Lincoln Tunnel or GW Bridge

I posted this on a different thread, then I found the general question one. Does anyone have any recommendation for driving to the NYC pier on a weekday from NJ? We are coming from CNY, thru PA and NJ. AAA routes us thru the Lincoln Tunnel. The last time we did this (on a Sunday) traffic was bad. Fellow cruisers on the ship advised us to return via the GW bridge and it was much easier (also on a Sunday). I have looked at maps for both and I think the bridge would be easier but would appreciate anyone who is familiar with these routes. Thanks a lot.

I travel from upstate NY (near Albany) and take the GW. It's an easy drive down the West Side Highway to the pier. If you're coming across Jersey on 80, I'd just stay on it (it turns into 95) and take the bridge, rather than dropping down the turnpike to the tunnel. Seems like you'd be backtracking, since the tunnel brings you into Manhattan at 41st and then you have to drive up to 56th.

my advice is......ALWAYS TAKE THE BRIDGE AND ALWAYS TAKE THE LOWER LEVEL. for some reason (and i think that somewhere this is documented) people would rather take the upper level. maybe they think if the bridge collapses they'll hit the water last??!! anyway, because of this insanity....the lower level has 1/3 the traffic.

while on the lower level stay to your left because you are getting off at the WEST SIDE HWY. and this is a left side exit. follow the signs to DOWNTOWN MANHATTAN. you will drive with the hudson river on your right (by the way this is a much NICER route than the tunnel). at the end of the hwy stay to your right and follow signs to the cruise ships.

We are coming from CNY, thru PA and NJ. AAA routes us thru the Lincoln Tunnel.

1 question. If you are coming from NY why would you drive through PA and NJ? What part of CNY are you coming from?

Also, I disagree, with the above posters. Lincoln Tunnel is always better than GWB...The lower level is def. better than upper level but the amount of trucks that pass thru each day, there is always a backup...plus you are going farther up and then all the way back down. Just my 2cents.

We also come from central NY and go to PA.Map directions tell us this is the most direct and quickest route. We also have friends in PA that we leave our car with and take a limo into NYC.First time they went by way of the tunnell and the second time by way of the bridge. I thought the bridge way was faster and easier.(but what do I know-I was not driving.LOL).I totally understand the logistics of coming to the port via PA and NJ.

Laura

i remember 1 year one of my kids went to a sleep away camp in pa and we visited him via upstate new york. anyway.....not to beat a dead horse but the OP mentioned all the truck traffic on the bridge? well after 9/11 all the truck trafic is diverted automatically to the upper level. also, you aren't going out of the way once in new york....you are going south on the west side hwy. on the contrary...if you enter new york from the lincoln tunnel you could encounter way more traffic going north on the west side hwy.

I thought I replied to this earlier - before it was moved. I assume you're coming across PA and NJ on 80 (CNY - do you take 81 to 80? that's the route I'd take from CNY.) I'd stay on 80 (it turns into 95) and go over the GW and drop down the West Side Highway to the piers. It's fairly easy. If you want the tunnel, you have to drop down the NJ turnpike to exit 16 (state route 3) for the tunnel; it brings you into Manhattan around 41st street, then you have to drive up the West Side to 56th. You're backtracking. I'd opt for the bridge.

The answer to your Q changes everyday. I recomend that when you are are at a point in NJ before you have to make a choice (Route 80 v. Route 3) you start listening to all 3 of these radio stations:

• 880 am traffic on the 8's
  • 1010 am traffic on the 1's and
  • NJ 101.5 traffic every 15 minutes.

Then take whatever crossing has the fewest delays.

If everything is equal, I'd go with the Bridge to the West Side Highway b/c I hate midtown traffic & all those lights / cabs / pedestrians, but that's just me.

Archived