Msc divina review with pics

hockeyguru32

Day 2 April 30th 2017 1st Sea Day

My apologies, I should tell you our Itinerary. We were on an Eastern Caribbean 7 day cruise. We had 2 sea days, Philipsburg St. Maarten, San Juan Puerto Rico, sea day, then Nassau, Bahamas, and back to Miami boooooooo.

My day started out at 6:00am I walked around the ship a bit to explore, and went to Deck 14 to get some pictures, it was a very windy day.

DJI_20170430_062429_zpsl0rxokk9.jpg

In my opinion the BEST part of the ship. I love hearing the wake the ship makes.

Went back to the cabin to see if DW was up and she was and left for breakfast at the buffet. I had scrambled eggs not so good, sausage they were good, croissants good, fruit loops from the kids section shhhhhhhhhhhh and our view from our breakfast table. TIP ALERT if the buffet tables are crowded head back to the AFT we always found tables here empty

DJI_20170430_062652_zpsu1k9rf2o.jpg

After breakfast we headed up to the Aqua park to relax it was tough finding deck loungers at 10:00am and this was constant the entire cruise. We watch loungers being used as book cases, shoe rack, sun tan lotion shelves and no body in them for hours and yes some loungers were not sat in for 2 hours. A pet peeve of mine. We finally found 2 on Deck 15 and relaxed there a bit until lunch.

DJI_20170430_111311_zpshpfbwqss.jpg

We ate lunch at 12:35pm and went back to the cabin for a nap. After our nap we watched a movie in the room and got ready for supper in the MDR. We got to the MDR at 5:55pm and our table mates Larry and Margo were there. We ordered at 6:08pm

20170430_182619_zpsaidjfubp.jpg

DW ordered Turkey Waldorf Salad

20170430_182623_zpswyidfbjz.jpg

I ordered New Orleans Seafood Gumbo apps arrived at 6:25pm.

DW ordered the strip loin Medium and I had the prime rib sorry I lost the picture. Mains arrived at 7:00pm

On sea days it's worth paying the $10 for a guaranteed lounger up by the funnel.

The vouchers work very well, did you also get the 12 free vouchers?

We also get coffee cuddle vouchers as the drinks vouchers aren't good value for soft drinks or hot drinks. We're also going to go with a wine with dinner package on our next trip in November.

Hi ssmea03 no we did not get 12 vouchers free. I only booked Bella experience but I was upgraded to a Fantastica room so not sure if that has anything to do with the free vouchers I purchased 18 prior to the cruise. I have some left over if I go on MSC again

No next April I will shouldn't you be going to the ship lol[emoji1]

sent from above

Yes, we're getting ready. Should be on board by 11.

We still have a bottle of Gberry abt half full. It's great on ice cream.

Ok DW wants me as she puts it "stop clowning around and pack"

To get packing.

See you on two wheels.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On sea days it's worth paying the $10 for a guaranteed lounger up by the funnel.

I didn't know this area existed until I started taking deck photos the last day. We don't sit in the sun to long maybe 4 hours at the most. On this cruise it was very windy on sea day 1 and sea day 2 it rained all day and the last on sea day on Thursday was a nice day

Yes, we're getting ready. Should be on board by 11.

We still have a bottle of Gberry abt half full. It's great on ice cream.

Ok DW wants me as she puts it "stop clowning around and pack"

To get packing.

See you on two wheels.

Cheers.

OMG you're not packed? HAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAAHA now that's too funny I would have been packed 3 weeks ago. So I wonder how do you pack those huge clown shoes in your luggage? I hope you and DW have a great trip let me know how it was please.

Bon Voyage

_DSC0110_zpsdrpvlqhp.jpg

_DSC0109_zpsft4hxgnk.jpg

Monument to the Market Women

We got to spend an hour here in Marigot and I had one thing in mind and only one. My mission if I chose to accept it was to find a French pastrie shop. This review will self destruct if I do not find it....(cue music) Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum da nah nah dah nah nah dah nah nah....What is that I see could it be?

