Confused with availability showing

Jetlagged787

I was under the impression that the category 'Guarantee' meant that you would be allocated a stateroom at the discretion of NCL. I am looking at the availability of balconies on a sailing and all are showing 'Sold Out' yet the category of 'Guarantee' is still available. How can that be?

NCL_zpsobdggcr7.png

It's possible that some travel agencies have blocked out cabins that are not sold that may be coming back into inventory. You wouldn't be able to pick which cabin you want, so they are listed as guarantee. This may not be the fully accurate explanation, as I'm paraphrasing what a travel agent relative told me some time ago.

I was under the impression that the category 'Guarantee' meant that you would be allocated a stateroom at the discretion of NCL. I am looking at the availability of balconies on a sailing and all are showing 'Sold Out' yet the category of 'Guarantee' is still available. How can that be?

You are guaranteed a balcony or better.

So with no balconies apparently being available, presumably they would have to allocate a suite?

Not necessarily - there may actually BE balconies coming back into inventory. The guarantee means that you will definitely get at least a balcony. You won't get to pick which balcony, and it's possible you could get a better room - you definitely won't get less than a balcony.

So with no balconies apparently being available, presumably they would have to allocate a suite?

That would be one way.

Another would be for NCL to identify someone in a balcony who paid full price, offer them an upsell to a suite, and then place the guarantee person into the vacated balcony cabin.

That would be one way.

Another would be for NCL to identify someone in a balcony who paid full price, offer them an upsell to a suite, and then place the guarantee person into the vacated balcony cabin.

Exactly. Think of how many people may upsell. They can sell as many balcony or inside guarantees as they have rooms left. Last minute folks are more likely to book an inexpensive interior (or a cheap balcony) than a pricier suite or specialty balcony.

Even if they can't upsell previously booked customers, it's still likely easier to sell a guarantee balcony. They can always upgrade the guarantee if they can't find any takers.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Is there a website that shows all the sold and all the available cabins on a cruise?

No.

NCL's system only shows maximum of 15 available cabins in each category even if there were more available so there is no way for any external site to get any more specific data than that.

Also because of the group blocks by different TAs a cabin can be shown booked on one site but available on another.