My Time Dining: Strategy for reservations? (1st cruise)

My family of 4 is sailing on Allure next month, and we have MTD. I booked a couple of nights, first night in MDR and last night at Chops, a couple of weeks ago. A couple of days ago I went to book our times in MDR for 4 other nights, and no times before 8:45 were offered as available. Honestly, that is pretty late for dinner (IMO) and I'd like to be able to change to an earlier time if possible. From other replies it looks like we may be able to change to an earlier time once onboard, am I correct? Does the fact that we have reservations already, albeit at 8:45, allow us to go stand in line at, say, 7:30pm instead? Thanks.

Yes, you can try to change reservations on board, and you can also show up early if you like. They may or may not be able to accommodate you if you show up early.

Stand in the prebooked time queue.You should wait no more than 10 minutes.

Ask for a table for 2 and you might wait a couple more minutes but you will get it.Normally they would seat you with other people next to you in the queue unless you specifically ask for a table for 2.

43 cruises and counting.

I was making the reservations because there are 9 of us travelling together, including my mother in law who is in a wheelchair, and she is NOT patient!! Evidently, traditional dining is already full for our sailing (thanksgiving week) - so I made the reservations for the same time every night - hoping it will be "kinda" like traditional dining for her! Thank you!!

I was making the reservations because there are 9 of us travelling together, including my mother in law who is in a wheelchair, and she is NOT patient!! Evidently, traditional dining is already full for our sailing (thanksgiving week) - so I made the reservations for the same time every night - hoping it will be "kinda" like traditional dining for her! Thank you!!

It might pay during the day to speak to the restaurant manager and tell him there are 9 of you so they are ready and expecting you.

43 cruises and counting.

After the nonsense on the Indy (First time on Royal and didn't know you could reserve online....people had booked early on in the day and online and they only had 5.30 and 8.30 onwards) we booked as soon as we could online.

Cruise is in late August and by the start of this Month we could only book 5.30-6.30 and 8.00-9.30. All the 6.45-7.45 slots had already gone.

We booked 6.30 every night just in case.

I would do the same.

When do the times usually come out. I am on the harmony beginning of June and I still do not have times up

Unfortunatley, there's no "usually" with Royal on reservations becoming available. Keep checking your Cruise Planner.

I just looked on the cruise planner for our cruise on Allure in April 2018 and MTD was available to reserve. Unfortunately, the times were very early (5:30 - 6:00) or very late (8:00 and later) I was hoping for 6:30. I did reserve the First Night Done Right (can't beat $15 pp) and will keep checking for the other nights, hoping a better time comes up. I was surprised to see times open this far out when some are saying they can't book times for cruises this summer.

We always show up at 5:45-6 and walk right in when it opens so I guess it's fine I don't pick a time. I want first night done right but I can't because it's open for 6:30 and I have an 8:30 show. So stupid but I even called and I will have to cancel my show which is only one that works for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am on Harmony in Sept and I have tried more than once to book on the cruise planner section of the website. Does anyone know if since I used a travel agent, that it won't let me? Or should i still be able to? I keep getting the message that i have to do it on the ship.

thank you!

I am on Harmony in Sept and I have tried more than once to book on the cruise planner section of the website. Does anyone know if since I used a travel agent, that it won't let me? Or should i still be able to? I keep getting the message that i have to do it on the ship.

thank you!

Being booked with a travel agent makes no difference. Probably too early to book, keep checking the Cruise Planner.

Being booked with a travel agent makes no difference. Probably too early to book, keep checking the Cruise Planner.

Its usually around the 10-12 week mark when i book our times on the cruise planner for MTD.

43 cruises and counting.

hi can i ask a few questions please first time with RCI -

i have traditional dining booked for 06.30 i choose early as i have 10 yr old, however I prefer to sit on our own just the 3 of us, is this possible with traditional dining. I do not want to have to share a table, ( i'm just odd ) :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

also how much additional is it to eat in the specialty restaurants per person euro.??

And i see some people mention they have booked shows on their cruise planner etc etc can i do this and is this additional cost?? Or if we dont have these booked does this mean that we dont get to see any shows ?? sorry for all the questions only cruised once before with Thompson and never had to book anything in advance you just went to what ever show you wanted to go to on the night as the same with the main restaurant.

hi can i ask a few questions please first time with RCI -

i have traditional dining booked for 06.30 i choose early as i have 10 yr old, however I prefer to sit on our own just the 3 of us, is this possible with traditional dining. I do not want to have to share a table, ( i'm just odd ) :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

also how much additional is it to eat in the specialty restaurants per person euro.??

And i see some people mention they have booked shows on their cruise planner etc etc can i do this and is this additional cost?? Or if we dont have these booked does this mean that we dont get to see any shows ?? sorry for all the questions only cruised once before with Thompson and never had to book anything in advance you just went to what ever show you wanted to go to on the night as the same with the main restaurant.

If you want a table for just your party, I'd send a request to rcldining@rccl.com asking for a table for 4.

There is no cost for shows. If you are on Oasis or Quantum class, you have the opportunity to reserve show pre-cruise, also no charge. Other ships have no pre-cruise reservations for shows, they are first come, first served.

If you want a table for just your party, I'd send a request to rcldining@rccl.com asking for a table for 4.

There is no cost for shows. If you are on Oasis or Quantum class, you have the opportunity to reserve show pre-cruise, also no charge. Other ships have no pre-cruise reservations for shows, they are first come, first served.

thank you for your reply i should have said im on the Freedom, so these can not be booked in advance, so we can just show up on the night.

thank you for your reply i should have said im on the Freedom, so these can not be booked in advance, so we can just show up on the night.

Correct. The only show that might have "tickets" is the ice show, and you will be notified on board if that is the case. Nothing to do pre-cruise with regard to shows on Freedom.

First time cruisers, on Allure in late May with our 7 year old. We picked My Time Dining. What strategy should we use to make reservations? We have shows booked so we can set reservations around them. We don't eat red meat at all. Just look through descriptions and pick? Any can't miss or stay away from? Not sure where to start. Thanks!

Hi Cruiser. We always make reservations just around time for second seating to work with the shows we want. usually 800 or 815 depending on ship. If we change our mine or go to coastal or specialty I just pick up cabin phone day of reservation and cancel that night. That way I always have a standing reservation. I see you have a youngster so you will probably want a early time but same will apply if you coordinate times with shows etc.Bob & Nancy Celebrating our 58,59 and 60th cruise this fall.

Hi Cruiser. We always make reservations just around time for second seating to work with the shows we want. usually 800 or 815 depending on ship. If we change our mine or go to coastal or specialty I just pick up cabin phone day of reservation and cancel that night. That way I always have a standing reservation. I see you have a youngster so you will probably want a early time but same will apply if you coordinate times with shows etc.Bob & Nancy Celebrating our 58,59 and 60th cruise this fall.

We like to have a few snacks in tje Diamond lounge so we book MTD for 8.45 when it is getting quieter.

43 cruises and counting.