Mariner discount on beverages

grayjay

As on our last few cruises we always had a beverage package due to a promo I still don't know exactly how the mariner discount for 3* and 4* mariners works. I do know that it is a 25 % / 50% discount for example in regard to specialty restaurants, but what about beverages? Does the discount work at any bar or just the Explorations Café? Any alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink or just a few? I know the discount is excluded for beverage cards so it would be worthwhile to pay as you go which is what we'd prefer anyway.

Thank your for your help.

It applies to Explorations Cafe, individual bottles of alcohol, wine by the glass, and Master Cellars packages. It probably applies to other items which I cannot presently recall. It does not, I think, apply to liquor by the glass. The best thing to do is go to HAL's website, "Already Booked", Mariner's Society, and Rewards. It will give you a detailed list.

It applies to Explorations Cafe, individual bottles of alcohol, wine by the glass, and Master Cellars packages ...
It definitely does not apply to wine by the glass or single bottle, or beer, or Cellar Master's packages. I believe it does not apply to liquor by the bottle. It does apply to Admiral's/Navigator's wine packages and wine/beer/soda from the room minibar.

See https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/Holland-America-cruises-Mariner-Reward-Chart_US-CA.pdf

Edited by catl331

Wine packages are discounted as is the in room mini bar. The coffee and other beverages at the Explorations Cafe are discounted. Wine by the glass or bottle is regular price. Alcoholic drinks, sodas and other items from the bars and lounges are regular price.

I'd be delighted to get a 4 star discount on drinks, but other than happy hour, there's nothing.

It definitely does not apply to wine by the glass or single bottle, or beer, or Cellar Master's packages. I believe it does not apply to liquor by the bottle. It does apply to Admiral's/Navigator's wine packages and wine/beer/soda from the room minibar.

See https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/Holland-America-cruises-Mariner-Reward-Chart_US-CA.pdf

I am reading that 3* get a 25% discount on individual bottles, and wine by the glass. However, the PDF is difficult to read, but that is what it appears to say. Also, while we were still 3* on the Oosterdam, we ordered up a few bottles of wine for a suite party, and we did receive the 25% discount.

I am reading that 3* get a 25% discount on individual bottles, and wine by the glass. However, the PDF is difficult to read, but that is what it appears to say. Also, while we were still 3* on the Oosterdam, we ordered up a few bottles of wine for a suite party, and we did receive the 25% discount.
Click on the + sign in the lower right corner to enlarge the pdf. It clearly says " ... (excluding wine cards, Cellar Master packages, individual bottles, wine by-the-glass, and beverage gift cards.) "

Also, the Mariner FAQ's say:

23. What wine packages are eligible for the 3-, 4- and 5-star discounts?

Navigator, Admiral and Compass Wine packages are applicable. Wine cards, Cellar Master packages, individual bottle purchases, wine-by-the-glass and beverage gift cards are excluded. A standard 15% Beverage Service Charge is applied based on the original price of the wine package. The loyalty discount does not apply to the 15% Beverage Service Charge.

We have never gotten the discount on wine by-the-glass or single bottle. It looks to me like you were the beneficiaries of an error on the Oosterdam.

edit: you posted #7 while I was still typing this post.

Edited by jtl513

Click on the + sign in the lower right corner to enlarge the pdf. It clearly says " ... (excluding wine cards, Cellar Master packages, individual bottles, wine by-the-glass, and beverage gift cards.) "

It looks to me like you were the beneficiaries of an error on the Oosterdam.

edit: you posted #7 while I was still typing this post.

Thanks for pointing out the + sign. Also did not see that. Re the Oosterdam, because we order six bottles for a party, I think they gave us the 25% as a "wine package" discount.

Re bottles of liquor, I don't see this on the Mariner's award sheet, but somehow I remember a Mariners' discount on that. Anyone? Maybe this was wishful thinking.

p..s. - Although the pdf that I gave the link to above says just "Explorations Cafe", the discount does apply in the Grand Dutch Cafe on the Koningsdam for non-alcoholic beverges.

That's (almost) perfect - the Dutch Café is our favourite spot on the Koningsdam and we like it much better than the cramped Explorations Café in the Crow's Nest.

It's only almost perfect because we'd have loved to get a discount ( besides Happy Hour) on sodas, juices or glasses of wine as a loyalty reward. In that Celebrity/RCL offers much more because we get free drinks during Social Hour and free specialty coffees and teas in their "Exploration" Café. We love that perk - but still cruise Holland America most of the time now.

As on our last few cruises we always had a beverage package due to a promo I still don't know exactly how the mariner discount for 3* and 4* mariners works. I do know that it is a 25 % / 50% discount for example in regard to specialty restaurants, but what about beverages? Does the discount work at any bar or just the Explorations Café? Any alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink or just a few? I know the discount is excluded for beverage cards so it would be worthwhile to pay as you go which is what we'd prefer anyway.

Thank your for your help.

I have used the beverage discount for nonalcoholic beverages in exploration and for the wine packages.