New York Jan 1, 2006 What's open?

shygirl

We are arriving to New york on new year's day 12pm. Staying at the Sheraton Manhattan for one night pre-cruise leaving 2nd of January.

I have 2 and 8 yr old boys and would love to see the holiday lights and windows around town. This is our first time Midtown and we have done New York in the summer and would like a winter/holiday experience.

Which window displays are a must?

Which stores are open? Does anyone know about store hours?

So far we are really interested in FAO Swartz, Toys r us, the Rockafellor Center, Saks fith Avenue, Sony store and Nike town. Would like to add more to my list.

Where can I get more holiday info on New York.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sara

Sara,

Go to www.nycvisit.com for some advice. Also, go to Google and type in NYC Tourist info and you'll get some more.

Stores are closed on Jan 1st, but many restaurants will be open. A fun place your kids might like brunch is the Empire Diner on 10th Ave and 21st Street. Also EJ's Luncheonette is always popular for family brunch.

For dinner, perhaps Chinatown? I'm sure many places there will be open, including some of the knick-knack shops. Mott Street is the main street there.

If it's not too cold, walk a few blocks to Little Italy for dessert, though check with your hotel concierge and ask if the places there might be open. Possibly not.

If it's bitter cold and you want some indoor things, the movies are always open on New Year's Day. BowlMore Lanes, which is a funky bowling alley in the village, might be open as well.

Must see Store windows are Lord & Taylor. That's always the best for kids. 39th Street and 5th Ave.

Sak's is always gorgeous, (49th & 5th) but you'll like it more than the kids will. Sak's is across the street from Rock. Center, so of course, you can go see the tree and watch the ice skaters.

You kids might like a Horse & Carriage Ride though Central Park (Hansom Cab).

There will probably be a lot of family's in Central Park enjoying a walk and the ice skating rink there too.

There's a new, temporary ice skating rink set up in Bryant Park (behind the main library on 42nd Street & 5th Ave). It's open til mid January. Don't know if it'll be open on 1/1.

Hope this helps.

Jane

You are arriving on Sunday which is complicated by the fact that it's New Years Day but NYC is the city that never sleeps. You can also try sidewalk.com

You will find more than enough to entertain your kids for their 1 day in the city. Just walk up & down 5th Avenue to see the windows, the big snowflake on 57th Street, the tree & skaters at Rockafeller Center & the ribbon tied around Cartier. Given what I expect will be the size of the crowds you may be exhausted just from that after your travels. The central park zoo is also fun, even in the cold.

Thanks for the suggestions and links.

Just a few more questions.

1. Is Moma toddler friendly? Will my 2 year old get into trouble there? Do they have barriers around most of the exibits? Pixar exibit sounds interesting.

2. How can we get from one department store window display to the next without taking a tour. Does anyone have a list of all the stores? Lord and Taylor, Saks Fith Ave. and where else?

3. Are there any stores open besides Chinatown/little Italy, we have been there many times before. We are more interested in Midtown stuff. Eg. Timesquare? I know the wax museum is open. What else?

4. What is the age limit for the Rockettes Christmas Spectacluar Show? How long does the show last?

Sara

1. Is Moma toddler friendly? Will my 2 year old get into trouble there? Do they have barriers around most of the exibits? Pixar exibit sounds interesting.

2. How can we get from one department store window display to the next without taking a tour. Does anyone have a list of all the stores? Lord and Taylor, Saks Fith Ave. and where else?

3. Are there any stores open besides Chinatown/little Italy, we have been there many times before. We are more interested in Midtown stuff. Eg. Timesquare? I know the wax museum is open. What else?

4. What is the age limit for the Rockettes Christmas Spectacluar Show? How long does the show last?

Sara

1. No, you'll have to keep a close eye on him/her. It's not child proofed.

2.You can walk, take a bus, subway or taxi.

Stores - FAO Shwarz - 59th & 5th, Bergdorf's - 57th & 5th, Henri Bendel's- 56th & 5th, Sak's - 49th and 5th, Lord & Taylor- 39th and 5th. So those can be seen in one walk.

Bloomingdales - 59th and Lexington & 3rd Ave's, Barney's - 61st St. & Madison Ave. Lex & Madison are 2 blocks apart (w/ Park Ave. sandwiched in between) so you can see those together. Then walk up Madison Ave from Barney's and look at all the store display's for the boutiques. Barney's is always my favorite window. It's the most adult and often quite tongue and cheek.

