Land Vs. Cruise - help me decide....

Cruise Junky

We currently have five nights booked in May in Cabo at the Westin. We're now thinking of switching it to 7 days on The Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera same time frame. Cost wise....the cruise is around $500 cdn more for a Balcony on the Caribe. Extra two days on the cruise.....just can't make up my mind what to do.

I just got off the Sapphire Princess (Mexican Riviera) and it was WONDERFUL! I highly recommend the cruise!

In September, I went to an all inclusive resort, and I posted my comparison... I'll copy it below, if it helps:

Over the Labor Day weekend, I visited the Ocean Blue Beach and Golf Resort, in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic)… It was an all-inclusive resort, rated a 5 out of 6 (rated by Apple Vacations), which I think is comparable to a Princess Cruise.

Price—In this particular case, the AI (all-inclusive) was better priced than Princess... however, I feel that I get more for my money with Princess

Food—Princess wins BY FAR in this category

Service—Another win for Princess

Pools—The AI wins hands down… two HUGE pools (and swim up bars), and tons of deck chairs around the pool

Entertainment—Another hands-down winner for Princess

Alcohol—because it is included in the price, the AI wins

Overall, I had a wonderful time on this all-inclusive vacation… It is a beautiful resort!!!

However, I am still convinced that CRUISING is the BEST way to vacation!!

I think the only reason a land vacation could be better is if there are lots and lots of interesting things to do and see. One day in port usually leaves you wishing for more. But, since this would be a return trip to the same location for you, I'd imagine you've seen all the highlights. So I would side with the cruise also.

There isn't a whole lot to do in Cabo for that long. It's fine for a day or two, but that's about it. The water is freezing cold and the surrounding area is so desert-like - very barren and dusty. Unless drinking all day and night is appealling to you and laying around is your thing, I'd go for the cruise any day! ;)

I would vote for the cruise too. But in general, there are advantages to both.

If you are visiting an area that has a lot to do and see, and you want to sample everything the area has to offer, then I would vote for a land vacation. The problem with a cruise is that there will be a lot of things you cannot do simply because of a lack of time. For example, in Hawaii I'd like to go SCUBA diving. Problem is that the dive boats leave very early in the morning ... before the cruise ship even docks. Also, you have to pick and choose the things you want to do in each port. You can't do it all ... or even scratch the surface on a port stop with the cruise.

But, a cruise is wonderful if you want to sample a lot of different islands and see what each offers. You also get to visit multiple places without having to pack and unpack each time ... and worry about where you are going to stay and where you are going to eat. A cruise is a vacation that can be done with little planning. You know where you're gonna rest your head each night and you know you can always get a good meal. Hence, other than excursions, you have very little legwork to do in planning your vacation.

A cruise, while not all-inclusive, is pretty much inclusive. Except for shore excursions, spa treatments, liquor and soda, and tips ... pretty much everything is included. Thus, your budgeting process is much easier. Especially if you are traveling with children, a cruise will be a lot cheaper since most of their "expenses" will be included in the fare. Kids are always hungry, and that can be a real budget-buster with many land vacations.

So, whether to take a cruise or a land vacation really depends upon what your goals for the trip are ... and what's available to do at the particular place you are thinking of spending several days. If you're not really familiar with the destination, a cruise initially might be your better investment. It will allow you to investigate a bit of your prospective destination, as well as a whole bunch of others. If you find a place that you really like ... a place that seems to offer a whole lot and you feel that you would like to spend more time there, a cruise is the perfect way to discover that place and you can always plan a land vacation there in the future. I've discovered several places on some of my cruises that I'd like to go back to on a land vacation some day.

Hope this at least gives you something to think about. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We were on the Diamond Princess Mex Riviera sailing last April 2005 and Cabo is the port we said "we could do a land vacation here". Trouble is...I'm a cruise junky too and can't imagine staying in one place for a whole week. Nothing like being out at sea.

You made a GREAT choice. The Mex Riv sailing was great. We went ATVing in Cabo (on a dirt "terrain park"...lots of fun...and took the ATV's down to the beach), horseback riding with Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan and visited friends at their timeshare in PV. I loved the west coast scenery. It was spectacular.

Enjoy!

We go on one land vacation and one cruise vacation. Our land vacation is 7 days in St Maarten. This vacation is just for us to relax and do nothing. When we are on a cruise everything is at a certain time so we are always rushing trying to get everything in and need a couple more days from work to rest once we get back home.

Archived