Ecstasy or Elation?

Aubreysmom09

My parents asked if we wanted to go on a cruise during very specific time frame in December during the start of the holidays. Essentially leaving us with the choices of Ecstasy out of Charleston or Elation out of Jacksonville. I've only been on the Valor on Carnival. I know nothing about these 2 ships except that they are older sister ships. I need input on which one may be better? Elation is a bit less, and 2 hour further drive which isn't a big deal.It will be 4 adults and 1 kid. Give me the good, bad, and ugly.....

The Elation is going to have a months dry dock in September.... lots of new things such as new carpet, paint, tile, etc. and updating, I also chose her for my end of the year cruise just because she be all cleaned and new like......they are adding things in her such as the Alchemy bar, Guys Burgers and a few other things can't recall right now.

The Elation is going to have a months dry dock in September.... lots of new things such as new carpet, paint, tile, etc. and updating, I also chose her for my end of the year cruise just because she be all cleaned and new like......they are adding things in her such as the Alchemy bar, Guys Burgers and a few other things can't recall right now.

That's a big perk. My husband likes Guy's so that will make him happy.

Ecstasy just got the 2.0 upgrades in January, and I've heard the service team on there now is out of this world. I just got off the Splendor and I heard several times from former Ecstasy passengers that the service buried the Splendor's (which, IMO, was pretty good. Not my favorite, but good).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With a 8 year old does each ship have slides or water play area besides the pool?

Yes, both ships have slides. All of Carnival has the slides.

I have been on both ships and they are virtually the same ship. I would pick by the least expensive or the best itinerary. I personally don't think the ship makes that much difference.

Yes, both ships have slides. All of Carnival has the slides.

I have been on both ships and they are virtually the same ship. I would pick by the least expensive or the best itinerary. I personally don't think the ship makes that much difference.

The Elation is about $500 less, and we are getting outside rooms. Both ships have the same itinerary. I am leaning more toward the Elation since it will go in to dry dock this fall, and be newer.

The Elation is about $500 less, and we are getting outside rooms. Both ships have the same itinerary. I am leaning more toward the Elation since it will go in to dry dock this fall, and be newer.

$500 gets you a lot of fun onboard....or great excursions.

If you are coming form Richmond (according to your signature) its about 180 miles further to Jax than to Charleston. Which could be up to 4+ hrs longer depending on I95 traffic which can get downright awful between the GA line and the I95/I26 interchange in SC.

If you are coming form Richmond (according to your signature) its about 180 miles further to Jax than to Charleston. Which could be up to 4+ hrs longer depending on I95 traffic which can get downright awful between the GA line and the I95/I26 interchange in SC.

I live in Richmond. It was a nightmare all the way from I95/I26 to Richmond on Friday. NC was the worst. WE'll be driving late night. WE drive to Orlando about 8 times a year, and to my house in GA often. Charleston's closeness is a big perk though.

I think right now we are leaning towards the Ecstasy because it has the waterworks area, and I don't know if the Elation is getting it. Normally it wouldn't matter, because we leave our kid at home with the grandparents she is coming along this time. She will need the play area to keep her busy.

we have recently sailed both ships!

can't go wrong either way

the ecstasy already has most the changes that Elation will get

The ecstasy has as others have pointed out, a LOT more balcony cabins that are not mini suite or suites so if you want a balcony its the way to go. It has the extensive kids water park up top too.

Now Elation I think will have that waterpark added after its drydock, Until then it only has the old time waterslide at the forward pool. We sailed the Elation this feb and it was GREAT though. The crew seemed genuinely happy to be on board and were very welcoming. We had a great cruise, they did sqeeze Freeport into a five day schedule which gave us the same itinerary on a five day cruise that we had on Elation at Halloween last year.

SO one thing to consider, if anyone is prone to seasickness, or even gets a bit queasy, sailing out of Charleston, can be kind of rough in December or any time in the winter.

Sailing out of jax can be that same way too, but you're gonna be in the Caribbean a lot quicker so if anyone has problems, you may want to do the Jacksonville cruise.

or for sure get the patches

We like jaxport better than Charleston, as far as getting on board ship. Charleston though is a destination in itself though so both have benefits.

IF ANYONE has a handicap tag or placard, you can park for free in Charleston. In jaxport only accessible equipped vehicles get to park free. Like a wheel chair ramped van or something like that.