3. The knickknack/souvenier shops will be open. The big stores will not be open. Movies will be open.

4. Don't know. Sorry. Look up on their website perhaps.

Jane

Sara

The Museum of Natural History is much more kid friendly. If I remember correctly, I don't recall any stollers in MoMA and there aren't any 'barriers' per se.

You can walk up and down Fifth Avenue starting with Bergdorf Goodman (both sides of the street).

I saw the show at Radio City a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't a minimum age. I suggest an early matinee.

Just found out FAO Swartz is open til 5pm on New Years day! 5th Ave. windows are next and end with Rock Center/tree.

How big is the concourse level/indoor underground section at the Rock Center. Can we walk almost to our hotel underground? We are at 7th and W 51 st.

Sara

You used to be able to walk all the way, but some of the tunnels were closed after 9/11. Check with your hotel. The Rockefeeler Center shopping map, http://www.rockefellercenter.com/shoppingandentertainment.pdf , will give you some idea of the size of the underground concourse.

If it's a decent day, why not go to the Central Park Zoo? That zoo, like the Bronx Zoo and all other affiliated WSC (wildlife conservation society) zoos, is open every day of the year. Quite a large portion of the zoo is indoors, and your kids should love the polar bears, penguins, puffins in the cold weather house and the tropical animals and plants in the hot weather house.

I don't think the Christmas show has an age limit; but if your two year old can sit through the noise and excitement, you have a very unusual toddler. You might be better off going to Toys R Us, and possibly taking the indoor ferris wheel.

If you stay past 1/1. the Paint the Town promotion starts 1/2. The web site will be up in a few days, and will be at http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagepkey=1388&CFID=3597095&CFTOKEN=11594847 That's a potion of the NYC visit web site mentioned by Jane110.

Have fun!

Joanandjoe,

Great tip about the zoo being indoors! Will add it to the list of things to do. Any thoughts about the Carousel and Tisch Children's Zoo(just north of wildlife center-included with admission)

We are thinking about Stage Deli for lunch but have nothing planned for dinner. Any good restaurants near the Rock Center?

We are saving Toysrus for the following morning before we checkout.

What is the big deal with Mcdonald's in Time square. Is it worth having breakfast there?

If it is really cold, how is the subway and bus ride between Central Park, Rock Center, Time Square and our hotel(51 and 7th). We are trying to avoid bringing the car seat for taxi's. Are they stroller friendly(escalators?)

$7 all day pass sounds good!

Thanks for your tips.

Sara

We can help with some, but not all, of your questions. BTW, we've just come back from the Bronx Zoo, where we had a great time. We rode on the new bug carousel, and saw such indoor attractions as the mouse house, Congo (gorillas in warm weather, but none today), monkey house, zoo center (camels and a tapir), and, of course, the snack bar. The Central Park Zoo is smaller, but still nice.

The Central Park Carousel is open all year. I'm not sure about the Children's Zoo - check the Central Park Zoo listings at www.wcs.org.

The Stage deli is good but overpriced, and may be intimidating for a two year old. You'll probably find more family friendly choices. I never go into Mickey D's, so I can't comment on it.

There are no subway stops close to the Central Park Zoo, and the Carousel is in the middle of the park. You're basically stuck with a cab, or with skipping these attractions, if it's cold. The other places are accessible by subway, but they run infrequently on holidays. What IS accessible via subway is the Museum of Natural History (8th Ave. Local, 81st St. stop), which is open every day except today and Christmas. The Children's Museum at 212 W. 83rd St. might be a gentler place, but it is closed on 1/1.

I think the subways have stairs, not escalators - maybe someone else can help on this one.

Have fun!

Joanandjoe,

We are thinking about Stage Deli for lunch but have nothing planned for dinner. Any good restaurants near the Rock Center?

If it is really cold, how is the subway and bus ride between Central Park, Rock Center, Time Square and our hotel(51 and 7th). We are trying to avoid bringing the car seat for taxi's. Are they stroller friendly(escalators?)

$7 all day pass sounds good!

Thanks for your tips.

Sara

Central Park, Rockefeller Center, and Times Square are all so near each other you don't need to take public transportation. However, you can take the N/R from Times Square to 59th Street which is Central Park South.

Rockefeller Center is around 51st Street between Fifth Avenue and Seventh Avenue. It encompasses 22 acres so you can't miss it.

Do you have a map of Midtown? If not, get one.

There is a Fifth Avenue stop on the N/R line which is one block away from the Central Park Zoo. The zoo is open every day of the year and the children's zoo, penguin exhibit, Tropical Zone (indoors) and polar bears are more enjoyable in cold weather than in warm weather.

