Liquor store beyond security Checkpoint at Barcelona Cruise Port

gatour

Several years ago we took a Princess cruise, where you went through security first and they would confiscate alcoholic beverages. However past this point there was a sundry store that also sold alcoholic beverages. You were free to board the ship as the cruiseline weren't doing their own separate screening. Anyone have any recent experience in regards to this.

Several years ago we took a Princess cruise, where you went through security first and they would confiscate alcoholic beverages. However past this point there was a sundry store that also sold alcoholic beverages. You were free to board the ship as the cruiseline weren't doing their own separate screening. Anyone have any recent experience in regards to this.

We saw the same store last October, located after security ahd check-in, but right before you go up to the ship.

Thanks everyone,

RCCL allows people to bring two bottles on-board through security. It sounds like NCL now has an additional checkpoint just before the ship. I am guessing RCCL may have the same, I will check on the RCCL boards.

We were on the Royal Princess in August last year - went through security and then went to the liquor store and purchased several bottles of wine - there is a small selection but the prices were good. Took them right onboard.

eclue:cool:

Thanks everyone,

RCCL allows people to bring two bottles on-board through security. It sounds like NCL now has an additional checkpoint just before the ship. I am guessing RCCL may have the same, I will check on the RCCL boards.

There are shops in each of the terminals. The choice is limited but it;s a good option if you don't have the opportunity to buy wine elsewhere before you board. Look out for their specials (buy one get one free).

We have sailed from Barcelona many times - and usually on RCL. I would say that 3 times they had the x-ray machine on the ship as well. The last couple of times (last year) they had no machines on the ship. One time my husband and son boarded before I did (as I was lingering in the shops) and there was no machine when they got onboard but by the time I boarded -10 minutes later - that had it up and running.

In other words there's no definitive answer ;)

These days there is a security check to enter most cruise terminals. They are looking for guns and bombs, they don't care about alcohol. The ship can always choose to screen passengers again when they board the ship. But they are also aware that it annoys people to have to go through security twice to embark, so I think most ships do this sparingly and selectively (and the same goes for ports of call during the cruise). The screening by the ship can be anything from a full inspection with x-ray machine and metal detector, or a guy who asks to look in large bags, or just a table with a sign saying please hand over your alcohol here. Many times we have seen the x-ray machine set up, but they just wave people through (as Bobal mentioned, the procedures can change from one minute to the next, because they want to keep you guessing, and make you think twice about trying to bring stuff on at the next port).

Or there may be no additional screening whatsoever when you board the ship. Except that technically the cruise line's rules still apply and you have agreed to them, so you are still supposed to give yourself up, even if you are not forced or invited to do so (but guess how many people do that…)

• 1 month later...
There are shops in each of the terminals. The choice is limited but it;s a good option if you don't have the opportunity to buy wine elsewhere before you board. Look out for their specials (buy one get one free).

We have sailed from Barcelona many times - and usually on RCL. I would say that 3 times they had the x-ray machine on the ship as well. The last couple of times (last year) they had no machines on the ship. One time my husband and son boarded before I did (as I was lingering in the shops) and there was no machine when they got onboard but by the time I boarded -10 minutes later - that had it up and running.

In other words there's no definitive answer ;)

Good Advice.. I'm thinking of buying my '2 allow bottles' at the Barcelona Terminal as well as some mixer. Is that available?