_DSC0100_zpsxum0owop.jpg

OH YES the review will not self destruct I have found the mother of all mother's of pastrie shops (or so I read in reviews) or was it? It was Sarafina's and as I stated read many of reviews it was across the street from the harbour and a 2 minute walk. I could hardly contain myself and I was hoping I wouldn't be disappointed.

We walked in to this open area with a HUGE menu board over head and glass casings of scrumptious morsels of goodness looking at me saying eat me eat me. Oh yes my pretty I'll eat you and your little macaroon too.

_DSC0102_zpscwrutoim.jpg

_DSC0103_zpsnllnskev.jpg

Like seriously how can you NOT resist. Even a diabetic like me had a cheat day (no I'm not insulin dependant) There was so much to choose from and what is what they all looked so good. A lady from behind the counter looks at me and I looked at her like deer in headlights. She greets me bonjour I respond bonjour comment ca vas, she replies ca vas, and that's where my French ends. I start speaking in English. I'll have a chocolate macaroon, one of those strawberry eclaires ...OMG that thing spoke to DW like heroine to an addict. Is that everything sir. No Ill have a raspberry beignet is that all no ill have that tart with the strawberries on it please and a large bottle of water. Is that all sir, oui madame merci beaucoup ...........

_DSC0105_zps7bzadpdi.jpg

Our plate from Iowa, no heaven, no Sarafina's in Marigot St. Martin cost of this lovliness $15.00 USD. Everything was so good words cannot describe all I can say is I'LL BE BACK!!!!!![/quote

How did the patisserie compare to the Piazza del Doge on Divina? Going for a fancy coffee, lemon cello and a cake became a regular afternoon treat on our trip.

Ok nap time over I decided I would take the BDay girl to a fancy restaurantso off to the Black Crab this is where she wanted to go if she wanted to go doa specialty restaurant which she would never do I would take her. Her feelingson specialty restaurants is why pay extra when the MDR is included in thecruise. She is a very frugal gal.

We were seated at 5:57pm, we said au revoir and Vaarwel to St. Martin/StMaarten at 6:04pm see you next April. We ordered our meal at 6:20. We had a nice chat with ourtable mates on our day and what we did. Apps arrived at 6:28pm

20170502_182846_zpso34uj6vp.jpg

DW's Split Pea Soup she said it was hot and good I'm glad she ate it peas are my kryptonite

20170502_182842_zpsbkpjfkcg.jpg

My cured salmon with cream cheese filling. Salmon was good the filling was very rich

20170502_185822_zpsfdcrsr6u.jpg

DW had roasted turkey dinner

20170502_185833_zpsyjjwzzc0.jpg

I had the fisherman's wharf it had white fish, shrimp, clams, bay scallops in a tomato sauce. Mains arrived at 6:57pm

20170502_192331_zps87naqdsj.jpg

Dessert arrived at 7:22pm. We both had the apple pie I wasn't to keen on that. There were a few birthdays in the dining room and the staff sang Happy Birthday to them. Our dinner partners told them it was DW birthday and they said they wished they had known. I did not tell them for one reason. If I let the cat out of the bag and they sang to DW at the table this review may not have happened...kidding DW is shy quiet type like me lol she would not have appreciated being centered out. We were out of the MDR at 7:48pm

Hi, we were on this cruise also, ( I'm the female who was enjoying the rum punch on Bernard's tour) You are capturing the trip experience very well especially Serafina's.

We were assigned dinner in the Villa Rossi dining room but did go to the Black Crab for breakfast and lunch a couple of times.

Keep up the postings, I'm enjoying re-living our most enjoyable cruise!

Mary

Back to the room into my comfy clothes. It was White Party Night so we dressed all in white in preparation to go to the party after the show which started at 9:00pm tonight.

Tonight's show was entitled The Witches of Paris. It was a singing and acrobat themed show. I think I took some video that will be on my new youtube channel after this is finished.

So I asked bday girl if she was ready to go to the white party and she declined all that touring and shopping tuckered her out so back to the cabin we went called it a night.

