For Lovers of Really Big Ships

We have often discussed on this thread whether ships are too big.

Well MSC is about to launch Meraviglia, 5714 passengers, which will be the first of four new megaships.

Can you imagine a ship with -

• wristband technology to open cabins, book dinner and geo locate children
  • seven kids clubs, plus a dedicated teens area and a baby club
  • polar aqua park with three waterslides and a Himalayan bridge that spans the ship 82 metres above sea level
  • 96 metre promenade complete with bars, restaurants and shops
  • twice daily cirque du soleil shows
  • theatre seating 1000
  • 10 dance venues
  • full size bowling alley in sports bar
  • full size basketball court
  • etc.

MSC is the world's largest privately owned cruise line, with twelve ships

The Sun Herald

In my wildest dreams, I couldn't have dreamt that ships of this size and facilities were possible.

Would you like to cruise on her?

We have often discussed on this thread whether ships are too big.

Well MSC is about to launch Meraviglia, 5714 passengers, which will be the first of four new megaships.

In my wildest dreams, I couldn't have dreamt that ships of this size and facilities were possible.

Would you like to cruise on her?

Definitely once, just to see her and try her out.

I like MSC's large ships, so would be happy to try this.

None of the above sounds negative, and they're entertainment is excellent.

I agree MSC provides excellent entertainment. In addition, I found that they kept their ships spotless clean.

However, I wouldn't like to visit ports with 5714 passengers on a port intensive Mediterranean cruise.

However, I wouldn't like to visit ports with 5714 passengers on a port intensive Mediterranean cruise.

Especially if there are a couple of other big ships in port.

I wonder if/when there will be a backlash over the increasing size of ships which lead to less than optimum port visits? It's almost 10 years since we visited Italy and even then places like Florence were swamped during the day by groups from cruise ships and other tours. I hate to think what it's like now. :( I guess I'll find out in a few more months.

I agree MSC provides excellent entertainment. In addition, I found that they kept their ships spotless clean.

I would think most of the major med ports would have no issues, I was on the Epic with 4200 and didn't have an issue at any of the ports. However, I seem to remember it was going to America and Caribbean, before returning to the Med.

Edited by MicCanberra

Agreed, the more passengers, the more crowded.

However, Med cruises have the benefit that most places they visit are mostly large cities and/or already popular tourist destinations. Adding an extra 1000 (compared to the existing ~4000 pax regular size) doesn't make a discernible difference ashore - and in many ports it's not uncommon to have more than one ship at once anyway.

Agreed, the more passengers, the more crowded.

However, Med cruises have the benefit that most places they visit are mostly large cities and/or already popular tourist destinations. Adding an extra 1000 (compared to the existing ~4000 pax regular size) doesn't make a discernible difference ashore - and in many ports it's not uncommon to have more than one ship at once anyway.

Agreed, there were 7 ships in Barcelona with 17,000 pax capacity between them and the fact that some were getting off and others on, that is more likely to be more like 25,000-30,000. We had 13,000 for Rome and 15,000 for Athens, even Santorini which is a tender port had 10,000.