Last minute cancellation, need advice!

Gistfamily

A full travel insurance policy will typically cost from 5 to 10% of the amount you specify as the trip cost for a couple under 70. The payback for self-insured people therefore is from 10 to 20 cruises without any kind of incident if you are considering only the trip cancellation portion. That may make you feel better if you've gone on ten to twenty cruises without it. :)

I buy it primarily for the medical coverage, and usually including trip cancellation is only a few dollars more. Self insuring is definitely an option; you just have to evaluate the risks and what you are comfortable with. I'm not comfortable with incurring tens of thousands in medical bills should something happen while on a cruise, so I always buy it now.

Chase, United Explorer. It's full coverage, but only if you book with that card.

Hasn't it always been coverage up to the amount booked on the card?

Interested, because we rely on this perk for our cruises....using Sapphire or Chase United.

My doctor did not want me to cruise.

I had knee surgery the week after I got home from my cruise.

I was not in a ton of pain. But was uncomfortable. Sat down and cried on the pier in Cozumel because I could not keep up.

If I could get on board in a wheelchair I would sit on my balcony all week even if I had to pay for room service!!! I cruise in suites so I could have Le Bistro in the room. Sounds ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife broke her arm and now must have surgery Monday. Her doctor says she cannot go on our cruise on the Getaway April 16th. I have talked to my TA and the only thing NCL will do is refund port fees, taxes and gratuities. I understand their position but has anyone received more from NCL. No travel insurance because i was too cheap. Thank You

If I were you, I would wait until April 14 to see how your wife's arm feels. If it doesn't feel too bad, go on the cruise. If your wife is in too much pain, then cancel the cruise. Then check with your credit card to see if they cover, and also write a letter to NCL.

If you decide to cancel, make sure to contact NCL. DO NOT be a NO SHOW! You will lose any chance of a refund, or future credit.

I always buy insurance, since you never know what happens! I spent 7,000 for a suite in Feb and purchased the insurance for $225ish...long story short, my dad passed away 2 days before departure ..rebooked for April 18..

My sister in law broke her arm right before her cruise too. She told the doc that it was not gonna stop her from going and he had to do what he had to do to get her on the ship. It was not advised that she go but he did what he needed to do and other than no pool or beach the whole cruise and alittle uncomfortableness she had a great time!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Oh and to add.....on a seperate cruise she tore her rotator cuff while in Cozumel on a moped. A dog ran out in front of her and she swerved into the side of the rode. Fell right on her arm and shoulder. Went to hospital, was put in a sling (or cast, cant remember) and went on the rest of the cruise. Nothing stops that lady!! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

My wife broke her arm and now must have surgery Monday. Her doctor says she cannot go on our cruise on the Getaway April 16th. I have talked to my TA and the only thing NCL will do is refund port fees, taxes and gratuities. I understand their position but has anyone received more from NCL. No travel insurance because i was too cheap. Thank You

Why is she not allowed to go on the cruise? Often surgeons don't want you to fly for six weeks after surgery due to the risk of blood clots. But my surgeon said it was fine to take a short flight (60-90 minutes). Can you change your flights to shorter flights with more connections, so she can walk, walk, walk in each airport?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

That won't work, when the second of the two original main passengers on the reservation is changed it becomes a cancellation and rebooking. Changing just one is ok, two is not.

We once added a third passenger and then changed the name of one of the original passengers and then the other was a no show to get around this...

Hasn't it always been coverage up to the amount booked on the card?

Interested, because we rely on this perk for our cruises....using Sapphire or Chase United.

Chase had cancelled that perk, right before our failed cruise ("didn't you get the recent change of terms?" when I called them). They've reinstated it, so I reinstated my card which I cancelled in a fit of anger when they told me I wasn't covered after the fire.

Why is she not allowed to go on the cruise? Often surgeons don't want you to fly for six weeks after surgery due to the risk of blood clots. But my surgeon said it was fine to take a short flight (60-90 minutes). Can you change your flights to shorter flights with more connections, so she can walk, walk, walk in each airport?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Her doctor will not let her fly or travel because of the chance of blood clots. the break is on her upper arm so no practical way to put a cast on it. I have read on this forum that i can change one name in the cabin and she thinks i should and take my son. I don't know if i will but how do i do this?

Her doctor will not let her fly or travel because of the chance of blood clots. the break is on her upper arm so no practical way to put a cast on it. I have read on this forum that i can change one name in the cabin and she thinks i should and take my son. I don't know if i will but how do i do this?

Call NCL and let them know you need to change the second person, it's as easy as that. I have never had them have an issue with that and I had to change out my second person twice on my last cruise.

If driving isn't an option, then I wouldn't risk it. Blood clots can be fatal.

I don't know you or your wife, obviously, but if you think she sincerely wants you to take the trip, and she'll be okay on her own/has someone else to help her with her recovery, you should go. I can only put myself in the same situation, and if I were me with the broken arm I would feel even worse about keeping someone else from going. But I'm also fine with having time to myself, and in that situation I'd probably want to sack out on the couch with Netflix, chocolates and pain pills and be left alone. But you know your wife best.

IIRC you're on my sailing a week from today, so you probably have to make the decision soon.