San Juan was tomorrow and this is my favourite place coming into port and seeing El Morro guarding her entrance and passing the stone walls guarding the city and the big red entrance gate.

Hi, we were on this cruise also, ( I'm the female who was enjoying the rum punch on Bernard's tour) You are capturing the trip experience very well especially Serafina's.

We were assigned dinner in the Villa Rossi dining room but did go to the Black Crab for breakfast and lunch a couple of times.

Keep up the postings, I'm enjoying re-living our most enjoyable cruise!

Mary

Hi Sea Viewer AKA Mary welcome to the review and thank you for replying. If you have any pictures of the Villa Rossi dining room would you please share them I didn't get any of them. It would be much appreciated

Day 5 May 3rd San Juan

I was hoping my brain alarm did not disappoint me I love the port entrance to San Juan out of all the ports this has to be the best one in the Caribbean. Sure enough it didn't I was up early and couldn't wait to get on deck and see where we were. This is the 3rd time we have been to San Juan we didn't have plans for the day we would play it by ear.

Up to deck 14 I went I didn't want to miss seeing and gliding by El Morro guarding the entrance to the port and passing the stone walls that protect San Juan and then the big red door, the entrance to the city.

The last 2 times in San Juan it was very hot an humid today was cooler and overcast and that was ok with me.

_DSC0162_zpswxws7saf.jpg

As I looked at the bridge I yelled at Captain Pier

_DSC0164_zpsquwesxcf.jpg

LAND HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_DSC0165_zpsvbxemige.jpg

I asked the Captain if he could summon the Pilot so the people of San Juan wouldn't think we were pirates and blow us up passing El Morro. Captain Pier obliged see told you he was a nice Captain

_DSC0169_zpswymt24w1.jpg

Getting closer I'm waving the white flag just incase

_DSC0177_zpsgczr0tds.jpg

_DSC0178_zps28zpqhha.jpg

Edited by hockeyguru32

As I waved my white flag I closed my eyes incase they didn't get the message to shoot until you see the whites of their eyes. The sunglasses helped to shield them as well.

_DSC0183_zpsq2fqhm20.jpg

Gorgeous eh? I love history and learning aboutplaces I visit. It always amazes me on how they build anything without thetools we have today. Love this photo how the rays of the sun shine down on thismagical fort.

Edited by hockeyguru32

You're more than welcome lovelearnteach AKA Ken I hope you enjoy her as much as I did she is beautiful inside and out. Crew is friendly and helpful and the Captain is very personable. Day one he stopped and talked to us and asked if this was our first cruise with MSC and we replied yes. He thanked us for choosing MSC and wished us a good time.

I think Sarafina's should be should be the Jail square on a Monopoly board or the chance or community chest cards. Go to Sarafina's, Go Directly do Sarafina's

Your wonderful review is getting me so excited for our turn :).

I love that idea about Sarafina's! I still remember the exact moment of ecstasy when I first bit into that chocolate eclair. My moans of pleasure would have been quite embarrassing if everyone else in the cafe wasn't making the exact same sounds :D. It was like a scene from when Harry Met Sally :D.

Not sure if you can see the red/brownish door/gate in this photo it is in the middle at the waters edge back in the day it use to be the old entrance to San Juan

_DSC0184_zpsnzp4jroo.jpg

What's that I see in the back ground is that a Whale Tail?

_DSC0189_zpsyctwu0ma.jpg

Close to the USCG facility

_DSC0190_zpstfkorbff.jpg

Oh yes it is a Carnival Ship I wonder if I have been on her?

_DSC0191_zpsbxbb61oa.jpg

_DSC0194_zpsqoye1cs6.jpg

Yes it is our old friend the Glory our 3rd cruise we took and our oldest son's first cruise ship he was ever on. Nothing beats the excitement of someone's first cruise. I will get the experience that next April when my youngest son, my sister and 2 nephews go on their first cruise on the Conquest. I think I get more excited for them then I do for myself.

You can join us if you want we are also meeting others we have cruised with before too. Come on it will be fun.

