Can you make palatable tea with in-room coffemakers?

mamasylvia

Neither DH nor I are coffee drinkers. I know using a traditional Mr. Coffee-type coffeemaker to make hot water for tea produces undrinkable (to me) tea, but I'm wondering if the pod coffeemakers are different. Would I need to bring along one of those reusable pod thingies to fool the coffeemaker into thinking it's safe to send hot water through?

We had the pod coffee makers on the Epic and my wife would run a cup or two of water through, discard it, and then run the another cup through for her tea. She said it was barely palatable but much better than trying to get tea from the Mr. Coffee type of makers. She considered that as undrinkable.

Neither DH nor I are coffee drinkers. I know using a traditional Mr. Coffee-type coffeemaker to make hot water for tea produces undrinkable (to me) tea, but I'm wondering if the pod coffeemakers are different. Would I need to bring along one of those reusable pod thingies to fool the coffeemaker into thinking it's safe to send hot water through?

Hubby is a tea drinker and will not drink it through one of those after coffee was made. He either orders room service or goes to the buffet.

...How about going old school with an immersion water heater

Just don't use a paper cup! ...

Hmmm, those are considered open heating element and definitely banned, truly a fire safety hazard. Not to mention that it will easily burnout the coil and can cause a deadly electrical shock when improperly used. Leave that alone for the road trip, IMHO.

Most ceramic 8 or 10 oz. cup would fit nicely for those single-cup hot water maker with the slide out tray for the flat pod filter. You need to run cold water to flush it out 5 time or more (10X said some folks) to get any lingering coffee odor out & wash that filter tray with soapy water in the kitchen sink. No need to run vinegar thru.

We used it to broil hot water for our ginseng tea in a bag and works fine. Pack & bring your own tea along, otherwise, a (free) selection of English tea bags should be in the buffet and O'Sheehan's (DIY help).

It would be one more thing to find room for in my suitcase ;) I expect I'll just order from room service in the morning, tea and hot chocolate are included as well as coffee.

Hubby always was fine with the tea from room service, ( he drinks it all day long) but the coffee is undrinkable. And that is all ships.

Don't bring an electric kettle. Ours, a tiny 250v veteran of many cruises, was confiscated recently on the Breakaway- I kept the pre printed form letter which mentions a fire hazard. HD Mario asked us to please bring things to their attention on board before taking pen to paper - the explanation at the front desk was they were blowing circuit breakers in staterooms. They need to update the what not to bring FAQ on the website which calls out irons and steamers.

You can take out the plastic filter cup on the Hamilton Beach Commercial HDC-200S-CE coffee maker unit - it splashes a bit but the coffee oil taste is gone. The water is still luke warm. Your best bet might be O'Sheehan's - which is open long hours. Maybe they can issue approved boilers aboard if you sign a liability release form.

Returned on March 4, 2017 from the Epic. I heated and discarded plain water 3 times through the in room coffee maker then used it to heat water for tea. It was not too bad. I bring my own tea bags. Once in the main dining room (Taste) I asked for black tea and the server brought me PG Tips tea bags. It was the best tea that I have ever had on a cruise ship. I would ask for it each time in the dining room. I would get extra tea bags to take with me to the buffet because they did not have PG Tips at the buffet. They had either Lipton or Tetley or flavored teas which I do not like.

I also bring my own thermal mug for tea because the tea cools off too quickly in the cups in the room