1st time cruiser (Summit)

Kartingmom

Hi everyone...Not only are we newbiees but this is my first post...

We are looking at the Summit for our 1st cruise from San Juan Jan 20th

So many cabins to choose from..We would like a balcony cabin unobstructed, Which cabins and what deck should

we be looking at?

We will be buying a booze package and prepaying the gratuities, is there anything more we should be doing to make our 1st cruise a bit less stressful :cool:

Hi everyone...Not only are we newbiees but this is my first post...

We are looking at the Summit for our 1st cruise from San Juan Jan 20th

So many cabins to choose from..We would like a balcony cabin unobstructed, Which cabins and what deck should

we be looking at?

We will be buying a booze package and prepaying the gratuities, is there anything more we should be doing to make our 1st cruise a bit less stressful :cool:

There obstructed cabins are on six. Otherwise they are unobstructed. We have had one twice and had no issues with it. For the record, concierge cabins on Summit are slightly larger, on M class ships only. Either way look for the cabins on the diagonals of the humps , bumps on sides of the ship. Look at 6202 for example

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Humps and Bumps are areas of cabins that have angled balconies. Check out the ships deck plans and look for the areas near the central elevators. They are some of the most popular balcony cabins.

There are also cabins referred to as The Sweet Sixteen. They have larger balconies and are forward.

If you prefer some shade the Aqua class cabins on deck 9 aft of 9108 on the starboard side and corresponding location on the port side are under the Oceanview Cafe and quiet as opposed to the Concierge class cabins on deck 9 which are under the pool deck with reports of occasional noise. The Aqua class cabins on both the starboard and port side on deck 11 have varying sized balconies but are in some cases smaller than regular balconies elsewhere on the ship with little shade. The largest non-suite balconies are the Aqua class cabins aft on deck 11 and they are partially covered. 1140 has the largest balcony but the aft mast and flag pole can play havoc with the view.

There are very few obstructed view cabins on the M class ships. I think there are notations on the web site denoting obstructed view cabins so pay attention to the descriptions as you search for your preferred cabin.

There is a sticky that describes the cabin classes, balconies, and locations. That will give you the best cabins in each class.

Love the Summit! Have cruised her four or five times now, both out of San Juan and NJ. You've been given good advice on cabin selection, but I'll add the Concierge Cabins on M Class ships (like Summit) offer an additional 20 square feet over regular balcony cabins. For some that's no big deal and not worth the extra cost, but we like all the room we can get and that 20 square feet make a difference (plus you get more Captain's Club points). Also, to help ensure maximum quiet, try to choose a cabin with cabins both above and below you (i.e., no restaurants, theaters, pools, etc.). And San Juan is a good place to visit, so I would suggest arriving at least a day early to enjoy the town (Old San Juan is a favorite) and get a really relaxing start on your cruise. And regardless of what cabin you choose, you're going to love that ship!

If you want a balcony room on the Summit, get a Sweet 16!! They are on deck 6 and are the first 16 cabins, 8 on each side forward. They have double deep balcony's and they are the lower price of the 2C category. We've had them twice. You won't be disappointed!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh my!!! Thanks so much for all the help...I have been hearing alot about these Sweet 16 cabins, However is there a lot of motion in the cabin seeing its in the front of the ship? Trying to make sure we have a good trip and i was reading on here that we should get mid ship and like deck 7 or 8 cause they will be mostly quiet as they are in between the cabins..Man there is so much information lol...Just looking for a regular balcony cabin...

Edited by Kartingmom

If the deck above or below the deck/stateroom that you are considering is all staterooms then no worries about potential noise. However, if deck above is -for example- the pool...you could hear deck chairs being moved around in the evening, early morning or during the day. You can go to Cruisedeckplans.com and select the line/ship you are sailing. Once you select the ship, there is a link at the top of the chart to DRAG deck plans....We use this to see what is above or below the stateroom we are considering.

Humps/bumps....this is where the ship "bumps" out from a straight line...typically, the center of ship. Those staterooms have larger balconies that are often angled on the ends to go along with the curvature o the ship.

Oh my!!! Thanks so much for all the help...I have been hearing alot about these Sweet 16 cabins, However is there a lot of motion in the cabin seeing its in the front of the ship? Trying to make sure we have a good trip and i was reading on here that we should get mid ship and like deck 7 or 8 cause they will be mostly quiet as they are in between the cabins..Man there is so much information lol...Just looking for a regular balcony cabin...

