Wine options on Nieuw Amsterdam

Imagineer

We have the beverage package on our first ever cruise. Can we buy a carafe of wine and apply it against our card ( I.e 3 drinks against the 15 drink maximum.)

Thanks!

No, but you can order 3 glasses.

You'll find a very good selection at the store. I'd be inclined to call it crazy good, but that just makes me a cheerleader. ;)

I wish we had a Total Wine in New York City!

We always pop into TW when in Ft. Lauderdale to get wine for our days before the cruise and then for the cruise. The selection is very good - overwhelming when you walk in there the first time.

The people working there are very knowledgeable about their selections and are helpful in finding what you want and if it is not available, suggesting alternatives. The last time there I was looking for the South African Pinotages and was shown where they were. The man also pointed out a few labels for consideration. A little later I ran into him in another aisle and he asked me what I picked. A comment about one choice was: "I was hoping you would pick that one; I had it a few days ago and it is very good."

You cannot order 3 glasses at one time. There needs to be time between ordering...not much, like 5 minutes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. Not true at all. We ordered three glasses of wine at the beginning of dinner every night on the Eurodam in December. Champagne, wine for the appetizers and one to pair with the main course. We ordered them all at once and they brought them all at once.

. Not true at all. We ordered three glasses of wine at the beginning of dinner every night on the Eurodam in December. Champagne, wine for the appetizers and one to pair with the main course. We ordered them all at once and they brought them all at once.

Nice that it worked that way for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does HAL now offer carafes of wine in MDR?

Perhaps they permited the three glasses because there werethree people at your table?

Does HAL now offer carafes of wine in MDR?

Perhaps they permited the three glasses because there werethree people at your table?

They sell carafes of several wines. There's a scan of the MDR wine list at the link below.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/08b0000d-60cb-4efc-9ad0-a3fa8b1b0c13/4fb5426dfe13b798a7725cdd922264d1

There were three people at our table, but we all ordered multiple glasses each night. I was also able to order doubles at a variety of bars. There used to be a 5 minute limit and the beverage staff would hold onto your SBP card and ring drinks after 5 minutes had passed, but that was not the case in December. My guess is that it slowed the beverage staff down and really didn't help things, particularly in the dining room. It's much more efficient to order your wine at once than it would be to hope that your wine steward is available each time a new course is delivered. Just bring us the glasses and we'll figure out when to drink them. :D

It wasn't just our table that order more than one glass at a time. Several others around us did. I don't know if they were all on the beverage package or not though.

But as I've always said, "The table with the most stemware wins."

We're leaving on April 9th for the Panama cruise and are wondering about the best options for enjoying wine on board. HAL seems to encourage buying wine packages as opposed to ordering individual bottles of wine in the dining room. This is our first cruise with HAL, we've done NCL, Celebrity and Oceania prior to this cruise so are not familiar with HAL's ways as of yet.

Thanks for any heads up advice or suggestions :)

cheers,

Imagineer

My husband and I are also departing on Holland American Nieuw Amsterdam on April 9th from Fort Lauderdale and we belong to a wine club up in the Napa Valley we are from the San Francisco Bay Area and we bring our own wine and put in our check luggage and just wrap it up well. The dining room charges a corkage fee but it's worth compared to the bottle of wine price and the other thing Holland does is brings the wine back to your table the following night if you did not finish. Looking forward to another cruise on Holland!

We're leaving on April 9th for the Panama cruise and are wondering about the best options for enjoying wine on board. HAL seems to encourage buying wine packages as opposed to ordering individual bottles of wine in the dining room. This is our first cruise with HAL, we've done NCL, Celebrity and Oceania prior to this cruise so are not familiar with HAL's ways as of yet.

Thanks for any heads up advice or suggestions :)

cheers,

Imagineer

My husband and I are also departing on Holland American Nieuw Amsterdam on April 9th from Fort Lauderdale and we belong to a wine club up in the Napa Valley we are from the San Francisco Bay Area and we bring our own wine and put in our check luggage and just wrap it up well. The dining room charges a corkage fee but it's worth compared to the bottle of wine price and the other thing Holland does is brings the wine back to your table the following night if you did not finish. Looking forward to another cruise on Holland!

All wine has to be carried on, not in your checked luggage.

Just brought 10 bottles aboard between three of us in Ft. Lauderdale. The wine table located just inside the security / x-ray check-point wasn't manned, so we just checked-in and went aboard. We were charged $18 (including the service charge) per bottle when we took a bottle to a dinning venue. The Sommeliers graciously opened, decanted if we asked, and poured our wine.

Many people were commenting that the wines were not nice under $8 per glass, that being the limit for qualifying for being covered by a beverage package. Also that decent wines were $12+ per glass.

They offered to store our unfinished bottles for consumption at the next meal.

Of course I asked.."What's an unfinished bottle?" :-P

I would byob again.

Just brought 10 bottles aboard between three of us in Ft. Lauderdale. The wine table located just inside the security / x-ray check-point wasn't manned, so we just checked-in and went aboard. We were charged $18 (including the service charge) per bottle when we took a bottle to a dinning venue. The Sommeliers graciously opened, decanted if we asked, and poured our wine.

Many people were commenting that the wines were not nice under $8 per glass, that being the limit for qualifying for being covered by a beverage package. Also that decent wines were $12+ per glass.

They offered to store our unfinished bottles for consumption at the next meal.

Of course I asked.."What's an unfinished bottle?" :-P

I would byob again.

The table wasn't manned when we checked in either, They first told us we could only carry on two bottles. Then, they told us we would have to leave the wine and it would be delivered on board. I had to get a bit huffy with them. Finally, they wrote down our room number and number of bottles.

Thank you Ruth! I would have never considered bringing your own wine and paying $18.00 corkage until reading POA cruise thread here. It is good advice!! I have learned a lot from all the helpful CC contributors!! Much thanks to all!!