Is the Unlimited Internet signal good?

Anyone that hasever bought the Unlimited Internet package, can you please tell me if you thought it was worth it and did you ever have an issue with poor signal or no signal? Any input is really appreciated

Thank you

I thought it was worth it on the Escape last August, it was faster than it was on the Getaway the previous year. Just let it be known that there will be times it is either slow or unusable. As along as you expect and anticipate that, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The answer to your question is that there is a strong signal throughout the ship.

So, the question you need to ask is the speed of your connection. From a ship, you are using satellite internet. Every piece of data needs to travel 23,000 miles from the ship to the satellite and back down. There is inherent latency with this type of communication. Then, you are sharing a single internet connection with hundreds of people (may be a thousand).

The Escape is piloting a new wifi tiered package (see below), so there are multiple "unlimited" packages you can buy. In the past, ship wifi was "just good enough" to get email, but relatively poor with interactive and did not support any type of streaming. Last summer, NCL upgraded most of its ships with improved service that included a onboard cache server that interacted with an app on your device to give you the illusion of improved bandwidth because it would cache data that you would likely link to next.

We always purchase an unlimited package to keep in touch with work. Not sure how well the new tiered service will work.

March 5, 2017.Passengers sailing on Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Getaway now have theoption to purchase internet based on how they use it versus prepaid minutes.

NorwegianCruise Line is testing a new internet pricing model that could be rolled outfleetwide by this summer. Dubbed "Freestyle Choice Plans," theoptions include Social Chat ($35 for seven days), Basic ($189 for seven days)and Premium ($245 for seven days).

Social Chatprovides unlimited access to social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter,Instagram and Snapchat; it also allows for sending and receiving messages.Basic offers unlimited Internet access as well as messaging and email, andsupports file attachments. Premium includes everything in Basic, plus streamingcapabilities and VPN access.

The line haspreviously offered more traditional internet plans ranging from $29 per day to250 minutes for $125, on weeklong cruises. Last summer, however, NorwegianCruise Line Holdings Ltd. sealed a deal with Global Eagle Entertainment(formerly Emerging Markets Communications) to quadruple bandwidth across itsbrands for stronger Wi-Fi onboard.

Norwegian'snew test follows a trend of cruise lines switching to Internet plans that aremore tailored toward how passengers surf the web at sea. Carnival Cruise Linerecently adopted a similar model that includes a social media-only plan for $5per day.

Can anyone give me a link or prices for wifi on EPIC? It was my understanding that it was purchased by the minute? I will be on Epic the first week of May in Italy. I need to be able to remotely monitor (via cell phone) a child back home with a medical condition. Purchasing wifi by the minute seems like it will be very expensive. I have purchased international service for my phone, but my understanding is that it will only work when we're in port. I'd be using the remote monitoring app and then would like to be reachable via text in real time but don't really need anything else. Any experience anyone could share?

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

I've purchased the unlimited plans on two transatlantic cruises (Apr 2015 and Oct 2016) on Epic. I noticed improvement in speeds and availability on the last one. Those new plans may be available by then.

Nexus 9 on Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Rhea98

Anyone that hasever bought the Unlimited Internet package, can you please tell me if you thought it was worth it and did you ever have an issue with poor signal or no signal? Any input is really appreciated

Thank you

I have had it on the breakaway, gem and Jade and will have it on the Gem again. Works good for the most part. Really never have a problem

... on Epic the first week of May in Italy. I need to be able to remotely monitor (via cell phone) a child back home with a medical condition ... I have purchased international service for my phone, but my understanding is that it will only work when we're in port. I'd be using the remote monitoring app and then would like to be reachable via text in real time but don't really need anything else.

Who is your home carrier now & what device/app are you for your monitoring ? Based on your description & need for almost 24/7 connection, you will definitely need satellite internet access while at sea and land-based cellular data (roaming $$ for most U.S. carriers).

To received SMS or text messaging to your cellular/mobile number - you will need to enable your device for incoming text but definitely turn OFF your data (home and roaming). To access video images on your monitoring app, you will need the paid WiFi data plan - time based plan isn't going to work for your needs. The newest 3-tier plan is rolling out, just unclear whether it will be operational on the Epic by the time you sailed in May ... I wouldn't count on NCL's phone reps sitting at their call center to know much as they are often reading off scripted answers - check with those ahead of you on the Epic's Roll Call for best info & answers.

While docked at various ports - you will need be out of airplane mode, voice/text and data enabled. Thus, roaming charges can be rather costly ... depending on your carrier.

Are you familiar with Project Fi (by Google) and/or heard of/read about it ? I strongly & highly recommend it - it combined the network resources of T-Mobile, Sprint & U.S. Cellular at excellent & competitive pricing, 4G LTE data are billed at $10 per 1 GB (1,000 MB) at home and abroad in 135 countries (no surcharges or extras) unlimited TXT messaging and calls abroad at just 20 cents a minute. There is the add-on data Sim only option - which is approved for use on iPads/minis with LTE options and I'm using it on the iPhone 5S as a mobile hotspot when we travel.

I cruised on Royal Caribbean with VOOM and I don't think anything else can touch it, one reason is they use mid orbit satellites at 8,000 miles vs 22,000 for geosynchronous. I will be on Epic in November we watch a LOT of TV ( I actually am involved in testing hardware and software so for me watching TV and PPV movies is work.) I will be bringing along a lot of downloaded programs. Will also have the highest level package they offer for internet.