Trying out MSC Seaside for a Family of 4

LakeWobegon

Hello, we're a family of 4 with two kids - 9 and 12 years old - that are considering switching our booking from the Carnival Vista to the MSC Seaside for March 2018. Some background on us, we took two cruises on the NCL Escape these past two Marches and loved it. However, as I informed the kids, it's time to try something new in terms of ship and itinerary.

We thought we would try the Vista as it seems like a new product and departure for Carnival but the more I research it, the dining seems pretty informal and limited menu in terms of the MDR. Our kids have even started enjoying a more formal dining experience. They can make it 2 hours in the MDR no problem. Though books are often required.

Anyway, to get to my point, the Seaside looks like a great combination of family fun and a little more upscale as well. We've researched the options from balconies to yacht club and think a suite would probably fit well with the space. I'd love to hear recommendations from veteran MSC cruisers though on what room type works best for families. We'd like for the kids to have their own separate beds and the set up of a couch bed with a Pullman bed overhead (ala bunk bed style) worked well for these past two Escape cruises.

Thanks in advance for any input you can share!

I just booked the Seaside YC suite and in order to get the suite with 3 beds, I had to have a "5th" person on the reservation. I paid for the 3rd bed, (about 175) but the "5th" person will be a no show. It was still worth it, as the same suite type is 3k less than what I have booked on NCL Gem same time frame.

We're also a family of 4 and have also sailed on Escape. We're booked on Seaside for 2018 for our first MSC cruise. I like to think that we have "graduated" from Carnival. :p I will admit that I was following Vista's build as it almost piqued my interest enough to go back to Carnival. After seeing/reading more about Vista, I'm glad that I didn't go back (I like some of the itineraries, though).

My kids are younger than yours but I think Seaside will be great for all of us. The Yacht Club suites are smaller than the Haven suites on Escape and even though Escape has many suites with separate living-room and bedroom, Seaside only has 2 such Yacht Club suites.

Which "experience" are you looking to book? That would help with giving advice for a stateroom. Wanting the kids to sleep separately might limit your choices.

Thanks both. Nothing against Carnival. Just looks a little more informal than we would like. Yes, the 8 night is what piqued our interest but I'd rather have 7 great nights than 8 good ones. The Yacht Club would be cool but not totally necessary. So the Aurea experience in a suite or balcony would be our next choice. Not big drinkers but like not having to worry about buying or keeping tabs of drinks. Plus a I drink a lot of half drinks and dump the rest out if I don't care for them. Like to try new things.

Anyway, I called MSC and they said the only way you would get more than the main bed and a sofa bed was if you booked an interior room?

I've been researching cabins for 4. And looks like the inside have the 2 lower beds and 2 uppers. The outside and balconies have the 2 beds that can be singles or queen then a double sofa bed. I'm just going to put me and youngest on the sofa bed and have the 2 beds separate for my teens.

But you could look at the whirlpool suites i think they have the additional bed. You may find it comparable in price to the carnival cruise.

None of use really know much about the cabins yet. We are kind of guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just got off the Vista last month , and its terrible , i love carnival and have been loyal , but we always get suites and really you get nothing for it , we are going on Seaside in March 2018 , we did YC ( cheaper then a suite on vista ) and the perks are great. Carnival really screwed the pooch imo with the vista , the showroom is a disgrace etc...

Cannot wait for the Seaside

I just booked the Seaside YC suite and in order to get the suite with 3 beds, I had to have a "5th" person on the reservation. I paid for the 3rd bed, (about 175) but the "5th" person will be a no show. It was still worth it, as the same suite type is 3k less than what I have booked on NCL Gem same time frame.

3 beds do you mean the main bed plus a set of bunk beds?

Do you list a name for the "5th Person"?

If we wish to switch an existing reservation to include the bunk beds could it be done over the phone?

Any risk of issues boarding without the "full party" thanks

Thanks for additional input. I plan to call MSC tonight (or tomorrow) after all my evening commitments are over just to check on that whirlpool suite and others. May seem silly we want that 3rd bunk or bed of some sort. But we have a soon 10 year old girl and 13 year old boy. Other option is another connecting room but want to try to see if we can get the single room first.

So, I just called MSC during a break and they told me only one of the YC suites had more than the main bed and sofa sleeper. I believe it was the Royal and sold out. The rep was confused as the whirlpool suite said it sleeps 5 but it only has the main bed which can be split but also the sleeper sofa. So three people must be able to sleep on the main bed or sleeper sofa comfortably. Weird.

3 beds do you mean the main bed plus a set of bunk beds?

Do you list a name for the "5th Person"?

If we wish to switch an existing reservation to include the bunk beds could it be done over the phone?

Any risk of issues boarding without the "full party" thanks

I did and he said that the "sick" person being a no-show will not be an issue.

So, I just called MSC during a break and they told me only one of the YC suites had more than the main bed and sofa sleeper. I believe it was the Royal and sold out. The rep was confused as the whirlpool suite said it sleeps 5 but it only has the main bed which can be split but also the sleeper sofa. So three people must be able to sleep on the main bed or sleeper sofa comfortably. Weird.

I looked at the deck plans again. It looks like some of the whirlpool suites have a double sofa and a bunk, which sleeps 5. But others just have the double sofa. So maybe you can't book the one that sleeps five with only 4 people?

