Vista March 5th-11th

Briitini

We are just off the Vista and we had a great time! We are in our early 30s and go on 2 cruises a year with Carnival. This time we were sailing with 3 other couples who we met 2 years ago on the Victory. We live in Fort Lauderdale and all other couples live in other states.

We were excited to book this cruise over a year out and were able to get a great deal on a Havana extended balcony (more about that experience below).

Transportation and Embarkation:

We left our house in Margate at 10:00am. We were picked up by Larry's Limo and they sent a stretch SUV limo for 6 of us. The luggage barely fit! Lol, but our driver was a pro and stuck everything in! The ride ended up being just over $20 per person with tip included. Highly recommend Larry's Limo!!!!

We were at POM and checked in right before 11am. 2 of our friends decided to go to South Beach for a couple days before the vacation and met us at the port. They had selected a 11am check in time and were let in before 11am! They received a boarding zone 5. As we were arriving to the port they texted us that they were moved up to number 1! We told them to hold on as we were going through security.

We were on board at at Pig and Anchor BBQ by 11:30am. This was the smoothest embarkation... ever!!!!

Food:

At embarkation we ate at pig and anchor. It was really good! However, we tried it on the last sea day and it was not the quality we had before. There was a long wait for macaroni and cheese and the meat they gave some of the group was big huge chunks of fat.

Dining room: we ate here 3 nights. The first night was a disaster. It took OVER 2.5 hours to eat at late dining. We had one main server and didn't really see him have any help!!! I do not recall an assistant waiter. This would get a little better the other 2 meals.

JIJI Asian:

Worst experience ever on a cruise. 27 minutes into the "meal" they still hadn't brought our drinks. They started bringing apps out and tried to serve me something I didn't order (and I told them twice I didn't order that). We finally made the decision to leave after we complained about no drinks and making the statement we have. Even here for almost 30 minutes and the manager said, sir you haven't even been here 20 minutes. At that point we got up and left and the manager chased us to the elevator apologizing. She would then later track us down at our dining room and bought the table a bottle of wine. Sorry, but very poor experience.

Cucina del Capitano:

Very good food.. took awhile to eat. I think this is starting to be the trend on this ship. The waitress was a little "testy", but calmed down.

Seafood Shack:

Long long long wait to even order because they were cooking other orders. The lobster rolls and fresh cut fries were amazing. The fried seafood platter at $10 was a great deal.

Steakhouse:

I didn't eat here, but others in the group did and said it was phenomenal. The cheesecake was to die for!!! Sooooo good. A lot of these places would say they have no reservations available over the phone, but we were able to walk up and make one.

Buffet:

We hate buffets and I had cheese cubes and 2 cupcakes. Others in the group had salads, but that's about it. Mediocre at best!

Guys:

We have a few vegetarians in the group and they RAVED about their veggie burgers. These burgers take an additional 10-15 minutes to cook.

Blue Iguana Cantina:

One of my favorite items on the ship is their tacos. The taco line is always so short and the burrito line is super long. I love the fresh toppings.

Red Frog Pub:

Some of my favorite food on the entire ship (I know). I am addicted and obsessed with the grouper fingers!!!!!!! So worth the 3.33. I tried the sliders for the first time and they were amazing. We tipped cash to our bar runner heavily in this area and never had issues getting drinks asap.

Bonsai Sushi:

One of my favorite places on the ship. The first time we went they were insanely slow (more slow trend). However, YOU CAN GET AN ENTIRE BOTTLE OF SAKI FOR $12 OR $10 IF YOU HAVE CHEERS!!!! My group was blow away by this lol. The tempura roll was addicting (I don't eat uncooked weird sushi) and it seemed to be a favorite of the entire group! The noodle bowl for $7 is a steal and enormous! Get the ramen style noodles in it!

Alchemy Bar:

We were NOT a fan of Gabriel and the blonde bartender. I have a huge problem when I order something from the menu and they say, "no" and "we don't make anything from the menu". We were waiting 2 years for a basil drop and our dreams were destroyed. There is a difference between being confident and cocky/ obnoxious. We finally had a thin brunette who was in training for a promotion who made us just what we asked for. This bar was normally PACKED.

Havana Bar:

We absolutely loved having our own private oasis. The bar was only packed at night when the Latin bands were playing. The wrist bands WERE strictly enforced and I constantly saw people being asked to leave by the pool attendants. Although the bar is super close there are no drink servers back in the Havana pool area. You will have to get your drink from the bar.

7dc1606ef30057a9080b40d3747681ce.jpg

838dccab9b34b587a0c625fdcdf5c158.jpg

2f709150be99dac59c48b14923b1ddc4.jpg

Havana Aft extended balcony 6467:

We have mixed feelings...

Pros:

Close proximity to elevators and deck 5 where all our favorite places are.

Huge balcony

Gorgeous view of pool

Amazing room steward named Paul

Cons:

Zero privacy from balconies above

Completely covered in dried salt from the ocean spray during a really rocky 2 days

Right above Havana Bar and the music was blasting until 1am. (This didn't bother me, but people who are sensitive to sound may want to avoid these rooms on deck 6)

Very rocky from very windy weather the first 2 days

563544214054c5cc88caf0c098fada67.jpg

52ff851f5aa50764c5e85b2875b01a62.jpg

Comedy:

Stupid crazy lines as usual. They do make you leave the first show to go stand in line for the second show. This is only fair. 2 drink servers in the whole venue that I saw 2 times. We only saw one comedian both times, but we enjoyed him.

