Problem with NCL refund with insurance

seminole95

Hi all. I know there are people on this board that have had experience with NCL corporate.

I purchased platinum insurance and had to cancel day of cruise for medical reason. Aon affinity reimbursed me for cruise fare only.

NCL was supposed to reimburse port charges, taxes and gratuity as well as 2 cruise next certificates. Never happened. Called and spoke with a Patricia in refunds/accounting who was a horror. She refused to pass me on to a supervisor. She should not be in any customer facing role.

Called back and spoke with a supervisor in reservations who was nice but did not solve my issue. She said they will refund credit card for port charges and gratuity but because of penalties I would not get my cruise next certs back. Help!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I looked through the Terms and Conditions. This may be what they are talking about:

10. To cancel a reservation made with a CruiseNext Deposit, submit your request in accordance with Norwegian Cruise Line cancellation policies and procedures. The CruiseNext Deposit will be re-issued minus any cancellation fees, and will retain its original expiration date. If you cancel a reservation made with a CruiseNext Deposit after its expiration date, it will be forfeited. Once a CruiseNext Deposit is applied to a reservation, it is subject to the same cancellation policy, rules and regulations as any other deposit.

https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext

As Colin's quote indicates, you lose your CruiseNext deposits along with the rest of your cruise fare if you cancel at the last minute. Your insurance should cover all non-refundable cruise payments, so you should take it up with them.

The only thing you should expect back from NCL is port fees and taxes, plus any prepaid excursions or gratuities. Your cruise next certificates are gone because you owed NCL a 100% penalty. Whatever you get back is between you and your insurance company.

I'm confused. If the cruise fare was $1000, And you used a $250 cruise next certificate, did the insurance company refund you $1000 or $750? If they refunded $1000, why would you be out the $250 still? If they refunded $750... it sounds like they should have refunded you the full $1000 since the deposit would have been forfeited along with the rest of your fare.

This is NCL's insurance provider, so I'm sure they know about CruiseNext deposits, and I suspect they are just making you jump through hoops. Because some people won't notice or won't bother and they save $250 in pay-outs each time.

Well. This will certainly keep me from buying any cruise next certificates. You pay for insurance to cover your loss if necessary. Just because you spent the money in advance for the vacation should not have an effect on the insurance policy. You still spent the money after all and should be entitled to reimbursement.

Hi all. I know there are people on this board that have had experience with NCL corporate.

I purchased platinum insurance and had to cancel day of cruise for medical reason. Aon affinity reimbursed me for cruise fare only.

NCL was supposed to reimburse port charges, taxes and gratuity as well as 2 cruise next certificates. Never happened. Called and spoke with a Patricia in refunds/accounting who was a horror. She refused to pass me on to a supervisor. She should not be in any customer facing role.

Called back and spoke with a supervisor in reservations who was nice but did not solve my issue. She said they will refund credit card for port charges and gratuity but because of penalties I would not get my cruise next certs back. Help!!!!

Your insurance should cover all NON-REFUNDABLE costs - those things that NCL will not reimburse you for.

Your cruise next certificate value is PART of your cruise costs. Did they or did they not refund the full value of your cruise? You said you were reimbursed by insurance for your cruise fare.

It almost sounds like you want your certificates back even though you were already reimbursed for your actual cruise fare - which included the certificates.

Well. This will certainly keep me from buying any cruise next certificates. You pay for insurance to cover your loss if necessary. Just because you spent the money in advance for the vacation should not have an effect on the insurance policy. You still spent the money after all and should be entitled to reimbursement.

That was a lesson learned. I'm still going to try to fight it.

Your insurance should cover all NON-REFUNDABLE costs - those things that NCL will not reimburse you for.

Your cruise next certificate value is PART of your cruise costs. Did they or did they not refund the full value of your cruise? You said you were reimbursed by insurance for your cruise fare.

It almost sounds like you want your certificates back even though you were already reimbursed for your actual cruise fare - which included the certificates.

I think that I should be refunded everything short of the $139 (the cost of insurance) which is what I was originally told.

I think that I should be refunded everything short of the $139 (the cost of insurance) which is what I was originally told.

You said you were refunded your cruise fare by the insurance company. Did they NOT refund your actual cruise fare?

Many of the other charges will be refunded by NCL (port charges, pre-paid gratuities, etc)

Do you expect to get the cruise fare refunded AND get your cruise next certificates back as well? You are already getting the value of your certificates back when your cruise fare is refunded. And to remind you - your certificates were worth $500, but you already got $250 back in OBC when you bought them. So if you were reimbursed your actual cruise fare, you are still ahead of the game.

If this is not correct, perhaps you need to clarify. If you were refunded your cruise fare, you were reimbursed for your certificates.

Yes. You should be. All that should matter for the refund is the non-refundable cruise cost and any refundable expenses. Your deposit certificate doesn't subtract from your non-refundable cost. That is part of your refundable cost. It sounds like you need to escalate this with the insurance company - but NCL doesn't owe you the certificates back. You are simply owed the full cost of the cruise including the $500 worth of certificates used (all via the insurance)

Yes. You should be. All that should matter for the refund is the non-refundable cruise cost and any refundable expenses. Your deposit certificate doesn't subtract from your non-refundable cost. That is part of your refundable cost. It sounds like you need to escalate this with the insurance company - but NCL doesn't owe you the certificates back. You are simply owed the full cost of the cruise including the $500 worth of certificates used (all via the insurance)

They said they were already refunded their cruise fare by the insurance company. If that statement was accurate, it means they have already been reimbursed for the certificates.

It appears that they expected to get their cruise next certificates back IN ADDITION to being compensated for the value.

They said they were already refunded their cruise fare by the insurance company. If that statement was accurate, it means they have already been reimbursed for the certificates.

It appears that they expected to get their cruise next certificates back IN ADDITION to being compensated for the value.

Eh, OP hasn't been clear on that point. If they were refunded the full value of their cruise then this thread doesn't make any sense; including their follow up posts that they won't get the cruise next certificates. I'm thinking that what happened is they submitted the cruise for compensation and were only reimbursed the out of pocket amount they had, not including the value of the certificates... that would be wrong.

Ok guys. Finally got my credit back from NCL and I have now received everything back minus the $139 for the cost of the insurance. Never thought NCL would be the problem here but they were by far more difficult than Aon Affinity. Thanks for help

As convenient as it sounds to book everything online, we still always go to a travel agent, AAA in this case. Though we didn't buy the cancellation insurance, it sounded like AAA's insurance would reimburse everything. The catch? You have to buy the cancellation insurance when you book your trip; you can't go back and purchase it due to a preexisting condition, such as your back pain flaring up yet again.

We've found that booking through a travel agency and buying their products (usually much cheaper than the cruise line's) saves a lot of headaches. Sorry you had those problems.

Ok guys. Finally got my credit back from NCL and I have now received everything back minus the $139 for the cost of the insurance.
Do you mean they reinstated your CruiseNext deposits to your NCL account, or they refunded you $500 (or $250)?