I would do what others gave mentioned and maybe just book a 5th person that doesn't show up. And I understand you wanting separate beds. I'm traveling march 2019 with my 3 kids (leaving hubby at home this trip). By the cruise I will have a 17 year old boy, 15 year old girl, and 8 year old boy. Clearly the teens don't want to bunk together or with their little brother. So I get the pullout with my youngest lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks. MSC is closed now but I plan to ask in the morning if they are good with us doing that - booking 5 people instead of 4 to get the 5 person room with the bunk. I may book it tonight after reviewing the cancellation policy if there are no penalties. And good luck on sleeping with that 8 year old on the sleeper sofa. I've done that before and woke up 15 times in the middle of the night with no blankets. lol

Thanks. MSC is closed now but I plan to ask in the morning if they are good with us doing that - booking 5 people instead of 4 to get the 5 person room with the bunk. I may book it tonight after reviewing the cancellation policy if there are no penalties.

You don't have to tell them that the 5th person won't show. ;)

Well, I'm kind of a risk manager and I want some assurance it won't screw things up on sailing day is all. Also, I did a mock booking for a YC Deluxe Suite for 4 people. This is about $900 more than a whirlpool suite for 5 (if you are booking an under 11 year old for the 5th guest and that child just pays the GFT). Anyway, it gives you a room with a third bunk. So that's something else to consider. Thoughts on the value the YC provides? I know its along the lines of the haven on NCL.

Also, I did a mock booking for a YC Deluxe Suite for 4 people. This is about $900 more than a whirlpool suite for 5 (if you are booking an under 11 year old for the 5th guest and that child just pays the GFT). Anyway, it gives you a room with a third bunk. So that's something else to consider. Thoughts on the value the YC provides? I know its along the lines of the haven on NCL.
Not all of the YC Deluxe suites have the pullman bed in the ceiling/wall. Check the deckplans for the symbol. They might not let you book 4 people in a stateroom for 5 via the website. It may require a call.

As for the Yacht Club, my first MSC cruise will be in the Yacht Club so I can't give an opinion on how it's better/not as good as NCL's Haven but I expect it to be on the same level for the most part...that's why I booked it .:D

Based on my past Haven experiences, expectations are high but I fully expect MSC's Yacht Club to deliver even if the price was the same (MSC is less). The YC deluxe is about the size of the Haven H5 on Escape/Breakaway/Getaway but the H5 is more expensive and only sleeps 3. The least expensive Haven suite that sleeps 4 is the H7 and that is also more expensive than the YC deluxe and the H7 doesn't have a pullman bed (but most H7s have a separate livingroom/master bedroom). The least expensive way for 2 kids in the Haven to have their own bed is the H4 which is even more expensive than the H5 (but the H4 has 2 bedrooms and a livingroom which can't be found in the YC suites on Seaside, not even the Royal Suite).

Looking at it and knowing your preferences, the YC deluxe that sleeps 5 is a great option. Good luck getting it even if you have to use a "ghost 10 year-old" 5th guest.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Thanks and thanks everyone for your help. So I called MSC this morning and the lady I talked to was super helpful but not crazy about the booking a fifth phantom person idea, which is fine because I was thinking about the Yacht Club anyway so we booked a Deluxe Suite with a bunk. I asked several questions about the Yacht Club and agree, compared to the prices of the Haven on NCL, this looks like a GREAT deal and I believe it will be a much more enjoyable experience than the Vista, and competitively priced against Vista as well. And you get so much more.

Thanks and thanks everyone for your help. So I called MSC this morning and the lady I talked to was super helpful but not crazy about the booking a fifth phantom person idea, which is fine because I was thinking about the Yacht Club anyway so we booked a Deluxe Suite with a bunk. I asked several questions about the Yacht Club and agree, compared to the prices of the Haven on NCL, this looks like a GREAT deal and I believe it will be a much more enjoyable experience than the Vista, and competitively priced against Vista as well. And you get so much more.

We looked at those rooms as well and I am not worried as people no-show all of the time.

... the lady I talked to was super helpful but not crazy about the booking a fifth phantom person idea...

Also, did you book the 5th person or not? Four people booked in a five person cabin stands an, albeit small, chance of later being moved to a four person cabin if someone comes along and wants to book five. That was hulksmash's point.

The stateroom we got has the square in it representing the third bunk in the deck map key. Good point on the being moved but there were only three deluxe suites left so hopefully that will not be the case and I was quite clear with her why we wanted that room besides it being YC. I am not saying the no show will be a problem. And that it wasn't why I didn't book it. Just that she seemed to be hesitant to help me with that. If I wanted to then, I would have booked it on my own afterwards on the web site.

Thanks. We are looking forward to it. I think riclop was saying more so than Carnival. On paper, it definitely looks that way. And I am so indecisive. Last night my wife said of the YC, but we can still eat in the MDR too, right? That's fun. So I may look at rebooking and booking the 5th person for a whirlpool suite if we don't think we'd use the YC a lot. Still, I'd like to at least try it once to see what its like and the price for 4 in a Deluxe Suite is the same a standard balcony on the Harmony of the Seas and only $1,000 more total than Carnival balcony room (no drinks included) and NCL's Getaway balcony room (with UBP and dining package. So I think we'll stick with that.