_DSC0193_zpsouupp4fy.jpg

G-L-O-R-Y EH!!!!!!!!! GLORYEH G-L-O-R-Y EH

Your wonderful review is getting me so excited for our turn :).

I love that idea about Sarafina's! I still remember the exact moment of ecstasy when I first bit into that chocolate eclair. My moans of pleasure would have been quite embarrassing if everyone else in the cafe wasn't making the exact same sounds :D. It was like a scene from when Harry Met Sally :D.

Hi again Ken I'm glad this review is doing that. I am also the same way when I read reviews about the cruise ship I've either been on or going on that I haven't sailed on before or new places I haven't been to before. I will definitely be back to Sarafina's with 8 or 10 for sure or even more people with me.

_DSC0196_zpsysbg6ac7.jpg

_DSC0195_zpshyuivhyx.jpg

Ok I had better get back to the cabin it was a bit before 8:00am. DW was up and ready to go get some breakfast she knew I would be up on deck until we docked. So out the cabin we went to Calumet buffet. We were in no hurry to get off the ship. For breakfast I had waffles French toast yogurt croissants and breakfast pizza. YES PIZZA this was so good they had different one everyday this half eaten one (my apologies) was ham. If you liked poached eggs you will like this.

20170504_072740_zpscwi0dktj.jpg

After I ate I went outside to the aft of the ship to look around and check out the weather it looked like rain was eminent. As I was out there so was the executive chef and had a nice chit chat with him.He asked how my experience was going. I learned he was on his last cruise for this contract and when we got back to Miami he was going back home to Italy.

We were off the ship by 9:00am. What I did notice MSC do not have a lot of photographers taking pictures of you. We only got our pictures taken 3 times. Once at embarkation and twice in the MDR. No port pictures were taken on the gangway at all. We decide to take a walk to San Cristobal square this is near the other fort San Cristobal imagine that.

_DSC0198_zpscvrk1gxr.jpg

Bellissimo

_DSC0199_zpst5kvncqi.jpg

Snail Mail anyone?

_DSC0200_zps4bkrsbgw.jpg

San Cristobal Statue in the Square

They have vendors and pigeons here the pigeons out numbered the vendors 30 to 1

_DSC0202_zpssnep00lw.jpg

That cloud above didn't look good then it let loose

You can see Fort Cristobal in the background it is the largest Spanish built fort in the new world

_DSC0203_zpsbkegdrqx.jpg

We hung out under a tree and I put the camera away so it wouldn't get wet. We saw a trolley there are 3 trolley lines in San Juan and they are free to ride and take donations. The red, green and black line take you around the city of Old San Juan. We hopped on the black trolley at stop 6 which was just south of where this picture above was taken. Two or 3 blocks from the cruise port this trolley will take you to both forts as well.

_DSC0204_zpszlwwu1ea.jpg

Here is what the trolley stops look like for the black line.

_DSC0223_zpsuh9p63vj.jpg

I like the blue cobblestone roads

_DSC0241_zps1f5igutx.jpg

Uh Oh looks like this pigeon lost her flip flop could have been a rough night or to much monfongo and gave her gout.

Edited by hockeyguru32

Kite flying at El Morrow very popular. TIP......if your going to this port of call go to the dollar store buy a kite and fly it here. When you're done with it give it to one of the local kids.

_DSC0220_zpskgq26wqc.jpg

_DSC0218_zpsirydfljg.jpg

Looking back towards San Cristobal. Where we are now is the big laneway going towards El Morro this is a long walk out when you've explored every inch of the fort like my son and I did 2 years ago.

_DSC0214_zpsuom22qqk.jpg

_DSC0215_zps4lqc5j97.jpg

Entrance to the El Morro Fort. Cost to get in here $5.00 or $6.75 Canadian. They will give you a ticket and hang onto that because it is good to get into San Cristobal as well and vice versa if you go to San Cristobal first. I think this is my favourite out of the two forts

_DSC0216_zpstwwe7nwz.jpg

Tried to get a picture of the light tower which you can climb half way up to the top.

