Single Supplement

ckb104

I'm also a solo traveller and currently driving myself crazy trying to find an Alaskan cruise without a hefty single supplement. Unfortunately, as 1025cruise points out, I don't think there is one.

In my experience of extensive research, NCL seems to be the best for solo travellers and offer studios with an exclusive lounge area for people staying in these cabins. However, they are inside cabins and I'm guessing they will be quite small.

I appreciate that cruise lines can't be giving solo travellers a double occupancy room for nothing, but it really is quite soul destroying to have to pay for someone that isn't there!! They are basically saying find someone else or pay double!

I hope you have better luck than I have in your search.

I've gotten a couple of 150% on Holland America. Both oceanview cabins, and both on cruises that didn't seem to be selling really well. You have to click through doing a fake booking for "1 passenger" then check the rates on each cabin category. Both times, the cabin category was a higher category than the entry-level OV .... one was for a "D" if I recall correctly, and even with the single supp, it was a lower price than the entry-level OV that was priced at 200%.

But I never count on that happening.....

You can get a lower single supplement level but this is on higher priced cruise lines so you will probably spend more anyway.

I would look for last minute specials. I am starting to get $699 pp emails. So $1300 plus taxes is not too bad. I have seen them lower but am not sure if they will go lower this summer or not (due to people not traveling to Europe, etc..).

I doubt it, the cabin fare is minimal for the cruise lines, the cruise lines make their money on what people spend while on the ship. If they aren't on the ship (because only one person is in the room) then they aren't spending money, so the cruise lines are making what they can via single supplement - to recoup the loss.

NCL DOES have sailings with no single supplements, that are LAST minute. Frequently less than a week prior. As mentioned, HAL has last minute reductions.

I have picked these up, but am able to travel last minute. I have my eye on one now, that I'll snag if it dumps. :)

The more flexible you are the better with all solo cruising. I haven''t paid a single supplement in 2016 to April 2017- 12 solo cruises, plus 6 more in double occupancy.

Princess and NCL both have supplements for solo cruisers. I booked one via Princess through an online travel agency. Yes, I still am not happy paying 150% for a cabin, but I do understand the cruise lines make money by having a full ship.

With that said, you need to look hard to find them as there are only a few available on each cruise. I have a balcony suite, so not all of the solo offerings are for interior cabins only. If your dates are flexible, check different sail dates for the place you wish to see.

Good luck! :D