Getaway sofabed comfort

ttnc4me

On the Escape last year, my 13yo son slept on the sofa bed in a 3 person balcony cabin and was miserable. If I remember correctly, all they did was add a sheet to the top of the sofa cushion.

We are now booked on the Getaway and I want him to have a better experience. Is there any way we can either bring something, or they can add something to make it more comfortable? It was hard as a rock previously.

Just took a cruise on the Getaway a few weeks ago. Our adult daughter was with us and slept on the sofa, she complained it was uncomforable and we called housekeeping for a mattress topper and they brought it to us that day. It actually looked like two "egg crate" foam toppers. She slept comfortably with those on the sofa.

On the Escape last year, my 13yo son slept on the sofa bed in a 3 person balcony cabin and was miserable. If I remember correctly, all they did was add a sheet to the top of the sofa cushion.

We are now booked on the Getaway and I want him to have a better experience. Is there any way we can either bring something, or they can add something to make it more comfortable? It was hard as a rock previously.

Ugh! We are 3 adult women booked on Escape for our annual girls' cruise. We are experienced cruisers (20 plus cruises but only our 2nd cruise on NCL) who usually book an inside cabin, but we booked a balcony this time because an inside was only $300 less total for the 3 of us.

My sister usually takes the bunk and finds it very comfortable. I'm now scared she (or any of us) won't like the sofa bed. I assumed the sofa bed had a "real" mattress on it.

From this thread, I'm guessing it does not.

I'll try ordering the egg-crate topper (I did that on a Princess cruise with DH for our queen bed), but I know it's not guaranteed.

Wondering if we should switch to a 4 person room...

Any advice?

Update:

I called the guest access department and ordered an egg-crate topper for the sofa bed. Unfortunately, they weren't able to send me any kind of email confirmation noting my request... So we'll see.

If it isn't there, just ask the room steward. You'll get one.

• 5 months later...

Update to my May 2017 post on this thread regarding the sofa bed on our Sept 23rd Escape cruise.

We had a 3 person balcony cabin. My sister (46 yrs old) slept on sofa bed and found it to be uncomfortable.

Though, I had pre-ordered an egg-crate topper, I still had to ask the steward for it, but he happily provided it.

The problem with the sofa bed, and I am using the term "bed" very loosely, is that it does not have what I would call a "real" mattress. It is simply the seat cushion of the sofa which is a rough-textured fabric and very hard. They only put a flat sheet over it and tuck it underneath the bottom, but the rough texture of the cushion is scratchy to your skin even through the sheet and pajamas.

Even after the egg crate topper, my sister had to put the extra comforter (found in the drawer below) on top of it as an extra layer of cushion.

The sofa bed may be okay for younger children or adults who don't have any back or joint issues. After a few days, her back was aching from sleeping on that thing.