Chankanaab Snorkel and Sea Lion Show Shore Excursion

Here's another thought! Go on your own, it's easy and less expensive. We like to snorkel there and have gone 3 times.

You get a cab at the cab stand on the main street. It's a quick ride 10 min. and costs about $15 one way (that was for 2.)

You pay the $21. entrance fee there (sometimes there's a $2 off coupon online) The sea lion show and snorkeling are free. We have our own equipment so I don't know about renting it there, but they have a good website, and you can see how clean and pretty the property is! As you enter go left, there is a small beach where your non snorkelers could sit on chairs or go into the shallow water. Proceed further left, and there are many chairs. Here there is a wall with steps going down into deep water where you can snorkel. You don't have to swim out very far to find a nice variety of fish. They also have a pool.When you're ready to go back to the ship, they'll call a cab or one will already be at the front gate.

If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them.

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to sign up for the Chankanaab Snorkel ad Sea Lion Show shore excursion and for some of my party to sit on the beach while others snorkel? We don't all snorkel.

We have taken the ship's excursion. They took us to the park in taxis. There are chairs on the beach where you can see the snorkelers and there are thatched roofs over the chairs, if you want some shade. Sometimes the chairs are full and then a group gets up and goes to the Sea Lion Show and other places to see and you can sit down. You don't have to go with the group once you are there. You can go to the beach. Just know when and where to meet back up with them to go back to the ship. They have taxis there to take you at the specified time.

We are only looking to go on RCI shore excursions, not on our own. This is the only way to ensure the ship won't leave without us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To each their own, but Channakaub is an easy 8-10 minutes from the port. We have never booked thru RCI. We always plan to be back an hour early... have been several times. I would not be afraid at all to do this without booking thru the ship.

We have taken the ship's excursion. They took us to the park in taxis. There are chairs on the beach where you can see the snorkelers and there are thatched roofs over the chairs, if you want some shade. Sometimes the chairs are full and then a group gets up and goes to the Sea Lion Show and other places to see and you can sit down. You don't have to go with the group once you are there. You can go to the beach. Just know when and where to meet back up with them to go back to the ship. They have taxis there to take you at the specified time.

How's the beach?

We are only looking to go on RCI shore excursions, not on our own. This is the only way to ensure the ship won't leave without us.

Well, it's not a guarantee the ship won't leave without you, but they are responsible for getting you to the next port if they do leave.

How's the beach?

He beach is fair. It is a protected area, but is rocky to get into the water and small. The real appeal of the park is the snorkeling, swimming with dolphins (extra $), and the sea lion show. The beach was fine, and my kids liked the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We also went in our own in September from Oasis. You can see the ship from the beach area. It's in the distance. The seal show was really good. We went early, got there at 9:00 BEFORE the ship's excursion and had our choice of chairs. We sat along the beach at a palapa and they come and wait on you. We had drinks with nachos and salsa. Left our towels on the chairs while we went to the seal show. No problem. We also walked up and down the beach for a while. And the have a nice walkway through gardens, a Zipline (we did not do this, and it's extra) and you can go over by where they swim with the dolphins. We also each had a massage which was 2for 2, $30. for 30 minutes and included a cold bottle of water. Was a fabulous day and it didn't​ cost near what the ship excursion was, and we both got a massage.

When we went to leave, there were taxis waiting to take us back, and there was another couple leaving going back to the ship. Saw their towels and asked them if they wanted to split the taxi, so was half price taxi ride back for us. All you have to do is be sure your WATCH is the same time as Ship time, then plan to be back at least 1 hour before your scheduled time. No problem at all.

Thing to remember about the excursions thru the ship. Royal Caribbean is nothing more than an agent. As such they mark up the cost. If you are on thier excursion and some thing happens and you miss the ship they will get you to the next port. They do not have to wait on anyone. The have a contract with the port to be at the dock "X" hours. Any additional time could stop another ship from docking and cost the ship slot more money.

All the tour operators know the ships schedule and tailor thier excursions around them. This is their livelyhood so they do every thing possible to stay within the schedule. They do it everyday.

The only I book thru the cruise line is for the stuff at Coo cay or Labidee.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Forums mobile app

To each their own, but Channakaub is an easy 8-10 minutes from the port. We have never booked thru RCI. We always plan to be back an hour early... have been several times. I would not be afraid at all to do this without booking thru the ship.

This ^^! :D

We did the Sea Lion encounter on our own - as the dolphins are the bigger draw, it was just the two of us, the trainer, and a sea lion. Couldn't have asked for a better excursion. We got lots of up close time with the sea lion, stood in the water and the sea lion swims into your arms. It was a great time. Also attended the Sea Lion show which went over much of the same but it wasn't as fun as the personal experience standing in the water with the sea lion.

While I understand your concern with not booking through the cruise line, we normally do that with excursions farther from the port. An example, we had a cruise that stopped in Malaga Spain on day two of our transatlantic cruise. It was our only stop before 10 days across the ocean and we wanted to go to Granada which was an hour and a half away. We booked through the cruise line on that excursion for the extra piece of mind.

Chankanaab is on the same straight road that the cruise ships dock on. My personal opinion is to grab your own transportation and set your watch to know when to get back. It has been a couple of years since we were there, but I don't think we waited more than maybe two minutes for a taxi to take us back to town (if it took even that long).