CCL Stock - Record Highs

steph.ryan05

Hasn't Royal and NCL pretty much slaughtered CCL's stock over the last few years?

I also carry RCL stock but not as much as CCL. I cruise more on Carnival and so we get more OBC credit as a bonus to the stock performance.

If you look at the last two years - No - CCL has outperformed both RCL and NCL.

CCL is up 26.1%

RCL is up 24.2% (just hit intra-day high for the year this week as well)

NCL is down 4.4% and is down over 9% from the 52-week high

If you add in the dividend yields -

CCL has an average 2.5% yield ever since 2012.

RCL has a 1.8% yield since 2012 and has never reached a 3% yield like CCL has.

NCL doesn't pay out dividends so there's that to account for as well.

I also carry RCL stock but not as much as CCL. I cruise more on Carnival and so we get more OBC credit as a bonus to the stock performance.

If you look at the last two years - No - CCL has outperformed both RCL and NCL.

CCL is up 26.1%

RCL is up 24.2% (just hit intra-day high for the year this week as well)

NCL is down 4.4% and is down over 9% from the 52-week high

If you add in the dividend yields -

CCL has an average 2.5% yield ever since 2012.

RCL has a 1.8% yield since 2012 and has never reached a 3% yield like CCL has.

NCL doesn't pay out dividends so there's that to account for as well.

"Over the last 2 years" is being very generous to Carnival. On average, over the last 3 - 10 years, you would technically be better off holding only RCL stock and using some of the additional gains to cover that $100 OBC.

Myself as an example, I sold my CCL stock October 24th, 2016 and bought RCL the same day. Just the additional gains on the RCL in a few short months would cover 10 Carnival OBC $100 benefits...

Over the last 5 - 10 years, it's even more drastic. That said, CCL isn't a "bad" stock, it's just not as good as the others. NCL has outperformed Carnival since 2013. But isn't that the market? Who knows, maybe we'll look back on this comment in a year and laugh as CCL is skyrocketing!

5 years ago, both CCL and RCL were about $30/ea. Today, CCL is "record highs" at what, $57? RCL is $97. It's substantial.

Personally, I don't see Carnival doing anything on the horizon to suggest their stock will skyrocket. The new ships are not that special (comparatively speaking, we all know they are great) and nothing seems to be in the pipeline that will suggest Carnival will close this gap in valuation. But we'll see.

Hasn't Royal and NCL pretty much slaughtered CCL's stock over the last few years?

NCL doesn't pay a dividend. CCL has had much less volatility and done a substantially better job outperforming estimates versus NCLH.

NCL doesn't pay a dividend. CCL has had much less volatility and done a substantially better job outperforming estimates versus NCLH.

That's true. NCLH hasn't done well as of late. Looking back since inception of NCLH in 2013, it's had nearly a double annualized return compared to CCL. In other words, $10k in 2013 would be worth $20,500 with NCL and about $15,000 with CCL over the same time period. RCL would be at $26,500. That's a whole lot of OBC... heck it's a few cruises worth of additional returns! But lately NCLH, not so much.

I'm curious to see what sort of effect the LNG ships will have on Carnival stock. The new ships are slated to be 180k tons, right? So by far the largest Carnival has done and in line with Quantum class. If they configure the ships right, do something interesting and new, they could drive a ton of enthusiasm, we'll see.

If everyone bought at exactly the right time of everything - if you are happy with your investments then that's all there is.

Like I said I own both... anything that can hit 20%+ ROI I'll buy, make some money and sell.

And as we talk about this the worst day for the market in 2017 happens...