Lido:

Never stepped foot on the lido until Grand Cayman when it was time to eat once we got on the ship. Who needs lido when you have the private Havana pool? Zero regrets! I'd rather stay away from that **** show :)

Ports

Ocho Rios:

I've been here before and find it to be mehhhh... ok. We found a private tour driver to take us around all day for $40 per person and only 6 were on this tour. He took us all around and then took us to lunch at a locals place and the food (jerk chicken) was on point.

The other couple did the $200 PP golf excursion and said it was AWFUL!!!! They were thinking about saying something, but not sure if they did or not. Avoid this tour!

Everyone in the group said they would be ok with not going back there.

Grand Cayman:

We booked a private yacht for $395 a couple from 9am-1pm through Cayman Luxury charters. I cannot stress enough how great the company was to deal with and how amazing of a time we had going to Stingray City and Starfish Point.

Cozumel:

Mr Sanchos of course!!! It was basically college spring break central, but us old geezers had fun! We tipped our server $50 when we got there and our drinks were stronger than they ever have been before and were never more than half way empty. Best experience we have ever had here. All you can eat, drink and play with for $55 pp. reservations are recommended by going to their website and paying a $5 pp deposit which comes off the total due at check in.

Debarkation:

We took full advantage of the offer to get off from 7am-7:15 am and did it. It was so easy and we were out of customs by 7:30. I highly recommend taking advantage of that offering.

All in all we had a great time and we love Carnival. However, the cutbacks and insanely obvious and a little concerning. The dining room servers have way too much on their plates with barely any help. They were the ones with a constant smile on their faces and so concerned about pleasing their guests. All meals are ridiculously slow and often caused us to miss shows and events we really wanted to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Briitini

Thank you so much for your review. WOW! I'm surprised about the attitude of the waitress at the Italian restaurant. They're usually the most polite staff! We ate there 3 nights out of 6 the 4 times that we sailed on the Breeze. We ate at the Seafood Shack aboard the Victory in December for lunch every day, and the most we waited was 10 minutes for the Lobster Rolls. There was never a line. I don't think many people knew about it since it had only been there a few weeks. I will be sailing aboard the Breeze in April.

Thank you so much for your review. WOW! I'm surprised about the attitude of the waitress at the Italian restaurant. They're usually the most polite staff! We ate there 3 nights out of 6 the 4 times that we sailed on the Breeze. We ate at the Seafood Shack aboard the Victory in December for lunch every day, and the most we waited was 10 minutes for the Lobster Rolls. There was never a line. I don't think many people knew about it since it had only been there a few weeks. I will be sailing aboard the Breeze in April.

She got to be a lot nicer as the night went on for sure.

Thanks for the review!!!

Have you been on the Breeze before? I am just wondering how it compares.....

I already do not like the look of the Atrium, but we love the idea of the Havana Cabana rooms. Just to avoid all of the "hoopla" on Lido. lol

We are currently booked on an 8 night Eastern on the Magic for June, but DD and DH are bugging me to switch to a Vista Havana Cabana. There are none available. I check daily.:loudcry::loudcry:

Alchemy Bar:

We were NOT a fan of Gabriel and the blonde bartender. I have a huge problem when I order something from the menu and they say, "no" and "we don't make anything from the menu". We were waiting 2 years for a basil drop and our dreams were destroyed. There is a difference between being confident and cocky/ obnoxious. We finally had a thin brunette who was in training for a promotion who made us just what we asked for. This bar was normally PACKED.

W t f? That would honestly piss me off a lot. What's the menu for if you refuse to make anything from it?

Edited by hotsauce126
apparently you can't say double you tee eff because we're all babies

***? That would honestly piss me off a lot. What's the menu for if you refuse to make anything from it?

I wish I was exaggerating in the least bit.... I totally agree.

I wish I was exaggerating in the least bit.... I totally agree.

Let them try that on me in 8 days and I'll be filling out a comment card at GS and ask to speak to the Food and Beverage Manager. Not saying that to sound threatening, but if we want a drink that's on the menu and they refuse, then they aren't doing their job.

Thanks for the review. About Mr Sancho's, if you book on line through Beach Tours Mexico there is a $5 discount. You pay a $4.95 deposit on line and the balance at the resort. It's not much but covers the cab fare one way.

Thanks for the review. About Mr Sancho's, if you book on line through Beach Tours Mexico there is a $5 discount. You pay a $4.95 deposit on line and the balance at the resort. It's not much but covers the cab fare one way.

That's great information!! Thank you.

Was the atrium as ugly as people say?

Without the glass elevators?

If you need it to go up 8 levels, then you will be disappointed. We thought it one of our most favorite areas for a pre meal cocktail and the entertainment that happens there is superb!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, my experience at Jiji's was just the opposite, I went there twice during the week. The bar drinks take a while because they don't have a bar, they actually have them made and bring them from somewhere on the Lido. The appetizer you didn't order was compliments of the chef, sometimes called "amuse bouche", but usually they mention that when it's delivered and they tell you what it is. I went early and alone, I'm sure that made a difference in my wait times, but I found the food to be chef's table quality.

Gabriel amused me but I wasn't all that impressed. I asked for something refreshing and got a cucumber drink. Didn't want a salad and a cucumber drink is already on the Alchemy menu. Asked for a cherry lime drink and got something that tasted like a cough lozenge. Luckily I knew the names of drinks I liked that were on the menu and was able to order them a few times. Gabriel is definitely full of himself!

I like the aesthetics of the ship but not necessarily the design......other ships have better incorporated their support poles!