I think we have been out of C about 5 times, we sailed INTO Charleston once, and we've saild from Jax about a dozen times.

our next cruise Elation aug 17th for 4 days, and we are doing Ecstasy dec 16th so come with us!

ken:D

we have recently sailed both ships!

can't go wrong either way

the ecstasy already has most the changes that Elation will get

The ecstasy has as others have pointed out, a LOT more balcony cabins that are not mini suite or suites so if you want a balcony its the way to go. It has the extensive kids water park up top too.

Now Elation I think will have that waterpark added after its drydock, Until then it only has the old time waterslide at the forward pool. We sailed the Elation this feb and it was GREAT though. The crew seemed genuinely happy to be on board and were very welcoming. We had a great cruise, they did sqeeze Freeport into a five day schedule which gave us the same itinerary on a five day cruise that we had on Elation at Halloween last year.

SO one thing to consider, if anyone is prone to seasickness, or even gets a bit queasy, sailing out of Charleston, can be kind of rough in December or any time in the winter.

Sailing out of jax can be that same way too, but you're gonna be in the Caribbean a lot quicker so if anyone has problems, you may want to do the Jacksonville cruise.

or for sure get the patches

We like jaxport better than Charleston, as far as getting on board ship. Charleston though is a destination in itself though so both have benefits.

IF ANYONE has a handicap tag or placard, you can park for free in Charleston. In jaxport only accessible equipped vehicles get to park free. Like a wheel chair ramped van or something like that.

I think we have been out of C about 5 times, we sailed INTO Charleston once, and we've saild from Jax about a dozen times.

our next cruise Elation aug 17th for 4 days, and we are doing Ecstasy dec 16th so come with us!

ken:D

When I googled Elation dry dock it said 2.0 upgrades and didn't say anything about water works, but the ship bellow it said waterworks. I know it will be needed with an obsessed girl on a cruise to celebrate her 8th birthday.

My parents are riding down with us, and my mom is handicapped. That's good to know about the ports. I had no clue about that.

The ports are Nassau and Princess Cay on a 5 night. I've never been to Princess Cay, so something new to look forward to. Both ships have the same itinerary.

Neither they are 2 old clunkers.

I would choose something else, but with the days off my dad has the only openings are Ecstasy, Elation, or Norwegian Sky. I think maybe the Fantasy may be leaving the same day also. His company is only closed a few days during the holidays.

shoot I'd leave the night of the 20th and stay somewhere up 95 just a couple hours from Charleston or just below Raleigh.

that way, you're not sitting in port bored, OR having a long drive to get on the ship

we do that all the time for cape Canaveral cruises, we stay in Jacksonville at the hotel we stay at when we cruise from jax, that's about 2 hours from the port in cape c and works perfectly

However, not sure what info pages you are looking at but the Ecstasy looks like its Freeport and Nassau on that cruise? On the 21st cruise the Elation shows Nassau and Half Moon Cay.

shoot I'd leave the night of the 20th and stay somewhere up 95 just a couple hours from Charleston or just below Raleigh.

that way, you're not sitting in port bored, OR having a long drive to get on the ship

we do that all the time for cape Canaveral cruises, we stay in Jacksonville at the hotel we stay at when we cruise from jax, that's about 2 hours from the port in cape c and works perfectly

However, not sure what info pages you are looking at but the Ecstasy looks like its Freeport and Nassau on that cruise? On the 21st cruise the Elation shows Nassau and Half Moon Cay.

I'm on the Carnival site it says for 12/21/17 Nassau, Princess Cay for Elation, and Princess Cay and Nassau for Ecstasy. I see that the Elation is going to HMC on 12/11.

How handicapped is your mother? Princess Cays is a tender port. I have been there with Princess, but don't remember if they have local tenders or use the ships, but they certainly didn't have the roll-on capability of the big tenders at HMC. EM

How handicapped is your mother? Princess Cays is a tender port. I have been there with Princess, but don't remember if they have local tenders or use the ships, but they certainly didn't have the roll-on capability of the big tenders at HMC. EM

She has lung issues. Not wheel chair bound yet. That's good to know though.

Elation has a pool with a slide that dumps you into the pool. Must be 48" tall to use it. Ecstasy has the same pool but the slide has been removed and the waterworks with larger slide added aft. But not another pool. If swimming is the issue, either ship will do. EM