Fall cruising in caribbean

Shih-tzu

Posting this here on this board but this is about fall cruising in general.....

What type of weather can be expected and sea heights? (with the exception of hurricanes of course). Are there places/areas that are better than others for nicer weather at that time of year? How about water temperatures for beach swimming?

Looking at late October or November (only because there's less chance of a hurricane) but I do realize the ships avoid the storms, change ports, etc. Just don't want 7 days of rain or not being able to enjoy a beach or two.

Looking to cruise - 7 to 14 days....

For cruises out of New York....I suspect the sailing may be quite choppy enroute to the Caribbean - anyone who has done this willing to comment?

I'm not afraid of the odd movement of the ship or anything, but don't want to be on a rough ride for days that isn't enjoyable or really poor weather where all I get to see of the ports is wet feet and the underside of an umbrella. :cool:

For cruises out of New York....I suspect the sailing may be quite choppy enroute to the Caribbean - anyone who has done this willing to comment?
We did the New York to San Juan run mid Winter and it was horrendous. Draw a line between the two cities... That's the Atlantic Ocean! On the sea day southbound, the pool was emptied, not by the crew but sloshed out by the ocean. Most passengers were ill. We eventually needed to struggle to the infirmary for relief.

The sea day northbound wasn't as bad. But do be aware that it could be bad.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

What type of weather can be expected and sea heights? (with the exception of hurricanes of course). Are there places/areas that are better than others for nicer weather at that time of year? How about water temperatures for beach swimming?

Looking at late October or November (only because there's less chance of a hurricane) but I do realize the ships avoid the storms, change ports, etc. Just don't want 7 days of rain or not being able to enjoy a beach or two.

I'm not afraid of the odd movement of the ship or anything, but don't want to be on a rough ride for days that isn't enjoyable or really poor weather where all I get to see of the ports is wet feet and the underside of an umbrella. :cool:

Hurricane season does not mean that there will be a hurricane or that there will be any rain at all, let alone seven days of it. Hurricane season - which is from June through November - means that the conditions are most favorable during that time of the year for storms to develop, but not a guarantee that the weather will be bad. Perhaps we've been fortunate, but in 25 years of cruising at all times of the year - including hurricane season - we've never encountered a hurricane or had our cruise interrupted or rerouted as a result of one.

Sea heights and sea conditions in general are unpredictable and can change daily based on wind and weather conditions in any given area at any given time. No way to say that it will be rough or calm simply based on the time of year alone.

The weather in the Caribbean is always hot and beaches are sunny any comfortable. And as to that time of year, you will more likely than not have very nice weather, and unless there is a significant storm system in the area, rain will be transient and localized.

Relax and enjoy.

We don't do cruises out of cold weather ports like NY for 7 days - you just don't get enough warm time. It's worth the $250 to fly to FL.

Yes, the seas are going to be rougher. I live in Norf. VA and our highs could be anywhere from 55-75+ so there is no way to predict the possible range of weather.

Now if you go to south FL, with the exception of a storm, the weather is pretty consistent and your ports will be in the 80s.

The coldest cruise we ever had left out of Miami in mid January. The high was 63. The Keys and Cozumel were 72. Water temp 72. It is "rainy season" still in October/November so daily showers will be more likely than winter/spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, if there is no approaching storms, or frontal systems, or high winds, it can be calm as glass. "hurricane season" means nothing for general weather. It simply means the seas are warm enough to feed a storm.

Once you are IN the actual Caribbean, it's hot year round. Bahamas and Bermuda are NOT in the Caribbean, so plan your itinerary accordingly!

The weather out of NY that time of year will naturally be colder than summer sailings but by mid-day the next day after departure you will be off the coast of the Carolina's and the weather should be milder. We did a Christmas cruise from NY and by 1:00 on day two it was 70 degrees and did not get cold until the same time on the last day prior to our return to NY. However, I agree that on 7 night sailings that cuts into the enjoyment of the hot weather expected on a cruise. Ours out of NY in the colder months have been 8-9 nights so it makes up for that.

As to rougher seas, again that is not a given, but certainly in the winter it can be more likely in the Atlantic. We did have some rough seas coming back on the Christmas cruise due to a rain storm off the Carolina's. But the worst seas we ever hit were en route from the Panama canal to Jamaica on another Christmas cruise where we encountered 25 -30 ft. head on seas on Christmas night. Oddly there was not a storm associated with it - at least not in our proximity. By the next day all was calm and all was bright....

Weather/sea condition questions are always tough. Think about your local weather forecasts and how they are seldom accurate more then a few days in advance. Now consider cruising over an area of thousands of square miles over several days or weeks. There is just no way to predict. That time of year still has hurricane or strong storm risk. Even a storm that is 500 or perhaps 1000 miles from a ship can have a huge impact on "long swells" which is what makes a ship move in ways many cruisers do not appreciate. As to cruising out of NYC, we have had fabulous weather and seas going out of NYC in late October (did it on the Regal Princess the last two years). As to ships avoiding storms and hurricanes..that is mostly true but the embarkation port does not usually get moved :).

So here is my take on your question..based on over forty years of extensive cruising. Choose the cruise you want and take your chances. As always, minimize your risk by flying into the embarkation port at least 1 day early. Yes, you might get some rain...but 7 or even 5 days would be rare. There is always weather risk to any vacation (whether on sea or land) and you just have to accept the risk and hope for the best.

Hank

For a seven day cruise out of New York, you are not going to get to the Caribbean. It is going to be a Florida and Bahamas cruise which means that it is going to be entirely in the Atlantic. You are correct that it can be very choppy most of the way down and back. If you want a seven day Caribbean cruise you are going to have to leave from Miami, San Juan, Bridgetown, St. Martin or St. Thomas.