_DSC0210_zpsa9x08lub.jpg

I think they are arguing over what way to go incase of the hurricane. Don't argue sir you'll never win just go where she is going.

_DSC0198_zpscvrk1gxr.jpg

Bellissimo

Nope! That's Divina! Bellissimo doesn't come into service 'til 2019 ;p :'):*

Sorry ............ I should add, still following along and enjoying it immensely!

Edited by Beamafar

_DSC0205_zpsabedpvng.jpg

It was getting close to lunch so we decided to go to our favourite watering hole when in San Juan. We got off on Trolley stop 3

20170503_091655_zpsb1bd0gtg.jpg

20170503_091657_zpswgjvyp62.jpg

Senior Frogs. We always have fun here and love their staff.

20170503_105936_zps5lfwpoer.jpg

The bartender welcomed us and asked where we were from. Obviously I'm wearing a red hat with a Maple Leaf on it. I said guess, he said Canada I said no MY MOTHER. He had a puzzled look I said I'm from my mother but I live in Canada. He got a good chuckle. I didn't want to explain to the kid the birds and the bees THAT'S his mother or fathers job, but being the good guy I am I would have explained. He asked what we would like and I said surprise us. He came back with.....

20170503_111301_zpsjek6ylxc.jpg

The local beer in San Juan, it was good choice too we were getting hungry so we asked for out bill and the beer was $6.00 US a piece you could get a 6 pack at CVS for $9.00.

_DSC0243_zpsfohp4qhr.jpg

How cute they match. She wanted to kiss him and I said NO you already have a prince

We did a little bit of walking around at the local vendors along the streets around the harbor front. We headed back to the ship for lunch, and again don't forget your ID and sign and sail card to get back into the cruise port. It was noon when we were on the ship. Dropped off our things in the room headed to the buffet for some salad, tacos and pizza.

We hung around the aqua deck had a couple of beverages and relaxed after a fun day in San Juan.

We chatted with a very nice older couple from Miami they have been on 52 cruises WOW!!!! They were playing rummy and while chatting with them we learnt how they came from Cuba to the United States for a better life. I asked if they would go back to Cuba on a cruise since they go there now and they were not sure if they would go back to see their home country. A lot Canadians do all inclusive vacations in Cuba, we visited there in 2010.

Nope! That's Divina! Bellissimo doesn't come into service 'til 2019 ;p :'):*

Sorry ............ I should add, still following along and enjoying it immensely!

Touche........ I bet that comes out in 2020

Back to the cabin we went to get dressed for supper. It was Italian themed night in the MDR and it was decorated in red, white and green. We got to our table at 6:00pm sat down and chatted to our tablemates about our day. We ordered at 6:16pm and apps arrived at 6:28pm

20170503_182838_zpsf1sjnani.jpg

DW's Tortellini Soup

20170503_182942_zpscikskhzw.jpg

My Calamari mmmmmmmmm

20170503_190107_zps0gppwpwj.jpg

DW Italian Rotisserie Chicken

20170503_190208_zps2s1vqwzv.jpg

My Swordfish Skewer with Tomato Sauce. Mains arrives at 7:03pm

20170503_192819_zpsnlnuvrpg.jpg

DW decided to try the Warm Chocolate Brownie that I had earlier in the week. She liked it, would I ever steer her wrong?

20170503_192942_zpscnifn7il.jpg

Nutella is a advertiser on this ship as is Lavazza coffee. I decided to try this Nutella sundae even though it was Wednesday. Desserts arrived at 7:28 and at 7:40 we left the MDR went to our cabin to get shorts and t-shirt on.

We decided to skip the show tonight it was The Best of Italian Classics and since Sophia Lauren wasn't going to be there we axed this night. We grabbed some drinks walked around the ship and reminisced of our wonderful day in San Juan even with the little bit of rain we had. We strolled over to the Aqua Park to see what was playing on the screen and it was The Minions. That didn't appeal to us so back to the cabin to see what movie was on the TV and called it a night. Lights out at 11:00pm

NEXT UP: Sea Day 3