MOMA is just not for toddlers. There is nothing to hold their attention. There must be 100 better places -- stores, other museums, parks, etc. Depending on where you are from, it may be an adventure just to go into a large building with escalators, elevators and revolving doors.

Chinatown is very lively on New Year's Day (as well as Christmas Day) and can make a great backdrop for interesting photographs, fun meals and a true out of town experience. Unless you miss your hometown shopping mall, don't spend much time in the Time Warner Center or Trump Tower.

There are very few restaurants near Rock Ctr. Any particular reason you want to dine in that area? The Sea Grill will offer you a lovely view of the skating rink.

What is the big deal with Mcdonald's in Time square.

It's a MacDonalds. There is no big deal.

Is it worth having breakfast there?

It would be just like having breakfast in any other MacDonald. If you think this is a worthwhile experience when you come to the city with the best food on the planet......well....what can I say?

If it is really cold, how is the subway and bus ride between Central Park, Rock Center, Time Square and our hotel(51 and 7th).

That would depend on what street you exit the park on. For example, Central Park starts on 59th St and 5th Ave and runs uptown for miles. So if you exited the park on say....82nd Street and wanted to go to Rock Ctr. you could take the 5th Ave bus down to 49th St. However, if you exited the park on 59th Street, walking the 10 blocks south could be faster than waiting for the bus. Depends on how cold it is and how fast you can walk.

If you exit the park on 59th and 7th, you could take the bus down 7th Ave to your hotel or you could walk.

When you get on the bus, ask the driver if he goes to the street you need. Sometimes a bus going down an avenue will make a turn east or west before you need to get off.

Jane

This is what we are doing.

WARM DAY:

Central park Zoo

FAO Swartz

5th Ave. windows

Rock Center-Christmas tree

COLD DAY:

Museum of Natural History(dinosaurs!)

Saks Fifth Ave. window

We want a family friendly restaurant near the Rock Center because this is where we will be around 6pm.

I have checked the schedules for subways and buses and they seem too infrequent to be worth our while/ we will taxi if it gets too cold.

Monday morning we will try Timesquare. Any suggestions on a good bakery style restaurant for breakfast? (near toysrus)

Thank-you for all you help.

Sara.

Shygirl - I'd recommend heading toward Times Square for dinner to find a kid-friendly restaurant. The Sea Grill is a wonderful restaurant, but it's not at all kid-friendly. Maybe Mars 2112 (Broadway at 51st Street, www.mars2112.com). It's not a far walk from Rockefeller Center - a few blocks (although I know they can be looong blocks in January!) Folks I know that have tried it generally say that the kids love it; adults sometimes give it mixed reviews. At any rate, it's not one of the regular chain restaurants you can visit anyplace.

As for breakfast - until several months ago, I would have recommended HoJo's in Times Square; however, they've closed. Yes, a bit run down, but the food was good for the price. There a a couple of fairly good delis that offer breakfast on the cross streets around Times Square, and there are any number of chain bakeries (Au Bon Pain et al) in the area.

Hope this helps!

This is what we are doing.

WARM DAY:

Central park Zoo

FAO Swartz

5th Ave. windows

COLD DAY:

Museum of Natural History(dinosaurs!)

Saks Fifth Ave. window

We want a family friendly restaurant near the Rock Center because this is where we will be around 6pm.

I have checked the schedules for subways and buses and they seem too infrequent to be worth our while/ we will taxi if it gets too cold.

Monday morning we will try Timesquare. Any suggestions on a good bakery style restaurant for breakfast? (near toysrus)

Thank-you for all you help.

Sara.

Good itinerary's.

I honestly can't think of one family friendly restaurant near Rock Center. Try walking west to 7th Ave and you'll get to the Carnegie and Stage Deli's on 7th Ave. Underneath Rock Ctr is a huge maze of shops and restaurants, though they're mostly geared to people who work in the area, so may be open for lunch only. I don't know. Morell's is a terrific restaurant by Rock Ctr, but definitely not a kid's place. Will that be your last activity of the day? I'll try to give you some more suggestions, but need to know which area to point you in the direction of. But honestly, eating in that area is tough.

For breakfast, I know some bakery style restaurants. Unfortunately none are in the Times Sq area. However, the coffee shop in the Edison Hotel (W. 47th Street) is a very popular place all hours of the day.

Some places are: Amy's Bread on 9th Ave and 48th Street, Au Bon Pain on 8th Ave & 41st St.. One of my favorites is Le Pain Quotidien - they're all over town. There's one on 7th and 58th. Look up www.painquotidien.com for their other locations. It's perfect for family breakfasts and lunches.

Jane

Archived