Love Royal but would consider MSC?

We were on the Divina last year and it was the worst cruise experience we have ever had. Even factoring in the cheaper price point, in my opinion, the cruise was overpriced for what you get. Service was bad and sometimes downright rude (especially from customer service). Food was mediocre at best and, in my opinion, cruise line management could not care less. After the cruise, I sent them a two page letter detailing my disappointments and asking them to at least have the courtesy to respond, and I heard nothing. We have been on 8 RCCL cruises, 2 NCL, 1 Celebrity and 1 Carnival and always felt that we got a good value for the money we spent, but not on MSC. I agree with other posters that I would never use MSC again.

I can second this. I had a client who was on her second cruise and had a horrible experience with MSC. Yes the price is attractive however you do get what you pay for. The cabin was dirty and uncleaned from the previous guest (hair in beds and bath) food mediocre/ entertainment ok and most of all the staff literary ran when you tried to ask a question. Guest services took the tact that my client was lying and their complaints were unfounded. My client was chastised by the dining room staff. My client requested GF meals. She specifically told them they were not going to be there one night. When they returned the head waiter said "you did not show up last night and we cooked a special meal for you" all in front of other guests. From that point on the whole table felt punished! Just outrageous staff behavior. So bottom line, I will never sell MSC.

Wow. Dirty rooms?

There was a thread or discussion in RCCL FB group about suite that wasn't cleaned well.

I guess this random experience can happen anywhere, but it is definitely not a usual thing on any of these two lines.

Running staff? Ouch. Did not experience this as well.

Wow. Dirty rooms?

There was a thread or discussion in RCCL FB group about suite that wasn't cleaned well.

I guess this random experience can happen anywhere, but it is definitely not a usual thing on any of these two lines.

Agreed. I have read the occasional story about a dirty room or left behind "items" being encountered on RCI ships. But it is certainly far from the norm and nothing that I have ever experienced sailing with RCI.

Wow. Dirty rooms?

Tatka,

I am glad you enjoyed your cruises, but you have your opinion and I have mine. In my case, the differences between RCCL and MSC were especially noticeable since we got off of RCCL and immediately boarded MSC. While the MSC ship was beautiful, the crew's attitude, service, food and entertainment were all well below the level we just had from RCCL.

I my opinion, the difference starts from the top and works its way down. MSC seems to have the attitude that the Officers are the most important people on the ship, with passengers second. RCCL gives you the exact opposite feel.

I found the food on MSC to be mediocre. In fact, the weight that I gained the week before on RCCL, I lost on MSC.

While I never saw any crew member "running" from passengers, they definitely avoided passengers, or simply ignored them. The best example of this would be ships officers at the buffet, who would simply cut in line in front of passengers and stand to talk to each other at traffic "choke points" so nobody could move around them.

Again, in my opinion, they are overpriced for what you get. If I lived within driving distance of Miami, I MIGHT consider to them to be worth the price. But I don't and factoring in the extra costs associated with traveling to and from the ports, I don't think they are good value for the money you will spend.

Well, my friend just returned from her first RCCL cruise on Anthem, and said that food was horrible. That basically there was nothing to eat.

I had different experiences with food on RCCL ships. While it is not known for gourmet food, I cannot remember completely horrible experience.

But she could've posted on this thread with the same argument "I am glad you enjoyed your cruises with RCCL, but..." :)

And about value of RCCL cruises.

By the way about MSC crew, while sailing on Poesia put of Fort Lauderdale, we talked to one of bar staff members. She was from Ukraine where we are from many years ago (21+). She told us, that for US sailings MSC specifically hires workers who previously worked on ships that cater to North American pax, especially RCCL.

We enjoyed our first cruise with MSC on the Splendida. Agree with most of the positive reviews on this thread.

But, you'll miss the RCI Diamond & Concierge lounges -- the best perk going.

Also, as a retired architect, I found the absence of men's urinals in the public restrooms a bit odd and not in keeping with 'best practices' in restroom design. So the men's room stalls were pretty much always a mess and I usually went back to my stateroom for some potty needs.

Other than this, we are looking to sail again on MSC in 2018 on an Adriatic cruise.

By the way about MSC crew, while sailing on Poesia put of Fort Lauderdale, we talked to one of bar staff members. She was from Ukraine where we are from many years ago (21+). She told us, that for US sailings MSC specifically hires workers who previously worked on ships that cater to North American pax, especially RCCL.

Tatka,

The OP asked if they should consider MSC because of the attractive price. You have your opinion, I have mine. In dealing with the Cruise Director's staff I did find find about half of them to be from RCCL. I also found this department to be good.

The problem is with the smaller issues and whether or not you will be happy. To call the speed of service in the main dining room "slow" is an understatement. The first night, I actually asked the waiter what was taking so long and he replied that the kitchen ran out of what we ordered and he had to send somebody down to the second kitchen. However, I noticed that people who arrived later than we did, were being served the same orders that they were supposedly out of. In watching the waiter, it soon became obvious that he was waiting for every table to be on the same course before he served the next. Maybe you like being lied to, I don't. This same waiter, when picking up unused silverware off the table, simply put them back with the clean silverware without sending them to be washed again. After observing this, that was the last time we used the MDR.

I have a problem with a Company that doesn't even bother to answer a letter of complaint from a customer. I was not expecting them to say "you are right, we are wrong", or offer anything for free. I was expecting some kind of standard reply like "we are sorry for your experience, we hope you will give us another chance", or something along those lines. What I got was nothing. That just shows how much MSC values customer service.

Sailed Divina in Feb of this year. Would not sail again right away but might try again. The shows and la k of evening activity was our biggest beefs. Ship was absolutely beautiful. Service was meh so I will wait and pay more to sail Royal. Did a quick analysis on pass to crew ratio vs some common royal ships and the only ship over 3:1 was the Divina.

Again would try them again but I will wait for another great sail combined with a great itinerary