man overboard!

jennyb1265

Very sad...I knew when I read the story it had to be someone from a balcony.

Just curious: When the cruise experiences an unexpected travel delay due to something like this, do guests receive any comps or anything?

I wouldn't think so. It really is beyond Carnival's control and I think most normal people would accept that. Of course, one can expect to see abnormal passengers at Guest Services demanding compensation.

On newer ships.

Makes sense.

Among North American lines, only Disney has installed such equipment.

--And Carnival, of course....at least on newer ships. I saw it on a Conquest-class, either Freedom or Conquest herself.

Kudos to Carnival for getting a search boat in the water.

Amazingly enough in ten cruises I've never had a man overboard situation or a medical evac happen....whew....but during one of the Behind the Fun tours I've done, we were told that each ship has a "ready" boat that is supposed to be deployable within 5 minutes in case of a person overboard emergency. They're also used to investigate and pick up refugees or others stranded in the ocean.

Amazingly enough in ten cruises I've never had a man overboard situation or a medical evac happen....whew....but during one of the Behind the Fun tours I've done, we were told that each ship has a "ready" boat that is supposed to be deployable within 5 minutes in case of a person overboard emergency. They're also used to investigate and pick up refugees or others stranded in the ocean.

I know there were some CC's on Oasis when the guy jump to the lifeboat and then fell. They said they had a search boat in the water in about 4 minutes flying around the back of Oasis getting to the other side to look for the guy. Never found him. I am sure it is honestly the only chance if they actually survived the fall.

I don't know if the weather is bad and seas at a certain height if they wouldn't launch do to possibly hurting main ship in process and not wanting to have the potential crew loss. Just wait for assistance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Was just on the April 10-14 Victory cruise and had the "man overboard, port side" call around 1:30 am as we sailed from Key West toward Cozumel. Terrifying considering two weeks earlier someone went over and was never found. We circled for two hours and requests were made that if someone threw a large object overboard to please say so, they wouldn't be in trouble, but nothing. They called all passengers and crew to cabins and the stewards did a room by room headcount before we were finally told everyone was accounted for around 3:30am. Sucked some A hole did this. We were gad that somehow our 5 y/o slept through the entire thing, I'm sure many others weren't so lucky

Knowingly making a false man overboard report should be a felony...

I agree if it was reported knowing it didn't happen, it is wrong.

However it could be less straightforward than that. If you see something fall by your balcony out of the corner of your eye, and are not sure what it was, should you report it?

Throwing something overboard shouldn't be allowed, period.