Hello and welcome! All great advice but if you are worried about getting motion sickness stay away from the front of the ship. I made that mistake a couple times just in case the first time was just a fluke. Try to be as center of the ship as possible between the front and back/top to bottom. I love the itinerary for that cruise. Best thing to remember is to just relax and enjoy!! :D

Thanks everyone...here is what i am thinking and please let me know if i am correct...As will be speaking to my travel agent this week about this cruise and i want to be as well informed as possible...

Prepaid Gratuities

Booze package

For the stateroom i am thinking (mid ship deck 8)? Just to avoid the motion sickness

(if Anyone can suggest a cabin # that would be great)

Thanks again so much for all the help i cant say how much we appropriate it...We are very green to this....I done many resort trips and very comfortable with those type, This is a bucket thing for us...And i have finally talked my husband into it...lol

Thanks everyone...here is what i am thinking and please let me know if i am correct...As will be speaking to my travel agent this week about this cruise and i want to be as well informed as possible...

Prepaid Gratuities

Booze package

For the stateroom i am thinking (mid ship deck 8)? Just to avoid the motion sickness

(if Anyone can suggest a cabin # that would be great)

Thanks again so much for all the help i cant say how much we appropriate it...We are very green to this....I done many resort trips and very comfortable with those type, This is a bucket thing for us...And i have finally talked my husband into it...lol

Sounds perfect!

Kartingmom -

All good advice. If you are worried about sea sickness, make sure you plan ahead. I'm so susceptible that I just about get sea sick in the bathtub! Anyway, I use the scopolamine patch on every cruise. It works for me, but others have side effects (the only one I notice is dry eyes in the beginning). Others use seabands and some use OTC remedies.

We love the Summit and her sister ship the Millennium! The first time, we stayed in the aft-facing cabins (Sunset Veranda cabins). Great views and no wind as we sail away. Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time!

One other piece of advice that hasn't been mentioned yet. Try to be close to an elevator so you don't have long hallway walks. I'd look at the 2-B cabins by the aft elevators on deck 8 or if you want to be more midship, look at the 2-As on deck 7. I would also avoid a connecting cabin, as noise travels between the cabins via the connecting door.

Stay away from the Sweet 16s if you're at all concerned about motion sickness.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Hi Kartingmom and welcome to CC! We were on Summit this past October to Canada and New England. We LOVE the aft cabins (can be either concierge or sunset depending on deck and what you want)....if you like to spend lots of time sitting on your balcony, the aft cabin balconies are much larger than the usual balcony cabin. For instance we had two lounge chairs with foot rests and a small table, and a table and 4 chairs that we could have eaten at if it wasn't so cold!

IMHO unless you really like to party, I would skip the beverage package and pay as you go for drinks...but we don't drink more than a glass or 2 of wine and for us to break even on the package we'd have to be drunk as skunks all of the time:p

I have checked 3 cruises for this Fall on the Celebrity Web Site. (October-December)

It looks like all of the Summit cruises include free Beverage package for 2, and free gratuities.

Your travel agent should give you a little on board credit.

Happy Cruising...you will LOVE the Summit!

I have checked 3 cruises for this Fall on the Celebrity Web Site. (October-December)

It looks like all of the Summit cruises include free Beverage package for 2, and free gratuities.

Your travel agent should give you a little on board credit.Happy Cruising...you will LOVE the Summit!

You will LOVE the Summit, I agree....just large enough to have plenty of space and small enough to get to know people. Of course if beverage package is free then you must take it...the full package also includes fresh juice and specialty coffees. As for not being available in 2018..that could just be now....stay on it and keep checking, if you find the price drops or the perks get better notify your TA ASAP and IME Celebrity will give upgrade your reservation.

Thanks so much to all that have replied to this thread...I cant believe how much i have to learn...lol Just to add to the promo thing i was talking about earlier...the cruise that we are looking at is under the promo link but does not have the green tag attached to it :mad::mad:

It was very misleading ...However i love this itinerary and will be keeping my eye on it...

Thanks for all the replies i really do appreciate it...

• 1 month later...

Welcome! For the promos and the drinks. IF you are getting the classic package for free I would suggest spending the money and upgrade to the premium. Its about $70 pp for a week long cruise. Even if you don't drink much, the specialty coffees and the bottles of water pay for itself ten fold. If you are not getting the package, then you may want to see what you'll spend money on for drinks to see if its worth it.

Thanks so much to all that have replied to this thread...I cant believe how much i have to learn...lol Just to add to the promo thing i was talking about earlier...the cruise that we are looking at is under the promo link but does not have the green tag attached to it :mad::mad:

It was very misleading ...However i love this itinerary and will be keeping my eye on it...

Thanks for all the replies i really do appreciate it...