My logic is that until the 100% refund date there is no risk for them - therefore as long as that date is within the period of cover it should be ok - but no they insist ANY payment for ANY activity to do with the trip must be paid within the period of cover

That put me off their annual policy so I now just take separate policies for each trip which requires you to only stipulate the period of the actual trip but still covers you for cancellations due to say medical issues

Silly rule from them - but its their call

I'm not exploring the insurance cover that comes with ANZ Black Frequent Flyer card - it looks pretty good - just got to test them out ad see if they cover my pre-existing conditions for an additional fee

That's because single trip cover is different from multi-trip.

For multi-trip you only have two options, not all the regions that apply with single trip. Obviously in a year, people are typically going to more areas, so they're not able to isolate to smaller regions - it wouldn't be of use to most customers.

If you read the policy wording for the annual policy you will see that it includes cruises. That's the be all and end all, not the selection parameters upfront.

I find it unlikely that you'd have to select specific countries for an annual policy.

That would negate much of the benefit for many. You'd need to know all your travel plans for the coming year, and not change them. So you'd buy an annual policy, then 6 months later decide to go somewhere else and have to buy a new policy again!

I find it unlikely that you'd have to select specific countries for an annual policy.

That would negate much of the benefit for many. You'd need to know all your travel plans for the coming year, and not change them. So you'd buy an annual policy, then 6 months later decide to go somewhere else and have to buy a new policy again!

My post was for single trips.

Thanks for the info. Saved me a phone call.;)

I would still maybe give them a call, especially with regards to pre-existing conditions.....not all conditions are automatically covered - tho you can get them covered for an additional fee - but some, like diabetes and hypertension specifically are automatically covered as long as you meet QBE specific criteria...

If it's just for cruise insurance then there's 4 criteria to meet.

Please still give them a call as I would hate you to not be covered as our individual circumstances will be different.

Enjoy your cruise..[emoji4]