Express Boarding Pass

cruise1814

Celebrity had to fix something on my Express Pass boarding document. When I went to print it out, it wouldn't. One reason may have been because it is too close to departure but even when I tried to "reprint" the document, the only thing that would print is portions of the cruise history, random codes and general information. My On Board expense account and signature line is not on this paper. When I called Celebrity they told me I did not need my boarding pass. QUESTION: I've been on 100's of cruises and the security people always ask for the boarding pass and passport before you get through security. Has anyone had a similar experience? I know it will take longer at check in. That's not my concern. I have never tried to enter the terminal without my boarding pass however and, even though Celebrity said it would be fine, I am asking CC members who probably have more in person experience. Thanks for any input.

You can handle what you need to handle at check-in, and it doesn't really take that much longer. Have your passport with you and take a copy of your other cruise documents just in case you run across a security guard who wants to see something. I've gotten through before without anything but my passport.

Security will look for some documentation showing you have business there at the port entrance and/or entrance to the check-in terminal in addition to wanting to see your photo ID (passport or DL). At the Celebrity terminal they ask for the express pass but it is not a necessity. They'll accept any travel confirmation, such as a confirm or invoice from your travel agent or Celebrity, or a similar document. If you don't have that either you can get in with just your ID but it might take longer as they'll need to call someone over with a passenger manifest.

Bottom line is that if you can print out the express pass it is preferable to other documents and will speed things up a couple minutes but it isn't anything serious if you don't have it.

I once booked a cruise at the very last minute (two or three days before sailing) and the Celebrity rep on the phone told me that as she wasn't sure if I'd still be able to do online check in or print the express pass.

Which port?

Our past experiences in Miami were that you can enter the port with no hassle, you are first asked for I.d. At the terminal building.

Ft. Lauderdale, however, has a guard at the port entrance you must first convince to allow you to drive in.

Whether or not you need to show any kind of documentation to enter the port area varies from port to port.

At some ports you can drive or walk right up to the ship without showing any kind of documentation at all. At the other extreme, some ports have very tight security.

It can also vary depending on the security level in effect at that particular time.

If you have your passport and a copy of your Celebrity invoice, that should be all you need to get through port security.

At worst, they may ask you to wait a minute while they call to confirm that you really are booked on the ship before letting you through.

Take the booking confirmation form (I always get this from my travel agent. If you self-book I'm not sure how you get one from Celebrity).

When you self-book a cruise online, it automatically generates an invoice and emails it to you. So you can look the invoice over to check that everything is correct before you even log out of your Celebrity account.

It also automatically sends you an updated invoice whenever you make changes or payments online.